A little range time on The Fourth

This is a discussion on A little range time on The Fourth within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I put three pistols and some ammo in my range bag and headed out back for a little ballistic therapy. I haven't shot any .22 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: A little range time on The Fourth

I put three pistols and some ammo in my range bag and headed out back for a little ballistic therapy. I haven't shot any .22 pistols in a while and haven't shot this K-22 at all . And I read in another thread how someone had problems getting LSWC to feed in "45's", so I wanted to see how it would feed in that new CCO I just got. I know it feeds fine in the three 1911's I built and I know it feeds fine in all my GCNM's, but the GCNM's were designed to be target pistols firing light loads. I was real curious how it would feed in a pistol I've only run a few mags of 230 gr plated through and that has the feedramp on the barrel. As I suspected, no problem at all.

The players

Some pics of my range bag. It has a spotting scope in there, too, that fits across the bottom of one compartment. You can see the tripod case in the one pic.

One mag through my ruger Mk II at 12 yds. No surprises here except the flyer.

Two cylinders through the S&W at 12 yds, single action. Ouch

Then another shooting DA. I seem to do a lot better shooting it DA. That's weird. That's not how I remember revolver shooting to be, lol.

And 12 shots with the Dan Wesson. I seem to be a touch high, or maybe it was the 200 gr LSWC's. A few rounds found the same hole, which is always nice to see.

VIP Member
    Looks like a good time. Of course any day at the range makes for a great day!
    PAcanis likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks, Archer. It was nice to let a little lead fly. I may just grab a couple long guns here shortly.

A good time at the range is a GOOD time....Nice shooting BTW....
    PAcanis likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Glad you had a nice time ..................i do have one question why do you carry the very large fencing pliers ??
    PAcanis likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Glad you had a nice time ..................i do have one question why do you carry the very large fencing pliers ??
    To re-work my target stand; flatten staples in the 2x4's so the cardboard lays flatter for stapling, or pull roofing nails and nail the carboard if the staples aren't holding... I remember using them, my Wheeler screwdriver without a bit and my rag to tap a rear sight over. Also to tap on parts to fix my staple gun when it jammed. They come in handy.
    welder516 likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a little ballistic therapy. And you had some cool guns to shoot too.
    PAcanis likes this.
    SCGunLover1

Nice grouping, .45 holes are so much easier to see when you need to adjust your follow-up shot....

I'm looking forward to some range time in the morning, at the monthly IDPA. I'll be taking the Glock 34 and the Glock 21, not sure which one i'll be shooting yet.

Sara Lou
    PAcanis likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Great way to celebrate the 4th. More fun than fireworks!

Maybe you should send your Dan Wesson to me. I'll break it in slowly, see if we can't get it back on target.
    PAcanis and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    Nice grouping, .45 holes are so much easier to see when you need to adjust your follow-up shot....

I'm looking forward to some range time in the morning, at the monthly IDPA. I'll be taking the Glock 34 and the Glock 21, not sure which one i'll be shooting yet.

Sara Lou
    I decided on the G21 for the match today, was very pleased with my performance overall, couple of costly mistakes, but shot better than I have in a while. Probably be mid-week before I get the results, but i'm pretty sure I wasn't last like usual!!.

Sara Lou

Holiday rangetime! My favorite type of fireworks!
    Spent a little time at the range myself yesterday. Put some HP carry ammo thru my PK380.
    They fed well, and seem at least as accurate as my practice ammo. (Peace of mind there)

Burned some round nose .45 as well. Not buying lead round nose again! It was OK for range use, but not that great for competition.

Need to work on something better to catch/find spent brass. Lost 1/3 of my .380, and 1/4 of the .45 cases. :(
    PAcanis likes this.

Not a bad way to spend your fourth. We went to fireworks and got soaked so we had to leave. Baby was drenched!

Hoping to get to the range myself tomorrow and burn through a few more rounds...
    PAcanis likes this.
    Ruger LC9 - Hornaday Critical Defense

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms,and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…” -Richard Henry Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I decided on the G21 for the match today, was very pleased with my performance overall, couple of costly mistakes, but shot better than I have in a while. Probably be mid-week before I get the results, but i'm pretty sure I wasn't last like usual!!.

Sara Lou
    Nice. I wish I could take the time to shoot competitively/under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    Holiday rangetime! My favorite type of fireworks!
    Spent a little time at the range myself yesterday. Put some HP carry ammo thru my PK380.
    They fed well, and seem at least as accurate as my practice ammo. (Peace of mind there)

Burned some round nose .45 as well. Not buying lead round nose again! It was OK for range use, but not that great for competition.

Need to work on something better to catch/find spent brass. Lost 1/3 of my .380, and 1/4 of the .45 cases. :(
    I hear ya on the lost brass! My shooting range got "altered" and now instead of shooting pistol while in dirt or very sparse grass that has become worn over the years, I'm shooting in the thick grass. I've been meaning to pick up a 10x12 tarp or something and stake it down in the 15 yard area. I tried a bucket and netting and it works well for rifle off a bench, but not so good for pistols.
    Attached Images

The Fourth Of July and things that go BOOM, just seem to go together !
    PAcanis likes this.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Nice. I wish I could take the time to shoot competitively/under pressure.
    The match I shot today was all done and finished by 11:30am. I strongly recommend shooting a competition, whether it's IDPA, USPSA, or IPSC, range plinking is fine for target placement, but having to draw fast, shoot while on the move, shoot moving targets, shoot targets placed behind a "non-threat", all while 'on the clock' really puts your motor skills to the test.
    Just got the results in an email, 23rd out of 27 shooters, not last but not quite as good as I thought. BUT!!!, I did make the top 10 most accurate shooters of the day, 8th place... woohoo!!
    I knew I was shooting good, just got to work on my speed, there's some tough competition there.

Sara Lou
    PAcanis and gasmitty like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links