Need help deciding: SCCY or Phoenix HP22A

This is a discussion on Need help deciding: SCCY or Phoenix HP22A within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Quick background: Im a very new shooter, have been to the range a handful of times, shot a .22 through a .40 without significant problem. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need help deciding: SCCY or Phoenix HP22A

Quick background: Im a very new shooter, have been to the range a handful of times, shot a .22 through a .40 without significant problem. Looking to get a gun 90% for just learning about it, learning to shot, plinking. 10% with an eye towards possibly getting my CCW and occasional carry during road trips and such.

Ive done a LOT of research (weeks of scouring the net and reading watching reviews, read Ayoobs book, in the middle of another book at the moment) and have narrowed it down to either a SCCY CPX-2 (9mm) or Phoenix Arms HP22a (a .22, likely the deluxe kit that includes a 3 and a 5 barrel).

Heres what I consider the pluses and minuses:

SCCY:
    9mm, good to go if I decide to go the CCW route
    Able to try my hand at IDPA matches (have never done one but they sound like a good time)
    Since its a DAO with double strike, Id be able to easily dry fire practice without having to constantly rack the slide. Put in a snap cap and click - click - click - click.

HP22A:
    About $100 less to purchase (range kit costs about 190 or so, comes with a 3 and 5 barrel)
    Ammo averages about half the cost of 9mm.
    Low recoil, easier to shot and learn well. The wife is also VERY apprehensive about guns in general, a .22 will be easier for her to handle.
    Not the ideal choice for CCW
    Cant try the IDPA matches.

I really like the lower cost to buy and shot the .22 but also like the ease of practice with the SCCY and the possibility of trying for a match every now and then.

Im not really asking for any suggestions outside of these, Ive already looked into the Glocks, Sigs, Taurus, etc. The SCCY and Phoenix get mostly very positive reviews, quite inexpensive and have lifetime warranties.

Which would you suggest and why?

I just returned a Sccy for a refund. They are hit or miss as to proper operation. Please save your money a while longer for something of better quality. For about $150 more you can get an S&W Shield or Springfield Armory XD.
    connsolo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I don't know what was wrong with etechstan's SCCY, but mine has been flawless. You can search for my other comments.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Fail to load. Tried different brands ammo, sent it back for repair once and when they returned it, it still wouldn't load. The slide always stopped app 1/4" from full forward. I would have to push it forward the rest of the way with my thumb. I have a 14 year old Glock 23C that has never malfunctioned. I rank Sccy right there with Hi-point. MHO and 22 years LEO background, I would not depend on a Sccy to protect my family and me.
    connsolo likes this.

Id get a better gun to be honest. even a used higher quality one.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    the new SCCYs have been getting good reviews

I own a sccy. It goes bang every time however, it has moving frame pins, the ejector snapped once, frame cracked, several bent recoil rods, broken extractor once. Customer service is great they always take care of it but it may take a few trips back. All these problems were within 1k rounds.

You realize that a larger pistol will have less felt recoil.
    Hope you consider 380's too.

Now if you asked for low cost, reliable pistols.....

Distinguished Member
    I would not go with a .22 for any self-defense weapon - it is just too small and too many issues. .22 is for practice, plinking and very small game IMHO.

I don't know much about SCCY, but I have not heard many good things. My recommendation would be to save a littel longer and get a better gun. If you are set on one or the other, go 9mm.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Right now you can buy a Taurs compact or slim for 255 bucks shiped .. A s&w 6906 for like 400 or less a used glock 22 40 cal for 350 .. Heck you can get a sig 228 or 229 for like 400 bucks 450 after all the fees ..Anyone of thouse I would take

The HP22 is made by a company that made ring of fire guns ( think Raven etc ) they will crack if you fire High velocty ammo out of them and have 3 plus safteis on them you have to take off to fire ( CA legal gun and made in CA thats why ..) ..

The sccy gen 2 is decent for what it is and the reviews are ok .. The take down needs tools ... It would be a ok carry gun but for a range first timer gun no no and no

I have owend el cheppo ring of fire speical .. Maybe some cheep fun at the range would I trust my life to them pro not

Look at pre owned Compact to full size guns the Cop trade in ones are nice ... You can get a nice gun for a good price ..

In TX you can legally have a gun loaded in you glove box etc of your car .. Thus I say get say a glock 23 compact or 19 compact or a sig 229 etc etc then you will have a gun you can carry and use as a Home defensive gun ...

22lr is at best margianal for protection .. Consider that the hp22 cant even fire the rounds that are recomding for carry in 22 ie stingers and mini mags ...
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Re reading your post OP why dont you want any other brands ?
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

To the OP, the .22 is only an option if you will be Only using it as a range toy, or plinking. As to the SCCY, I've never owned one. But it seems to be a hit or miss type quality from what I have read about it. Why not look into a used Smith or Taurus revolver with a 4" barrel? They can be had for around $250.00 if you look. And a .38 Special from a 4" barrel is very accurate, and a pussycat to shoot. And, I believe that you can use .38 Special revolvers in IDPA. Ammo for .38 SPECIAL is plentiful and cheap most places. That would be my opinion for your situation.
    Good gun control is hitting your target every time

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Which would you suggest and why?
    I would suggest you save your money and buy a better gun because I don't think you will be particularly happy with either of the options you have selected.
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I currently own a SCCY CPX-2, I also shoot IDPA regularly.
    The SCCY shoots reasonably well and accurately, but shooting it in timed competition against Glock 34's, XDM's, M&P's, etc. you'd get disheartened pretty darn quick. The trigger on a SCCY is why I will eventually pass on my SCCY, it's just too damned long of a pull to be a realistic self-defense weapon, the 'FTL' problems associated with SCCY are usually magazine related and a simple fix. The SCCY is a good choice, just be aware of its limitations.

Any .22, in my book, is strictly a range toy, I recently bought a .22 upper for my AR 15 to use as a cheap plinking gun when I feel like shooting a rifle, but the minute I get back home I swap it back to the 5.56 upper, if I ever had to grab my AR for defense, I want it to be able to perform the task, the .22 upper wouldn't.

Whatever you buy needs to fulfill 'your' needs, consider what you will be requiring this gun to do, is it capable of completing the tasks you ask of it?, do you feel comfortable holding/shooting/operating/maintaining the gun?, is your spouse going to have use of the gun?, will she be competent with all the aforementioned items?. Good luck with your purchase, while I would agree with the above posters that a 'better' gun would be a 'better' choice, the SCCY is by no means a 'bad' choice.

Sara Lou
    sammeow likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Either choice would be a last resort option for me. A new or used Ruger revolver or semi-auto would be a much better option for me.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links