Got an interesting email from the ATF...

This is a discussion on Got an interesting email from the ATF... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I apologize if this information has already been posted. I've had to be off-line for some time now. I lost two good friend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Got an interesting email from the ATF...

Senior Moderator

Hey guys, I apologize if this information has already been posted. I've had to be off-line for some time now. I lost two good friend within about a month, had to move my mother-in-law in with us for the rest of her life and that's ok, and in spite of it all I managed to get in two short coyote hunts and didn't see a thing either time

Back in January, I applied for a SBR via eform and the ATF has sent a couple of 'the status of application processing', usually not much meat to it, but this last one is different. It sounds like changes have been made to speed approvals up and it has been speeded up, and they have solve some electronic issues and now Form 1s can be efiled! Here's what they had to say:

Good afternoon:
    We are pleased to announce the following updates to the eForms system:

1. Performance enhancements – We were able to address some of the technical issues. You will see improvements in the overall performance of the system.
    2. We are able to add the ATF Form 1 back to the eForms system. Our plans are to closely monitor the performance of the system in order to determine if we will be able to add additional forms back to the system.
    Below is an update on the status on our processing of paper and electronic NFA applications. In the future, this information will be available through links on the eForms login screen:

In follow-up to ATF’s letter dated April 16, 2014, regarding the status of the eForms system; this update is being provided to inform the industry of ATF’s progress in addressing eForms and paper NFA applications. To accommodate the substantial increase in application volume that has recently occurred, ATF is working diligently to decrease processing times while continuing to enhance the eForms platform.

What is our progress to date?
    From a peak of over 81,000 pending NFA applications at the end of February 2014, as of June 18, 2014, ATF has reduced the number to less than 63,000 applications pending (23% reduction in pending applications). In the last four weeks, although the NFA Branch received over 17,800 applications we processed more than 22,400 applications.

The statistics in the table below represent the processing of NFA Forms over the past four weeks.

[There was also a pie chart but it wouldn’t copy and paste]

NFA FORMS PROCESSED BY WEEK
    Date (Week of) 5/28/2014...6/4/2014...6/11/2014...6/18/2014
    All Forms...........4,815.........5,629........5,635.. ......6,323
    eForms.............1,199.........1,204.........1,9 05.......1,682
    Paper Forms......3,616.........4,425.........3,730...... .4,641

At the same time, ATF has directed additional resources to NFA application processing:

• There are currently 15 Legal Instrument Examiner (LIE) applicants currently in the background investigation phase of hiring.

• The use of overtime funding has been authorized for those employees processing NFA applications.

• ATF has cross-trained LIEs from various other ATF branches to support NFA application processing. This is an ongoing process and has already beneficially impacted application processing.

• ATF has dedicated additional data entry contract resources to reduce the time it takes for an application to be entered into the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR). As a result, data entry time has already been reduced from eight weeks to two weeks.

If you have any questions regarding any of the information included in this email, you may contact us through the eForms system by using “Ask the Experts” or by emailing us at eforms.admin_atf.gov.

Thank you for your continued support of eForms.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member
    Sorry, I don't know what an SBR is. I know what an FFL is.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Sorry, I don't know what an SBR is. I know what an FFL is.
    Short Barrel Rifle

too slow
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

That is one of the amazing things I love about this forum. I didn't know what an SBR is either. Now I do and not only that, two people jumped in within a minute of each other. One answered (StormRhydr) and the other wanted to answer (Caertaker) but he was too old and slow to pull the trigger (pun intended).
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

too old and slow
    Careful there, grasshopper.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear of your losses and I wish you nothing but the best of luck with the new family members. Those decisions are hard but must be made.

Keep safe and thanks for thie information

Respectfully,
    Bill

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    notice they call them LIEs. haha
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have had much experience with SBRs, AOWs, Suppressors, etc., but find it near impossible to have my Personal Info entered into the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR).

The AOW (Any Other Weapon) definitions & laws are ridiculous. If I want to put a $10. vertical grip on the fore stock of a 5.56/.223 pistol, I would need to send the bogus Agency $200. and wait for months for a permission slip from them + be "Registered" for Confiscation.

The ATF (BATFE) is involved in the crimes against the People of the U.S. including the Illegal Operations "Gun-Runner", "Linebacker", "Wide-receiver", "Gun-walker", and "Fast and Furious", to name a few. Not to mention Illegal raids on the homes of countless, innocent U.S. citizens.

Please Check HERE before you REGISTER with this Anti-Constitutional Agency:
    https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=at...UTF-8&fr=moz35
    BadgerJ, Jaeger and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

I never understood how a 14.5" AR was any more or less lethal than a 16".

GeorgiaCarry
    JaxRolo, Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org Life Member
    Defender of the 2nd Amendment
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post

GeorgiaCarry
    Short barrels are not to gain lethality; it's to gain compactness for improved maneuverability in tight quarters while not giving up significant terminal performance.

For me, it's the combination of compactness, 11" barrel in 300 blackout, with about the same or better terminal performance at any range than the 5.56 in a 14.5" barrel. A plus, for the 300 BO caliber is both supersonic and subsonic rounds for suppressor use. I shot my 11" bbl with subsonic ammo with a Liberty suppressor on an indoor range and nobody had ear protection - it wasn't even loud.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Our gun laws are clearly devoid of logic. However the NFA permit prices haven't gone up since 1968. This is obviously an untapped revenue resource that's relatively below the radar of most politicians. IMHO...good!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    The ATF.

The system is so great that I have E Forms on dealer transfers that I submitted in OCTOBER that I don't have yet.
    QKShooter likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaCarry View Post

GeorgiaCarry
    Its 1.5 inches shorter, which makes it so much easier to hide, according to SCOTUS guns that are not "NORMAL Military Equipment are not protected under the 2A. Since NOBODY in the military uses a 14.5 inch rifle they can be heavily regulated.
    19Kvet and Pistology like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The ATF.

The system is so great that I have E Forms on dealer transfers that I submitted in OCTOBER that I don't have yet.
    Wow, that's not good. One at a local gunshop came back in 10 months and I asked about the approval time just today(same gunshop) and the last one approved in 9 months to the day.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links