Target pistol. Help needed!

This is a discussion on Target pistol. Help needed! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can anyone out there help me. I'm thinking about entering the world of competition target shooting. Got interested by watching these matches at my local ...

Thread: Target pistol. Help needed!

Can anyone out there help me. I'm thinking about entering the world of competition target shooting. Got interested by watching these matches at my local club/shooting range. I'm looking for the best in a .22 caliber model but as a beginner I can only spend about $500.00. Accuracy with adjustability for now with the abillity to add attachments later is what I'm reading the most about. I know there are a lot out there to choose from so that's why your help is needed. I'm pretty sure from what I've already seen I leaning toward an auto loader (for speed and ease reasons). I will listen and consider what ever help you can offer.[/B][/B]
    As a citizen of this country I consider it a legal right but yet a privelege to carry a handgun for defensive purposes. I'm also comfortable knowing there are others out there that feel the same way.

Ruger Mark II target maybe ?

Thats what i have i dont compete though

An S&W Model 22 or 41 would be a good choice to start with. Beretta's U22Neos is a nice one as well.

The real upside to the Neos is that it is a fully modular gun. You can change barrels, grips and slides. It has a full length Picatinny rail system on each barrel as well as adjustable sights. There are three (I think) pistol barrel lengths as well as a carbine kit that can convert it to a rifle.

As for the Smith choices, I own a 422 that I have been happy with when I really want to slow things down at the range and shoot for accuracy. Off handed, I can maintain a 3" group at 25 yards. I do better with my old Ruger MkII standard, but in all not bad.

Administrator
    Ruger Mark 2 target, or a Sig trailside. I would go with the Ruger.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ruger has the most aftermarket parts. I have a MKiii and love it.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I shoot Silhouette, and have used 2 Brownings for 25+ years (one scoped, one open sight). Great guns! I have a 41, 3 High Standards, and a Benelli 95E, but the Brownings are my comp guns. I do have a Browning Medalist also, but that is pure art...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Lead Moderator
    I used a Buckmark for a few years. Affordable and accurate. Also borrowed a S&W 41 before I got my Buckmark, the 41 was an excellent gun too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I forgot about the buckmark... add that to my short list of good comp grade .22's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Under $500.00, your choice almost inevitably is the Ruger MkII target. You can have the trigger cleaned up, barrel crowned and target grips all still under your budget limit, plus have some $ left for many boxes of std velocity ammo.
    If your skills progress to where you can outshoot that Ruger, then look at Smith 41, Hammerli, Beretta etc.
    If you are serious about target shooting, one thing I strongly suggest is to invest in an air pistol. You can practice for hours in your basement or other secluded area for little $, no noise.
    Yes practice, practice, practice.
    Also, if you are serious, two books; 1, "Competitive Shooting" by A.A. Yur' Yev. ISBN# 0-935998-53-5, From the NRA press. The very best book on bullseye type shooting I've ever read.
    2, "Pistol Shooters Treasury" Published & Edited by Gil Hebard, Knoxville Ill. Probably available through the NRA. Many stories and superb advice from a lot of champions.

Roger (in a former life, NRA Master bullseye shooter)

Lead Moderator
    Air pistols are great. Just be sure to get a decent gun. I started comp with a air pistol first, before being old enough own a .22 pistol. a Mrk 2 , Buckmark or hi standard should be good for beginner shooters. if you like it enough, a high end gun can be bought later.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Lead Moderator
    Is Hi Standard still in business? When I was in the military we used them a lot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Ruger Mark II target maybe ?

Thats what i have i dont compete though
    +1 for Bud

Mine has a 10" Bull barrel, more accurate than I am

I have the Ruger MKIII target .22/45. Shoots great and paid $259 new. If you can shoot revos in your competition, my Smith K-22 (17-3) is the most accurate pistol I have shot. Incredible trigger. You can find them under your price threshold on the gun auction sites.

I do like the Sig trailside. It is built for them by Hammerli. For the money, though, the Ruger is hard to beat.
    These things we do that others may live - USAF Air Rescue Motto

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Sig (Hamerreli) Trailside. No longer produced, but can be picked up at a very reasonable price (350 IIRC) from CDNN sports. Accurate, reliable, and ready to mount any optic you want on it. Ruger MKII target would be acceptable as well.
    Fear No Evil.

Links