Warranty As A Factor In Decision

This is a discussion on Warranty As A Factor In Decision within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that some manufacturers, such as S&W, Springfield Armory, and Taurus, among others, provide a lifetime warranty, while others, such as Walther, provide a ...

Thread: Warranty As A Factor In Decision

Warranty As A Factor In Decision

I know that some manufacturers, such as S&W, Springfield Armory, and Taurus, among others, provide a lifetime warranty, while others, such as Walther, provide a more limited warranty, at times only one year.

My question is to what extent, if at all, does the nature of the warranty provided by the manufacturer influence your decision as to which gun to buy?

Ron

2. Remove Ads

I've never bought used guns, and when buying new it's been reputable makers that I felt I could count on; Glock, Ruger, Beretta and Smith & Wesson.

Actually, I admit that I've never known what the warranty period was, so it definitely has not been a factor in my choices....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Well I was asking when I bought a weapon but acording to my dealer, liability is so high that most gun makers will take care of problems no matter when as long if its the problem of the gun and not the user. I have always have my weapon repaired with no cost from my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    Well I was asking when I bought a weapon but acording to my dealer, liability is so high that most gun makers will take care of problems no matter when as long if its the problem of the gun and not the user. I have always have my weapon repaired with no cost from my pocket.
    That's an interesting concept. As to the guns you have had repaired, do you remember whether they were actually still under the manufacturers warranty period, or had the warranty period technically expired?

Ron

VIP Member
    I do not know the length of warranty on my glock. Its ejector chipped and al I did is took it back to the dealer and I had my glock back in 2 weeks. As far as my Taurus ( lifetime warranty ) I needed the ramp polished to feed CarBon DPX. My only experience are with weapons with good warranties. I was just telling you what my dealer told me.

Not A Concern Here...

The warranty period has not played a factor in my purchases...

Happy New Year, Ron...Ken (from Gainesville area)

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It does on non 1911's and if im buying a kimber

Administrator
    Nah, it doesnt matter to me. Most of the better makes will fix no questions asked as long as you didnt start monkeying around with the internals when you really shouldnt have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's not a factor for me as much if at all due to "if" I am having problems with a firearm that can't be worked out on my own with it the next trip is to my gun smith. I trust him over any company to fix the problem. If they had done it right the first time I should have to be sending it back in to get it to run right.

IMO you spend more on shipping and down time sending one back for small things that can usually be fixed either by yourself or a local smith unless it is say a cracked frame or slide that need's to go back for sure for safety reasons as well as possibly correcting a problem they may not know they have yet and if that's the case I will have them send me a call tag or whatever it is on their dime.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Regardless of written warranty, the manufacturer of any gun worth owning will fix it....

Any of the name branders will.

You can find out who won't, and just don't buy from them.

I just buy good quality guns. About half are used and half new and some makers provide warrenty service no matter what like Kel-tec.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I was the forth owner of a Ar-15 from Oly. Arms, the price was very reasonable under 300 bucks, the guy I bought it from had put thousands of rounds through it and figured it was pretty much wore out. I kept it as a truck gun behind the seat, I got a good deal on some reloaded ammo at a gun show and went out to fire up the hills, first round out of the gun blew out the mag, ballooned out the mag well, and tore out the side of the upper. I pulled one of the bullets and found the ammo had been loaded with red dot to the top of the case.
    I sent the gun back to them and gave them my sad story, I had a my rifle back in a week with a new upper and lower new barrel and my old furnisher. No Charge, since then I have bought several guns from them because I know they will back them up

Quote Originally Posted by koginam View Post
    I was the forth owner of a Ar-15 from Oly. Arms, the price was very reasonable under 300 bucks, the guy I bought it from had put thousands of rounds through it and figured it was pretty much wore out. I kept it as a truck gun behind the seat, I got a good deal on some reloaded ammo at a gun show and went out to fire up the hills, first round out of the gun blew out the mag, ballooned out the mag well, and tore out the side of the upper. I pulled one of the bullets and found the ammo had been loaded with red dot to the top of the case.
    I sent the gun back to them and gave them my sad story, I had a my rifle back in a week with a new upper and lower new barrel and my old furnisher. No Charge, since then I have bought several guns from them because I know they will back them up
    Now that there is customer service

Links