Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting

This is a discussion on Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Typically I would post this on a backpacking forum, but I'm fairly sure I would be banned from their forums. haha I love getting away ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Backpacking, Hiking, and Hunting

Typically I would post this on a backpacking forum, but I'm fairly sure I would be banned from their forums. haha

I love getting away from civilization for a few days and hiking into the mountains with some gear n food and trucking back out. I will occasionally go with friends, but mostly by myself. For those of you who do this as well, you know the love I have for getting away. No cellphones, fax machines, TV... Anyhow... Anytime I go up there, I will usually haul at least one of my firearms. You never know what you will run into. Javelinas, Coyotes (and other wild dogs), strange people...

I don't like to use my carry holster for my HK because it is not comfortable over the long term, nor is the retention good for climbing. I used to take rifles but they are excessive for anything I'm liable to run into and we RARELY have bear here. I've started using a tacticool theigh holster and it seems to work fairly well and is somewhat comfortable.

Anyone else on here who likes backpacking, hiking or taking a handgun along when they hunt? Anyone have any suggestions for the best way to carry their weapon? Anyone just place it in a backpack or fannypack?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

I hike a lot here in New Mexico. I don't carry concealed when hiking as I want access to my weapon without going through clothing, around backpack straps etc. So I carry open using an Uncle Mike's ambidexterous hip holster.

Tim

Senior Moderator
    I have a Uncle Mikes belt holster that I wear on my shoulder strap. I like to carry a .357 with a 4 inch barrel. I can belt carry it once we set-up camp

I usually carry a 1911 open carry when in the woods.
    I also have a .22 in my backpack for small game.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

I'd suggest a Wilderness Safepacker. It's a little more subtle than open carry, and it provides good retention and more protection for the gun.

I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm, because my primary concern is people. I have chased racoons and coyotes away with a hiking pole :), and bears are not interested in me.

I use the clip attached to the side of the pistol to attach it to the hip straps of my pack. That pistol has been through more rain and snow than I can remember and it keeps on tickin. I really see no need to conceal in the backcountry.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Usually I either use a Yaqui slide (once we're in camp and just chilling there) or a tacticool leg drop holster.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

When I lived in Cali, I loved to get out in the desert away from everyone and everything. Strapped to my side was a 4" barreled .357 magnum.
    If one ventures into the desert without a gun, they need their head examined...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    1911 in a Yaqui slide, or a 5-inch 629 Classic in a hip holster.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Administrator
    I ride dual sport motorcycles, so I get out into areas that rarely see much human traffic at all, I've run through pot farms, meth labs and even what looked like some sort of satanic place of worship
    I forgot about the moonshine still in KY, I thought prohibition was over?
    You bet I carry! I had a small holster for my Kahr or keltec sewn in the front strap of my camel pack. If you were in the military, it sits just like a first aid kit on a alice pack. Just below the shoulder and above the pectoral.
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 11th, 2007 at 11:20 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    I use a Blackhawk tac rig. I found waist carry gets in the way of the belt strap on the pack and my HK was constantly getting hit by the pack frame.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah. The day hikes aren't bad for the OWB holsters unless you do a little scrambling, etc. Usually you can get away with a normal backpack for that. For the longer hikes, I couldn't fathom trying to use a regular holster with the hip belts. Since I've been doin that, I haven't used my OWB rig with the big bag.

These are really good suggestions. Glad I'm not the only one who can find a good use for the tacticool rigs. haha Anyone got any crazy backcountry stories?

A1C Lickey - where do you head off to? I'm up north of you and generally hike over the Mingus Range or up around Mt SanFransico @ Flagstaff....
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Bears are a conceren where I hike so I carry a S&W 629 44 magnum in an Uncle Mikes holster. Not my favorite holster but it does the trick. If I am not in a place where I have to worry about bears I have a thigh rig for my 1911 and Beretta 92FS. I like that setup as it keeps the gun from banging around as I walk or climb.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I carry my 44 mag Mountain Gun in a Don Hume holster just behind my right hip. It is comfortable and easy to get to if I have to. Steve48

CCH
    I'll cast another vote for the Wilderness Safepacker. I've been using one for several years for just the duty you describe. It is very unobtrusive when attached to the hipbelt of a backpack and gives some added protection to your gun when bushwhacking. It is not a quick draw rig, but is faster than you might think with a bit of practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links