22 lr conversion worth it?

This is a discussion on 22 lr conversion worth it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just wondering if it would be worth it to get a 22 lr conversion for my AR? Any body have experience with them?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By StormRhydr
  • 2 Post By John_W_in_SC

Thread: 22 lr conversion worth it?

Just wondering if it would be worth it to get a 22 lr conversion for my AR? Any body have experience with them?

BUY ONE NOW! At the time I bought my first AR, I ordered a .22 LR conversion kit from brownells. The kit came with some mags, but I also bought some brownell brand .22 LR mags as extras. The conversion kit, by itself, with no extra mags, at the time was around $200.00

It was the best money I have ever spent. It works flawlessly, the mags actually work well & feed well, point of impact, at least at CQB range is virtually identical, and it has well paid for itself. There seem to be people who can afford to shoot endless amounts of centerfire rounds (like 5.56). I am not one of them. I have other things to spend my money on, so shooting in converted mode allows me to shoot at a much lower price, with little or no drawbacks from doing so.

Heres a plus that I found out; People who shoot a "real AR", dont really see any difference in the standard rounds vs shooting in converted mode. Its a real AR, as the same feel & heft, etc.

The vast majority of my AR shooting I have done in converted mode. BTW, I later bought a S&W M&P AR22. It worked fine. But I quickly sold it. I liked shooting my real AR in converted mode better.
    PAcanis likes this.

los
    They are a ton of fun at the range and a fantastic training tool for all users at any age. Not to mention you get a lot more bang [pun intended] for your buck.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I don't own one, but I see a lot in use in my club's various action matches. If you're only considering the fun quotient and the ammo cost, go for it. But if you need to the gun to feed and function reliably for the games, you'd be better off with a dedicated .22 upper. Overall reliability of the dedicated uppers appears much better than the conversions, and they won't foul a gas tube, but obviously the investment is substantially higher.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I've had an older Ciener conversion for many years. I bought it with two 10 round metal Ciener mags. I've since bought five of the plastic 25 round mags, two with plastic lips and three with metal. (I bought what was available at the time.) Everything I have has worked well, and I have many thousands of rounds through the kit.

You have several choices. You can buy a conversion kit, you can buy a .22 upper, or you can buy a complete gun. The advantage of the kit is that you will use the same sights, trigger and configuration as you use on the parent rifle, because you are only converting the parent rifle to fire .22. The disadvantage of the kit is that it will always be less accurate than a dedicated .22 barrel. I went with the kit because I wanted to practice various close quarters techniques where I was not concerned with great accuracy, and I wanted to us it with different parent rifles. If I were using it for bullseye, silhouette, hunting or something where accuracy was important, I would have made a different choice, and probably not an AR.

I'm afraid I've left you with more questions than I have answers. The answer for you really depends on how you plan to use the rifle.

John W in SC
    StormRhydr and G17leb like this.

Lead Moderator
    Some report accuracy issues , but this may depend on distances and barrels used. I know one guy who was not happy with his due to this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have one .... it's great ..... buy the kit. Practice with the 22's then when you switch back to the 223 use a ballistic chart to for a quick sighting in at an distance. there are a couple apps for smart phones and pcs.

For example, using 22's, (40gr, 1255 fps) shooting 3" above the bullseye at 25 yds should put you in the black a 100 yds. Then do the same calculation wt., etc. for the 223s. Once you have your charts set up, you can switch ammo and be on target at any distance.

Enjoy shooting.
    "It's good to be open-minded, but don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out". .... Author ?

Re accuracy - the .223/5.56 bore diameter is 0.224", whereas .22 rimfire bore is 0.222". In a CF rifle there's enough power to effectively expand the base of the bullet to achieve a tight seal in the bore. The rimfire has a chamber pressure less than half of the .223's, and combined with a slightly larger bore there may not be the fully effective bore sealing and rifling engagement that would occur with the correct
    bore. No idea as to the extent to which that affects accuracy, but it's movement in the wrong direction. I doubt it would be noticeable inside of 50 feet. That would be a fun experiment for someone with a chronograph, a dedicated .22 LR upper, and an AR with a conversion kit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    At one time we used them in the Air Force for M-16 qual. They were pretty reliable, with the occasional fail to feed, and accuracy didn't seem bad for our purposes. Of course, no one expected them to be as accurate at 200 yards as the 5.56, and reliability was dependent on cleanliness, which was pretty bad after about 75 rounds.

I would call them suitable if one keeps thier imitations in mind.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I prefer separate rifles if you can afford them. A dedicated .22 upper would be my second choice.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I think they are a good puraches ..for 240 cdnn at one point sell you a completed 22 upper for 250 bucks with 3 mags

Me I have a dedicated 22lr but only as the rifle I had at the time did not work with 22lr kits
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Sponsored Links