Ammo for a 1911 Colt Police Positive 32

This is a discussion on Ammo for a 1911 Colt Police Positive 32 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Nickel 1911 Colt Police Positive 32 caliber 4". I do understand that this is chambered for the S&W 32 round, and ...

Thread: Ammo for a 1911 Colt Police Positive 32

I just bought a Nickel 1911 Colt Police Positive 32 caliber 4". I do understand that this is chambered for the S&W 32 round, and not the Colt round. Would standard 32 auto ammo be a huge mistake to try and run threw this gun? I looked at some today at my local shop, that's all they had, and all 3 employees said no at first. But, after grabbing the gun from my car and all 3 inspecting the 32 auto ( Sellier Bellot ) round in the gun, they all seemed to think in theory, clearance, and after lots of inspection, it just might be possible... Any suggestions would be great, I definitely don't want to hurt the newest member of the Family. Thank you!
    Attached Images

No, wait for the correct ammo. I have the same gun. Keep looking, you will find the correct ammo.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Euro ammo esp small cal tends to be hot loaded ( if all you can own load it hot) so that in a gun esp a gun that age nope...

A quick google turns up a lot of places online with it in stock so just order some and have fun...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by dakotalee View Post
    I just bought a Nickel 1911 Colt Police Positive 32 caliber 4". I do understand that this is chambered for the S&W 32 round, and not the Colt round. Would standard 32 auto ammo be a huge mistake to try and run threw this gun? I looked at some today at my local shop, that's all they had, and all 3 employees said no at first. But, after grabbing the gun from my car and all 3 inspecting the 32 auto ( Sellier Bellot ) round in the gun, they all seemed to think in theory, clearance, and after lots of inspection, it just might be possible... Any suggestions would be great, I definitely don't want to hurt the newest member of the Family. Thank you!
    GunBot 32sw pistol ammo

The .32 S&W Long is almost assuredly the correct ammunition for your little Police Positive. I have one from 1915 which is chambered for .32 S&W Long (well Colt termed it .32 New Police).

The .32 Long Colt was a dead duck by the time your gun was produced so it isn't likely .32 Long Colt. The .32 Long Colt would work in the revolver in a pinch but your not likely to run across any of that almost completely obsolete ammunition anyway.

The .32 ACP might work in the chamber of a .32 S&W Long revolver but the rim may be so slight as to allow the round to shift forward in a chamber. Head space would be altered and the firing pin might not make reliable contact with the primer. One would just have to try it to see. SAAMI listed working pressure for the .32 ACP is quite low although a bit higher than the standard working pressure of the .32 S&W Long. Unless the Colt revolver has a mechanical problem, it would handle the slight difference in pressure. In general it's not a great idea to shoot cartridges for which one's arm is not chambered and .32 S&W Long is not difficult to find. Best satisfaction would be to wait until a source for some proper ammunition could be tracked down.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    In general it's not a great idea to shoot cartridges for which one's arm is not chambered
    X100, unless you're a tricky Rooskie and design your weapons around cartridges just slightly larger than those of your enemy so that your weapons can use their ammo, but they can't use yours.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Sponsored Links