Defensive Carry banner

Snap Caps?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Nmuskier 
#1 ·
Just picked up a S&W 360PD. Have been advised to not dry fire by some yet others say its really not bad for the firearm. What is the story? Also. I have heard of snap caps to place in the cylinders prior to dry firing. What is the difference between a snap cap and a casing?

Seems like five casings are a lot less expensive than five snap caps!!

#2 ·
Once the primer has been dented in, the pin does not hit anything. Its as if nothing is there.
More importantly, it easy to confuse you spent casing for live ammo.
Spend fiive bucks and get some snap caps.

#5 ·
Opinion is modern metal is much stronger and can take the abuse. That said , I dryfire enough, I would rather be safe than sorry and buy the $15 worth of reasurrance. After all, I am depending my life on my gun.

#6 ·
Dry firing once in awhile won't hurt most newer guns (rimfires excluded) Excessive dry firing will damage the gun. If its going to be a part of your training, get yourself some snapcaps.

#7 ·
I was always taught never to dry fire a rimfire. When I purchased my Ruger MKIII, however, the owners manual states that dry firing will not harm the firing pin as it has a stop block and will not contact the chamber edge. I have a Ruger SP101 that I have extensively (1200+ times) dry fired to smooth out the action. Kind of a poorman's trigger job. I did this on the recommendation of some very experienced pistoleros. Helped without any adverse affect on the Ruger.

That said, I use snap caps in my Smith .22 revolvers. When I find myself with a few extra $$ in my pocket at a convenient location, I will buy caps for my .357.

#10 ·
Also the snap caps are good for praticing clearing drills. One of mine natually sticks in the ejection port, but you could put a little masking tape wrapped around the bullet to keep it from cleanly ejecting.

#11 ·
Not an issue with your Smith, but just for general FYI, some makes really do need to be dry-fired only with snap caps, e.g., the Colt King Cobra. Not doing so can lead to an expensive, factory-only repair. In general, snap caps are cheap insurance. I have heard of people using pencil erasers glued into the primer pocket of spent casings with rubber cement before, but that seems to be more trouble than its worth.... :yup:

#12 ·
Yeah, spring for the snap caps...fired casings are a little harder to get in and out of the cylinders anyway.

And I think snap caps are safer, too.

Reactions: Nmuskier
#15 ·
Never really mattered to me what manufacturers or any one else says about whether dry firing hurts a gun or not, I dry fire alot and always use snap caps cause it can't hurt any worse than not using it them.

Reactions: Nmuskier
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.