First (only?) suppressor; What gun?

This is a discussion on First (only?) suppressor; What gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My favorite gun shop told me they are getting their Class III. This can only mean one thing, a suppressor is most likely going to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: First (only?) suppressor; What gun?

My favorite gun shop told me they are getting their Class III. This can only mean one thing, a suppressor is most likely going to find its way into my home. The question is, what would I like to suppress?
    I would like it to be something noticeably quieter. I saw a vid and a suppressed M1A wasn't what I would call quiet.
    I really don't care if it's a handgun or a rifle. Nothing I have has a threaded barrel, so a rifle would be purchased new and so would a handgun... unless I am allowed to buy a 1911 barrel and swap it out for a current 1911 barrel I have. I don't know enough if once suppressed, the handgun needs to stay suppressed. Can I swap out the original barrel for the threaded one with suppressor when I feel like it, as long as I don't fit it to another 1911? And again, if a 1911 is worth suppressing and made much quieter.

It's not like I need a suppressor, I simply want one because it's my right and want to get one while it's still allowed, so really I am only looking into getting one for the novelty of owning a suppressed firearm because I can. I'd like it to be on something I shoot regularly, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.

Any input?

I am no expert in the area, but it is my understanding that with some brands, you can shoot smaller calibers than the can is made for, with good results. For example, if you have a .45ACP suppressor, you can use it for a 9mm as well. Same with a .308 and 5.56.

I would double check with someone who knows more about them than I. But, I would decide if you wanted a rifle or pistol can, and then go with one of the above.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buckeye, don't they have to be serialized to a particular firearm? If I buy one for a .45 (1911), am I allowed to screw it onto a different 9mm handgun?

Senior Moderator
    Get a .22.
    Huntertown Arms is as good as any and they come with a lifetime guarantee.

You can swap it from pistol to rifle or vice versa.

Buckeye, don't they have to be serialized to a particular firearm? If I buy one for a .45 (1911), am I allowed to screw it onto a different 9mm handgun?
    I'll answer that. No. The silencer is serialized. It can be used on ANY firearm.
    PAcanis, OD*, Jaeger and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Excellent! Thanks, H.G.

In that case I think I'll go with a Ruger Mk III and... something for plinking. Maybe do a 10-22 build. I've always wanted to.

That's true, put it on any weapon. Yet be aware that BATFE has sent some, uhhh... "mixed signals" about some companies offering multi-CALIBER models. It's my understanding that any baffles replaced to accommodate different calibers are to be rendered inoperable in order to be legal. IMHO, get a .223 can and run it on .22 rim fires as well.
    PAcanis likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    The ATF is pretty clear on it actually. You can not swap out baffles.

There are a host of "multicaliber" cans out there. One of them is made by Liberty who claims that 30 different calibers can be used. Its a good can. As long as its a bigger can than the caliber and you can screw it on,it ought to be good to go.

However...there is a point of being ridiculous.

For instance, a 223 can works well on a .22 but they are much bigger and heavier than a .22 can is. Yeah...it'll work but its going to be unbalanced.
    PAcanis and OD* like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Is a can designed for a .223 going to work as well on a .22 as a can specifically designed for a .22?

There is much to know about suppressors. How much to spend? Piston type? Etc. easy enough to do research online. A .223/.22WMR would be my preference.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

To purchse a suppressor you must fill out atf paperwork, get a stamp for said supressor and jump through other hoops before you can even pick it up. From my understanding the wait can sometimes exceed a year waiting for all the paperwork to be processed and such. The ATF keeps a record of everything possible when it involves suppressors, automatic weapons, etc.
    PAcanis likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Senior Moderator
    Is a can designed for a .223 going to work as well on a .22 as a can specifically designed for a .22
    Generally.

Better on a rifle.

Awfully big on a Ruger MK3.
    PAcanis and OD* like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    To purchse a suppressor you must fill out atf paperwork, get a stamp for said supressor and jump through other hoops before you can even pick it up. From my understanding the wait can sometimes exceed a year waiting for all the paperwork to be processed and such. The ATF keeps a record of everything possible when it involves suppressors, automatic weapons, etc.
    Thanks. I knew that.
    I figured I already have a C&R and have purchased enough handguns two at a time, which requires extra paperwork here in PA, so they already know who I am.
    I don't consider buying a stamp or whatever I need to do jumping through any more hoops than I already have. Sure, I would like to remain anonymous, but I feel I'm beyond that point.
    I wasn't sure what Patriot meant by registering to a bogus ATF. Perhaps is was a political statement.
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Thanks. I knew that.
    I figured I already have a C&R and have purchased enough handguns two at a time, which requires extra paperwork here in PA, so they already know who I am.
    I don't consider buying a stamp or whatever I need to do jumping through any more hoops than I already have. Sure, I would like to remain anonymous, but I feel I'm beyond that point.
    I wasn't sure what Patriot meant by registering to a bogus ATF. Perhaps is was a political statement.

Got ya ! lol
    PAcanis likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    You need to get the $200.00 tax stamp once the suppressor comes into the shop and they have a serial number. You fill out the paperwork with the serial number, your passport photos and, trust papers or fingerprints or letter from your sheriff what ever your county requires. You can file online which takes a very short amount of time ( 3-4 months) or you can have your class III FFL mail which is about 8-9 months right now. Your dealer will hold the suppressor until your stamp comes in. Then they can release it to you. You will need to carry your tax stamp papers with your suppressor. The internet site for the online goes on and off at times, I heard of guys paying the $200.00 online and no tax stamp filed. So your best bet is to mail it and wait the 8 months.

I have one on a 22Lr bolt action riffle its very quiet but not that accurate with the sub sonic ammo. I can shoot supersonic ammo but it still makes a snap sound as it travels. I also have larger caliber suppressors. I make custom ammo for them that is sub sonic, works pretty well but I like to play with my 22LR.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I'm in no hurry. I'm thinking of taking a drive to the shop tomorrow. I'll ask them if they are good to go and see what they say about odering one and doing the paperwork.
    I appreciate the feedback. I had no idea you could use the same suppressor on different firearms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links