Need some critique

Need some critique

This is a discussion on Need some critique within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just read through an excellent thread by Whinebag, and it got me wondering how my grip and trigger control really is. I usually shoot ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Need some critique

Distinguished Member

Need some critique

I just read through an excellent thread by Whinebag, and it got me wondering how my grip and trigger control really is.
    I usually shoot between 15' to 25', the videos following are from 15'.
    Most of my hits are low and to the left, from any distance, so I am guessing trigger.
    I have played these videos back at 1/8 speed, and I don't see what I am doing wrong.

Since I can only insert one video per post, I will post in three consecutive posts.

If you are bored, and don't mind making suggestions, I will be glad to hear them.

Video 1: View from over the shoulder
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member
    Video 2: View from right side
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Distinguished Member
    Video 3: View from left side

I am no way an expert. But what has been told to me by some very good instructors is this.

Every shot should be a surprise. Slow gentle squeeze of the trigger with just the pad of your finger. If you jerk the least little bit it will pull your gun a little to the left. The further away you go the more pronounced this is. Trigger control is a must.

Try a one hole drill. Stand about 7-10 feet back from target and very slowly sight and shoot 6 shots. Try to make all your bullets go into the same hole. When you're done you should be able to put your finger in the hole. Slow is key. Take all the time you need between shots. No speed contest. Breathe easy and hold just at end of trigger pull. Keep trigger pulled and slowly release until reset then slowly squeeze again. This has helped me.

I have to really try to keep myself from shooting to fast. It is just fun to run thru a mag quick.

Good luck on your shooting.
    LuvMyPX4 and ccw9mm like this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    I am no way an expert. But what has been told to me by some very good instructors is this.

Every shot should be a surprise. Slow gentle squeeze of the trigger with just the pad of your finger. If you jerk the least little bit it will pull your gun a little to the left. The further away you go the more pronounced this is. Trigger control is a must.

Try a one hole drill. Stand about 7-10 feet back from target and very slowly sight and shoot 6 shots. Try to make all your bullets go into the same hole. When you're done you should be able to put your finger in the hole. Slow is key. Take all the time you need between shots. No speed contest. Breathe easy and hold just at end of trigger pull. Keep trigger pulled and slowly release until reset then slowly squeeze again. This has helped me.

I have to really try to keep myself from shooting to fast. It is just fun to run thru a mag quick.

Good luck on your shooting.
    You are right, I probably need to slow way down. I usually go through a 15 round mag in less than 30 seconds (videos were around 25 seconds). I also noticed that even with the 1/4 speed that these YouTube videos allow, I am totally resetting my trigger finger, and then quickly squeeze to just before the SA starts.

Just playing with so many things in each shot (breathing, stand, grip, trigger, arms bent, eyes, natural tremor in hands, etc) Not sure how some of you shoot so well and make it look easy. (I know, lot's of practice)
    Navydude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyPX4 View Post
    You are right, I probably need to slow way down. I usually go through a 15 round mag in less than 30 seconds (videos were around 25 seconds).
    Far, far to quickly, if having POI issues, possible trigger issues.

Start with, say, 1 shot every 10 seconds (or more). Take your time to set up, to focus on the fundamental grip, breathing, aim, and slow/smooth trigger squeeze. After a few dozen shots it should begin to become an utter surprise when the sear breaks.

If you can start at 7-8ft or so, as Navydude suggests, you ought to be able to neatly place a short series of shots where you please. Either through the same hole, or around the outside of a 2in circle. Once you've nailed it with slow fire, then try drawing from concealment and doing single shots, one shot at a time. Holster. Then go through the next draw, present, fire. Try to be as accurate as before. Once all that's clicking, then you can worry about speeding up. Of course, then you've got off-hand drills, for the same basic accuracy. Fun, huh?
    LuvMyPX4, DingBat and Navydude like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I will qualify me comments with the statement that I am by no means an expert! So here goes.

I think the thumb placement of both hands is unusual. Typically the right thumb would be over the top of the left with the left hand tucked more inside of the right hand if that makes sense. And the thumbs would be run down the side of the gun towards the target. Can your thumb placement be the issue? Again I'm not an expert, just noting things I see in the video.

The second thing I saw is that in videos 1 and 2 your left index finger is on the front of the trigger guard. In the 3rd video the left index finger is overlapping the right fingers, where I think it works best.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    Nice job with the video! Looks to me like you are tensing up a bit before the shot in preparing for the recoil. Relax and embrace the recoil. You are not going to prevent it and you will need to reacquire the next shot.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

image.jpg this may help

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    image.jpg this may help
    Hard to give good analysis without seeing your target but the chart Easy8 posted will give you a starting point.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Of course, then you've got off-hand drills, for the same basic accuracy. Fun, huh?
    I actually shoot as good single handed (either hand) as I do two handed. Granted, with single handed I shoot a little slower, about 1 every 3 or 4 seconds. But, I bet that will be going down to 10 - 15 seconds soon for better control.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Nice job with the video! Looks to me like you are tensing up a bit before the shot in preparing for the recoil. Relax and embrace the recoil. You are not going to prevent it and you will need to reacquire the next shot.
    OK, I didn't catch that one, but it makes sense. When I first started shooting about 6 months ago, I would almost jerk in anticipation, until I realized and was convinced that the PX4 has so little recoil.
    BUT, how do I relax and embrace the recoil. To me that means relax all the muscles, but somehow still hold the gun firm. It is that magic somehow that has me stumped.
    Recon1342 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Here was my 10' shots last month with shots placed about every 4 seconds. Target is about 6" or so across white middle area.
    4th Group 10 Yds Slow Bent Arm.JPG
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The second vid, is that your left index finger sticking out? I don't see it in the other two vids, but it looks like it, so I'll go on as if it is.
    I would get that tucked in with the rest of them (especially from a safety standpoint). And it's showing you don't have a consistent grip. That and you seem to always be adjusting your grip once the shooting starts. You want to have the same grip each time, provided it's a correct grip, so all you need to think about is controlling your trigger finger. And also different pressures with different fingers or thumbs can tend to throw your shots. I tend to grip the pistol pretty tight. Real tight with my strong hand and pretty tight with the weak hand.

You said most of your shots are low and left. If I was shooting low and left I would bump the rear sight to the right. And maybe the gun just shoots low with your sight picture.

Just saw the pic. That's a pretty big group for 10'. It's probably not your sights.
    Navydude and gatorbait51 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links