Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting

This is a discussion on Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Forgot to mention, i use a retention cord too. Don't want to look and see my HK decided to stay behind some miles back....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting

Lead Moderator
    Forgot to mention, i use a retention cord too. Don't want to look and see my HK decided to stay behind some miles back.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I was raised in the mountans of the Adirondacks. Trail blazing was one of my favorite hobbies.

I eather carryed a .223 H&R or Thompson Center G2 with a Ruger Standard .22lr or stainless 4" GP-100. Depending on where, and the season.
    I used a Bandolier holster for the Ruger Or T/C, and a DeSantis thumb break for the Gp-100.

Here in oregon we have few wilderness threats. Maybe a bear up tward the washington border but definitly not in lower parts of oregon. I carry my S&W 686 4" with .357 Hydrashok ammo in 3 of the 6 holes and snake shot in the other three. I can choose which ammo is best for the situation. My reload i carry on my belt is EFMJ.
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I use a Blackhawk tac rig. I found waist carry gets in the way of the belt strap on the pack and my HK was constantly getting hit by the pack frame.
    I found the same problem. I really don't want to get into making my own holsters but don't mind throwing an idea for the guys already making them...Starting making holsters that can be attached to the front belt/waist bands on the heavy duty packs.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I found the same problem. I really don't want to get into making my own holsters but don't mind throwing an idea for the guys already making them...Starting making holsters that can be attached to the front belt/waist bands on the heavy duty packs.
    Wow!!! That's a really good idea. One of those "Duh!" things I wish I had thought of. Only problem is that hipbelts tend to be of varying thickness, so one would have to develop an adjustable belt system. You know... I'm gonna try and attach my drop holster to my pad. Just have to find some way to increase retention..... Hmmm...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Lead Moderator
    my pack belt is not thick or strong enough to support my gun w/o flexing or sliding around on the belt.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Thats kind of what I did, but put it on the shoulder strap. I used an existing nylon holster and took it to a tailor and had him sew it on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member
    I carry a Taurus 445 (2.5" ported 5 shot in 45 long colt). I carry it in a crossdraw holster at the 10:30 for a number of reasons:

I don't bump it carrying my rifle on the right shoulder or in my left hand.
    I can carry my bow in my left hand and still not bump it
    If jumped by a black bear (has happened a couple of times out here) the natural instinct is to roll up....I can still reach my pistol and maybe get some type of defensive shot
    It doesn't hang up on brush.

I also carry a s&w m-29 44 mag 4" the same way. It just is a little too big to pack but is much more powerful if I am in big bear country.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I stopped hiking/camping/climbing about a year before I got into guns, but since then I've given it plenty of thought. Depending on the activity, chances are I'd carry my S&W Model 19 in a crossdraw arrangement attached to the pack straps around the chest/abdomen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links