Sig "Dropped Pistol" Warning

This is a discussion on Sig "Dropped Pistol" Warning within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up a new Sig P226 recently. In looking at the manual, I noticed a small section called "WARNING - DROPPED PISTOL". It says, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Sig "Dropped Pistol" Warning

I picked up a new Sig P226 recently. In looking at the manual, I noticed a small section called "WARNING - DROPPED PISTOL". It says, "If dropped, the pistol may fire. Keep the chamber empty unless actually firing! ANY GUN MAY FIRE IF DROPPED"

This seems similar to the warning in the Glock manuals which stated that Glocks should always be carried with an empty chamber. I think that's been changed now. I can't remember seeing a manual, though, where they specifically say to not have a round chambered unless firing due to the possibility it will fire when dropped. I know what some will say, "I would never carry a pistol where the manufacturer has to give a warning like that." I think that's why they put that last bit at the end in all caps: ANY GUN MAY FIRE IF DROPPED. They're trying to point it that it's not a Sig problem, but just a general acknowledgement about firearms. I would agree that any gun could fire if dropped, though with modern internal safeties on pistols it's almost impossible.

Another one of those "don't carry your gun with a round in the chamber" kind of warnings, which I find interesting. The manufacturer knows full well that any competent person carrying the gun will have a round chambered, but they also have to make the lawyers happy. It's a shame because then some people probably do follow the advice, though if they haven't had sufficient training to know it's stupid advice then maybe they are the kind of people that shouldn't have a round chambered (or be carrying in the first place). Weird that "training" includes learning to ignore the advice in the manual.
    gatorbait51 and OutdoorEnvy like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    "The gull who flies highest sees furthest."

VIP Member
    Lawyers meet potential lawsuit opportunities. They can screw up a ... well, pretty much anything. If you study a Glock's safety systems I'd love to hear some atty explain how it would fire (unless some idiot tries to catch it after dropping it). This is another example of attys trying to run the world with their factually impaired vision. Same kind of vision with which anti gunners view the world.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Spontaneous human combustion is possible.

I still refuse to wear asbestos drawers.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I would weigh what I thought were the chances that my gun might fire if dropped, and if I thought that chance greater than a fraction of one percent, I'd find another gun. I'm carrying with a chambered round, or I'm carrying a DA revolver. At the current state of firearm development, I'm NOT going to carry a semi with an empty chamber or a DA revolver with an empty cylinder under the hammer.
    gatorbait51 and DingBat like this.

What? You put <gasp> bullets in your pistol?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

What a novel idea! Bullets ... in a pistol.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

If I remember correct one of the pre requist of the 1968 GCA was handguns have to be drop safe .... Other then some old old semi or really cheep one and single action older models most guns should be drop safe ...

I think this is just lawyer cover there bum stuff

I think of all the guns I have use or shoot over the many moons there is maybe 3 or so I would not carry loaded .. Either very old /// very cheep or open bolt never carry a open bolt handgun loaded ...
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Good ol' lawyers.

They are hardly impaired. They are quite focused and disciplined. They are after money and can smell a lucrative lawsuit from 4000 yards.

And if no such lawsuit is within range, no problem. They'll fabricate one.

VIP Member
    I have several Old Model (three screw) Ruger revolvers that if all six chambers are loaded they WILL discharge if dropped and they land on the hammer. Ruger came out with the New Model with the transfer bar after they were raped to the tune of a couple of million dollars when someone carrying an Old Model with all six chambers loaded dropped it and shot himself in the leg.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Great. Now there's warning labels for the feeble of mind
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

This is why for my first carry gun I bought a Dao, with a shrouded hammer and an inertial firing pin. I'm willing to bet I could drop it off a 3 story building onto cement and it wouldn't fire.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have several Old Model (three screw) Ruger revolvers that if all six chambers are loaded they WILL discharge if dropped and they land on the hammer. Ruger came out with the New Model with the transfer bar after they were raped to the tune of a couple of million dollars when someone carrying an Old Model with all six chambers loaded dropped it and shot himself in the leg.
    Probably the best solution. I guess they could have etched WARNING: MAY FIRE IF DROPPED in big letters along the barrel. Or maybe a siren that goes off continuously whenever a round is in the top chamber...
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    Great. Now there's warning labels for the feeble of mind
    Yep.

gun-safety-warning.jpg
    maxwell97 and lionround like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I just keep MURPHY'S LAW in mind, and try not to drop my firearm (Which i had once, thought my wife was going to freakout. I explained about the DROP SAFETY feature, that helped)
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links