Snap Caps?

This is a discussion on Snap Caps? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just picked up a S&W 360PD. Have been advised to not dry fire by some yet others say its really not bad for the firearm. ...

Thread: Snap Caps?

Snap Caps?

Just picked up a S&W 360PD. Have been advised to not dry fire by some yet others say its really not bad for the firearm. What is the story? Also. I have heard of snap caps to place in the cylinders prior to dry firing. What is the difference between a snap cap and a casing?

Seems like five casings are a lot less expensive than five snap caps!!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Once the primer has been dented in, the pin does not hit anything. Its as if nothing is there.
    More importantly, it easy to confuse you spent casing for live ammo.
    Spend fiive bucks and get some snap caps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    And TRIPLE check that they are snap caps in, when dryfire practicing. Especially if they have brass rims.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK But is dry firing bad for the firearm or is this a myth that has been perpetuated? The salesman in the gun shops say its ok to dry fire to check the trigger, but than again if 50 people check it who knows?? Does it damage the firing pin?

Lead Moderator
    Opinion is modern metal is much stronger and can take the abuse. That said , I dryfire enough, I would rather be safe than sorry and buy the $15 worth of reasurrance. After all, I am depending my life on my gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Dry firing once in awhile won't hurt most newer guns (rimfires excluded) Excessive dry firing will damage the gun. If its going to be a part of your training, get yourself some snapcaps.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was always taught never to dry fire a rimfire. When I purchased my Ruger MKIII, however, the owners manual states that dry firing will not harm the firing pin as it has a stop block and will not contact the chamber edge. I have a Ruger SP101 that I have extensively (1200+ times) dry fired to smooth out the action. Kind of a poorman's trigger job. I did this on the recommendation of some very experienced pistoleros. Helped without any adverse affect on the Ruger.

That said, I use snap caps in my Smith .22 revolvers. When I find myself with a few extra $$ in my pocket at a convenient location, I will buy caps for my .357.
    These things we do that others may live - USAF Air Rescue Motto

What does S&W say?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

The best thing about using snapcaps is that it enhances safe dryfire practice. Using snapcaps forces the shooter to make sure that live rounds just aren't in the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Opinion is modern metal is much stronger and can take the abuse. That said , I dryfire enough, I would rather be safe than sorry and buy the $15 worth of reasurrance. After all, I am depending my life on my gun.

Lead Moderator
    Also the snap caps are good for praticing clearing drills. One of mine natually sticks in the ejection port, but you could put a little masking tape wrapped around the bullet to keep it from cleanly ejecting.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Not an issue with your Smith, but just for general FYI, some makes really do need to be dry-fired only with snap caps, e.g., the Colt King Cobra. Not doing so can lead to an expensive, factory-only repair. In general, snap caps are cheap insurance. I have heard of people using pencil erasers glued into the primer pocket of spent casings with rubber cement before, but that seems to be more trouble than its worth....

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Yeah, spring for the snap caps...fired casings are a little harder to get in and out of the cylinders anyway.

And I think snap caps are safer, too.

I just picked up some snap caps for my 9mm Kel-tec P11. They say to use them for dry firing.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I just picked up some snap caps for my 9mm Kel-tec P11. They say to use them for dry firing.
    Snap caps are a must for the kel tecs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links