Practicality war: Noveske Keymod vs Geiselle MLOK

This is a discussion on Practicality war: Noveske Keymod vs Geiselle MLOK within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, which is the better rail? I know that key mod is skinnier and was considered "the best" by everyone. Also...is the MLOK free-floated?...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By beni
  • 1 Post By beni
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By Fallschirmjäger
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04

Thread: Practicality war: Noveske Keymod vs Geiselle MLOK

Question Practicality war: Noveske Keymod vs Geiselle MLOK

So, which is the better rail? I know that key mod is skinnier and was considered "the best" by everyone.

Also...is the MLOK free-floated?

2. Remove Ads

No one has any advice on which rail to get?

I'd weight in, but this one is out of my area of expertise.
    american23 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Which one is better will depend on what you are trying to get out of it. What attribute is most important to you in a rail?
    OD* and american23 like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

From my understanding the MLOK rail mounting system was just released this year to compete with the Keymod. So there probably aren't very many people with experience using the MLOK. From my experience with my Noveske Keymod rail I enjoy it because of the weight and the Keymod system allows me to place rails or accessories where I need them. The only problem with the Keymod is that there doesn't seem to be very many different accessories for it. Which works for me because all I have mounted to my keymod is a sling adapter.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Which one is better will depend on what you are trying to get out of it. What attribute is most important to you in a rail?
    Accuracy...durability...weight...just practical things. I was originally going to get a DD Omega rail for my 6920 SOCOM...but everyone was saying that Keymod is the best (before MLOK came out).

It's a home-defense/range rifle if it matters.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I personally don't like quad rails because it makes my grip on it awkward. The NSR also has a smaller diameter and is smooth all the way around which is another reason I went with one.
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    Accuracy...durability...weight...just practical things. I was originally going to get a DD Omega rail for my 6920 SOCOM...but everyone was saying that Keymod is the best (before MLOK came out).

It's a home-defense/range rifle if it matters.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Are you planning on mounting anything on the handguard? Does anything you are mounting require zeroing? What do you mean by "accuracy"? How accurate is acceptable to you? Does your rifle have a standard FSB? Are you comfortable installing a free-float system, or paying someone to do so?
    american23 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The MLOK looks more secure to me. The keymod rails I always envision someone bumping the gun on something and knocking all their tacticool accessories off. I'm no fan of quad rails anyways, but do understand their usefulness. That's why when I built my AR I went with the Todd Jarrett hand guard from Yankee Hill.
    I suffer from CDO

It's exactly like OCD but in Alphabetical order

The way it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Are you planning on mounting anything on the handguard? Does anything you are mounting require zeroing? What do you mean by "accuracy"? How accurate is acceptable to you? Does your rifle have a standard FSB? Are you comfortable installing a free-float system, or paying someone to do so?
    I'd rather pay someone else to install it. It will have a Vertical Foregrip mounted once I buy the new rail (was looking @ the BCM ones if I bought a keymod). Not as far as I know on the zeroing as I probably wouldn't put a laser on it. I'd also like to make it as accurate as possible for range plinking (at least so I won't feel as bad being such a horrible shot lol) which was why I wanted to get a free-float system over the standard quad rail that the SOCOM comes with.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have the Noveske NSR rail in 13.5 inches on what of my guns. Its one of the lightest most comfortable rails I have the are also very lo pro. I personally thought the geiselles were slightly thicker also aren't they a $100 more dollars. The Noveske is definitely worth the money.
    american23 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have the Noveske NSR rail in 13.5 inches on what of my guns. Its one of the lightest most comfortable rails I have the are also very lo pro. I personally thought the geiselles were slightly thicker also aren't they a $100 more dollars. The Noveske is definitely worth the money.
    Awesome deal! In your opinion should I wait to see what people review the MLOK or buy a Noveske Keymod?

Both are just slots in extruded aluminum. Torqued down properly, neither one is going to lose anything bolted on. Both are superior to Picatinney rails in terms of not requiring extra material.

Given a year's time, there will be an equal amount of accessories for either one to make it a moot point.
    american23 likes this.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    The down side to the NSR was the wrench you have to purchase in order to install it to get the right torque. IIRC its uncommon and cannot find it at in the hardware store.
    https://dsgarms.com/nvk-nsrwrench

I do love the NSR rail though the rail attachments still maintain a very Lo-pro feel to it.

You won't be disappointed with the NSR.
    american23 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links