RANGE GUN ....to....RACE GUN

This is a discussion on RANGE GUN ....to....RACE GUN within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Other threads have emphasized that "if you have only one gun you may suddenly have no gun". Well, yes. Fortunately this happened to me this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: RANGE GUN ....to....RACE GUN

VIP Member

Other threads have emphasized that "if you have only one gun you may suddenly have no gun". Well, yes.

Fortunately this happened to me this morning at the range - not in a SD situation.

I opened my gun rug to remove my G34 which I've been using lately for competitions. Hanging out from the side was a sheared off slide lock pin. OOPS. Not useable. Gramps was mad because he said, "I can fix that in 5 minutes" and I said, "No you can't!". His parts are at home, we were at the club, and the pin was obviously sheared off.

The only other gun I had with me was my Skinny Minnie G42 carry gun and you can NOT shoot a moving, timed, 32 round course of fire with a G42 and only two 6 round magazines.

As luck would have it there was ONE other shooter there this morning with a 9mm Glock and he generously offered to let me use his gun. As "UNLUCK" would have it this was a fully tricked out race gun - totally custom frame, slide, and everything you can put on one gun.

I was barely able to get my hands around the extra large grip with the fat laser attachment at the top of the backstrap. Then there was the great big fat red dot sight in the front. And also the big heavy flashlight hanging from the bottom of the receiver rail.

SO - OK - I'm a tough old bird so I gave it a go. I made it through 22 rounds and then as I aimed at the last of the 6 hanging plates through the barrier window, "click". Or rather, pulled trigger and NO CLICK, NO BANG.

So I tried removing the magazine. NOPE. I tried pulling back the slide. NOPE. Yes, there was a round in the chamber, and no it didn't look like it was crooked. It took Both Gramps and Barry who was the other range officer -- both at the same time -- pulling and tugging to clear the gun. Then Barry handed it back to me and said, "Continue". I looked back at him and said, "I'm DONE", which meant I didn't get to shoot all the rest of the steel plates or the swinging/moving cardboard targets. Bummer.

I know the problem was limp wristing because of the huge grip and laser bump. One of the other shooters said he had never seen a gun move so much in my hands while I was shooting. I also knew that if I tried to finish the course of fire it was likely that the same thing would happen again.

Anyway, other things happened to make for a not happy day, but by late afternoon I had cleaned my gun and Gramps had found the proper pin in in his parts "stuff" and all is well again.

Lessons learned:

When is one gun "no gun"? Anytime something breaks.

Next time the little voice in my head says "put another gun in your range bag" I will DO THAT.

AND maybe I should seriously consider trying to figure how to carry a second gun on my slim body for everyday carry.

- probably a lot of youse guys are going to make cute comments about Glock Perfection.......even though you know that parts are parts and parts can break........but go ahead and say it anyway.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

If it's man made..it can break. Smart words One Is None....time to buy myself a second gun.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Distinguished Member
    Kennydale is right. I've been thinking a lot lately that one may not be enough, because as you showed, if a Glock can fail, so can a B B. Sorry, can't bring myself to say it.

Better start saving my quarters to get Beretta #2. May take a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51, Navydude and DingBat like this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your PX4 & your CZ and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.”

NRA Member
    Full Time Firearm Student

When I was younger, I always wondered why a puny little race car required a 52ft tractor trailer rig to move it around. Then I realized there were spare engines, parts and tools inside the remaining 30ft of those beasts.

Two is one, one is none. Good reminder from those who've been there to see gear fail. Or, the "Team Ferrari" (tractor trailer) principle.

No wonder a good range bag is golden. All the better for carrying a couple spare sidearms, spare parts, plenty of spare magazines, tools, ...

Sorry to hear of your bobbles, Granny. Happens to everyone, at some point.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; July 3rd, 2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Granny, I used to shoot Cowboy action, Half way through a match I broke a trigger spring on a SAA Colt Clone. I had a spare So between stages I took my gun apart. While it was open it didn't look just right, so I opened the other to compare. While they were both open the wind caught the towel I was working over and dumped all the tiny screws into the dirt and grass! Needless to say those two guns were done for the day.
    But A guy offered me a pair of Black Powder pistols to finish with. Boy did I feel like a fish out of water! I finished, But not with a fast time! DR

Distinguished Member
    Gramps I know how you feel. It is good to have an independent wife but they can be a pain in the repair department sometimes. Granny I have to laugh could it be you are that good at breaking things?

Happy Fourth of July.

Respectfully,
    Bill

PS Gramps don't let her touch the BBQ

Lead Moderator
    Stuff breaks, spare parts or guns are always a good idea. Usually shooting someone else's different gun is more challenging.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

this is why I have 4 Glock 19's and 3 Glock 17's.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

One gun? What is this "one gun" stuff?

More like "one gun" a month for me. When I go to a shoot, my bag carries at least three Glocks, an M&P or two, a Walther, maybe a 1911, possibly a SIG 229, and a SIG P238 in case we decide to have a BUG run.

And a j frame in my pocket to get me there.

One can break, grenade, or there could be some new guy who wants to get into shooting but has no gun.

You must get more. A lot more.

Yes I know. I have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    One gun? What is this "one gun" stuff?

More like "one gun" a month for me. When I go to a shoot, my bag carries at least three Glocks, an M&P or two, a Walther, maybe a 1911, possibly a SIG 229, and a SIG P238 in case we decide to have a BUG run.

And a j frame in my pocket to get me there.

One can break, grenade, or there could be some new guy who wants to get into shooting but has no gun.

You must get more. A lot more.

Yes I know. I have issues.
    one gun a month? Yep, that's about right. I would buy five a month, but my mortgage, car payment and food expense just keeps getting in the way.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

That's a drag, but chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. What else can you do? ;)
    DingBat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post

When is one gun "no gun"? Anytime something breaks.

seriously consider trying to figure how to carry a second gun
    I identified two key ideas for folks with short attention
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

This is why my EDC does nightstand duty with my HD gun... You never know when you will need a second gun

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Bad Bob likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Wow, S-G, Awesome story. Props for shooting courses. Wouldn't want to take that ride back from the Range with an Angry Grannie?

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    this is why I have 4 Glock 19's and 3 Glock 17's.
    Hmm. Ever had that feeling 'now -what- did I do with Gun #5, the second G-17, or was that the first one? I've had a few 'sinking feeling's having hidden one (from myself, apparently). It's just chilling...How in the world do you keep track?
    kaikane0812 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links