handgunlaw.us

handgunlaw.us

This is a discussion on handgunlaw.us within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wondering why handgunlaw states "This US Map is hot-linked to the state Information ....." then why does the site say that the information be ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarge65
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Gary Slider
  • 1 Post By cjohnson44546
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By TRX

Thread: handgunlaw.us

handgunlaw.us

I'm wondering why handgunlaw states "This US Map is hot-linked to the state Information ....." then why does the site say that the information be verified? If it's hotlinked to each states website info then shouldn't it be 100% accurate? Apparently, it isn't accurate (?) since it shows that SD recognizes NE permits but when I go to the SD website it doesn't show NE as recognized.

Many states gov web sites lag behind on changes to their statutes. That's why handgunlaw usually gives you several of the state websites including the legislative sites so you can do your due diligence.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I hope I can keep all these laws straight. I plan to travel around surrounding states but I guess I'll have to carry a binder with all the state laws. It'll be a pain to have to consult this info all the time.

Because the site owner of handgunlaw.us can not possibly keep up with all the changes that occur across the 50 states. He does it as a good place to start your research and to help the community. He does a real decent job. Just keep in mind, any legal advice you get from the internet is worth every dime you pay for it, YMMV.
    StevePVB likes this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I'm wondering why handgunlaw states "This US Map is hot-linked to the state Information ....." then why does the site say that the information be verified? If it's hotlinked to each states website info then shouldn't it be 100% accurate?
    There are hotlinks in the resulting PDF's. Those links are at the upper-right of each PDF that pops up. And in each of the statute references within the PDF, those links take you to the state's rendition of that language.

I'd think the warning to verify is simple recognition that handgunlaw.us is NOT the state statutes but merely summary of them. And, time delays and fat fingering being what it is, and given the fact that the states aren't going to be acknowledging handgunlaw.us's (or anyone else's) take on state statutes, it would only be reasonable for a person to verify everything found.

IOW: it's a useful took, handgunlaw.us, but it's only a starting point.
    spclopr8tr and brocktice like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    NECCdude

Look at the SD page again. SD honors all other states permit/licenses. That info is in the first section under the Map on the SD Page. The Map on the SD Page shows states that honor SD not states that SD honors. Look at the legend on the map. NE does not honor SD but SD honors them.

Also want to add that some of the states so called official sites have disclaimers also. They state the info is for informational purposes only and not to be taken as the law. That is standard procedure for almost all sites to keep the lawyers away.
    Nmuskier likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are hotlinks in the resulting PDF's. Those links are at the upper-right of each PDF that pops up. And in each of the statute references within the PDF, those links take you to the state's rendition of that language.
    The simple fact they are even PDF files annoys the heck out of me, but I guess thats the web developer in me talking... not all of us want the vulnerabilities involved with making PDFs viewable in a browser, or having to download PDFs, then view them. So easy to just put the info in HTML, and anyone who wants a PDF can make a PDF simply from that, or have both...

oops, sorry for the rant... I'm still happy there are some people who keep up with all this info and make it available.

I think even if the info was 100% accurate, I'd still put a disclaimer on it before some jerk tried to sue me.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I'm wondering why handgunlaw states "This US Map is hot-linked to the state Information ....." then why does the site say that the information be verified? If it's hotlinked to each states website info then shouldn't it be 100% accurate? Apparently, it isn't accurate (?) since it shows that SD recognizes NE permits but when I go to the SD website it doesn't show NE as recognized.
    Gary does a lot of work to stay on top of all the changes, but my understanding is that sometimes he gets conflicting information from state officials, and sometimes states take forever to update their pages.
    TRX likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I hope I can keep all these laws straight. I plan to travel around surrounding states but I guess I'll have to carry a binder with all the state laws. It'll be a pain to have to consult this info all the time.
    Welcome to reality.

Fifty states in the US, fifty different sets of laws governing nearly everything for which there's a law. Business laws, real estate laws, traffic laws, even - amazingly - gun laws.

Traffic laws are similar in that they also demand your attention as you travel from state to state. Pass on the right in Arizona? No problem. Do it in Connecticut and you'll get a stiff fine.

Just one of life's little hardships.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    IMO. When it comes to laws, reference and cross reference is a good thing. I think that he does a really good job keeping up on all of it.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    Look at the SD page again. SD honors all other states permit/licenses. That info is in the first section under the Map on the SD Page. The Map on the SD Page shows states that honor SD not states that SD honors. Look at the legend on the map. NE does not honor SD but SD honors them.
    OK. I see it now. I was looking at the reciprocity agreement link instead of the recognition link.

TRX
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Fifty states in the US, fifty different sets of laws governing nearly everything for which there's a law. Business laws, real estate laws, traffic laws, even - amazingly - gun laws.
    Many foreigners think of the USA as a country. I usually have to explain to them that it's a union, just like the European Union, and that each of the 50 states is a "member state", not just an administrative district. My country's head of state is Mike Beebe, and he has his own army, levies his own taxes, and empowers his own police. We have our own courts, our own laws, and our own Constitution. My country gave up the right to wage war on its own behalf when it joined the United States of America, but but Arkansas is still a country, like, say, Scotland.
    ccw9mm likes this.

I've been reading through all the state statutes of the states I plan on traveling through. Wish me luck in not getting arrested. It would be nice if a lot of these laws were changed from criminal to civil penalties for non-violent transgressions. People make mistakes and error in judgements - just like they do when driving an automobile.

VIP Member
    Laws change constantly. Gary does a very good job of keeping up with changes and updating the site. That said things can get overlooked, or changed without notice. It is everyone's responsibility to know the laws of the state your in. By providing the link to each state, it is a easy reference to use. Before finding this site, I tried to research gun laws, by doing web searches. You end up with thousands of hits, some not even being for the state you input for. Many times the hits you receive are outdated and no longer valid. While Handgunlaw.us isn't perfect, it's one of the best resources out there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sponsor
    Or you could just forego carrying while traveling if you're that worried about it.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Links