Home Defense 45 ACP

Home Defense 45 ACP

This is a discussion on Home Defense 45 ACP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so I'm looking for a 45 ACP to replace a family heirloom pistol. I fired my brother's G37-45 GAP and I loved it. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Home Defense 45 ACP

Home Defense 45 ACP

Ok so I'm looking for a 45 ACP to replace a family heirloom pistol. I fired my brother's G37-45 GAP and I loved it. I already have a G26 so ideally another Glock would be fine. This will be kept in the nightstand for defense. I'm looking for one that I could put a night sight on or a rail for a tactical light I guess. Suiggestions? I'd like to spend less than $1000.

21sf .. Great gun railed at or under 550 new

And you can put a 10mm slide on it and fire 10mm

Then if you like it get it a 30sf or 36 fir cc
    LeanHard, Bigsteve113 and sensei2 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Not sure I completely understand your situation but nothing plastic is going to replace a family heirloom type pistol.

Drop the grand on a Colt .45.

You can even get one with a rail in your ballpark $ if that's a real sticking point.

Now you have a new family heirloom.
    JDavisArk likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Replace is probably not the right wording I guess. I want to put the family 45 up nice and safe and I'd like another 45 to shoot and keep as a nightstand weapon. I hardly ever fire the colt 45 that is the family heirloom so I'm not familar with the colt platform.

Lots of good choices out there. If you like Glock-type actions, like wrongrec says, the Glocks are there - although the grip will probably be bulkier on the .45 ACP versions than on the .45 GAP version you fired.

Other good similar options are an M&P 45 or 45C, Ruger SR45, and XD. You can probably get one or another HK under $1000, but it will be pretty close to $1000.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

HK45s are right at a grand. USPs should be a bit cheaper.

45? A Glock 30 or M&P 45 would be fine choices. As would a SIG P220, but now it gets a bit steeper, like HK.

I have a friend with a Glock 37 who may be interested in selling. I dunno. He wants a 9mm. Only problem with 45 GAP is feeding it.

Or get a good 1911. Everybody should.

I've got the Glock 21sf for a night stand gun. It certainly serves the purpose well. Chambered in 45 ACP, good capacity, and has a rail light attached. You can't go wrong with the 21sf if you're looking for a simple functional .45 night stand gun. Not particularly nice looking if that's important to you, but functional.
    sensei2 likes this.

The SF is a the slim frame gun ( less bulk if you will ) same mags thoough.. Hold it and then hold a normal 21 you will see the difference

45gap is a nice round .. But the thing to think about is at times it can be tricker to find and also this the max mag size of any 45gap glock is 10 rounds there is no mag higer then that no matter where you live ... 45 glock tops out at 13+1 in the chamber
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by dragon671 View Post
    Replace is probably not the right wording I guess. I want to put the family 45 up nice and safe and I'd like another 45 to shoot and keep as a nightstand weapon. I hardly ever fire the colt 45 that is the family heirloom so I'm not familar with the colt platform.
    Well, as mentioned, a Glock 21 would be the obvious way to go if you want a full size .45acp and want to stay with Glock. If you want a workhorse that will do the job, buy one.
    Smarshe and nortelrye like this.

G21 is quite a chunk to hold, but it meets your expectations with 13+1 rounds 45ACP on hand. The G21SF is sort of an odd deal, but you might like it. As Glock as I am (in most instances especially for carry), I still end up going for the fit and feel of steel and single stack for my 45ACP home defense scenario. My SIG P220 SAO is ideal for me and night sights and rail are all important for the task. Mil-spec 1911 is another good bet IMO. Under a grand for total package? Not a problem. Granted...sticking with a platform you are adept with such as Glock makes sense in ways. But you say 45ACP. The 45GAP is a different story, and possibly why you like the fit and feel since it's built on same size frame as the smaller/medium calibers. Just try hunting ammo for that 45GAP (and shelling out big bucks), and it may be a deal breaker.
    Suggestions? Open up some new doors and forget about Glock for a while. Learn a new platform with a thumb safety and single action. It may be the best choice for what you're looking for. Just sayin'.
    Kept in the nightstand for HD and you might very well want something with a safety rather than grab for a loaded Glock (without holster) out of a drawer in the middle of the night and darkness. Thoughts to ponder.
    G17leb and RebelSoul like this.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    For night stand only, The G21 is great. However, one of the G30 models with a G21 magazine is just as good and gives you the option of carrying also.
    Grantspastor likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I use the G41 as a nightstand weapon. Its a blast at the range to. I picked up a Blue Line Concealment single clip iwb for it an was pleasantly surprised how easy it carried no harder than a 21. I reload so I just ordered a Bar-Sto semi fit barrel so I can shoot lead in it. Great weapon comes with adjustable rear sight an 3 mags for around 625.00 hard to beat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Only problem with 45 GAP is feeding it.
    +1. .45 ACP is certainly easier to find around here than .45 GAP.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For night stand only, The G21 is great. However, one of the G30 models with a G21 magazine is just as good and gives you the option of carrying also.
    When I carry a Model 30, my second magazine is a Model 21 magazine with a grip adapter; search for A & G magazine spacer.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Look at the Sigs in 45. I have the Sig M11-A1 in 9mm and they are high qulity guns. The Sig 220 or the Sig 227. The sig 227 would be my choice for a home defense 45.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

First, stay away from the .45 Gap...

My nightstand gun is the Glock-21 SF...add a SureFire x300...the perfect HD gun, IMHO.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links