Range Report - Colt Army Special .41 LC

This is a discussion on Range Report - Colt Army Special .41 LC within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported earlier, at a gun show a couple of weeks ago I acquired this beautiful 1916-Vintage Colt Army Special, chambered in .41 Long Colt: ...

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By WebleyHunter
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Range Report - Colt Army Special .41 LC

As reported earlier, at a gun show a couple of weeks ago I acquired this beautiful 1916-Vintage Colt Army Special, chambered in .41 Long Colt:

Then a few days later, I scored these on GB:

Well, late yesterday afternoon, I was able to take the ol' pony out for a spin. Since the ammo is still in very short supply, I only shot a dozen rounds. I was using a 50-foot slow-fire pistol target, at 50 feet, shooting single-action free-hand. Here's the first effort:

Note that the hole in the orange circle at the top is not one of the bullet holes!

Obviously, I'm shooting a little high, and not a real tight group, but it's not TOO bad for freehand at 50 feet.

I adjusted my sight picture a little for the second cylinder:

Again, not GREAT shooting, but with a little practice I should be able to tighten those groups up a bit. From a rest, I believe I could cut them in half.

The gun is an absolute hoot to shoot! Recoil is mild, but lets you know you're slinging a big chunk of lead. A firm shove rather than the slam you get from some more modern cartridges. It reminded me a little of a mild .45 ACP target load. The ancient Western Cartridge Co. ammo ran just fine, with no misfires or questionable rounds. While I do not have a chronograph, the feel of the rounds was very consistent. I have a suspicion that the old ammo might be getting a little weak with age, which might account in part for the high groupings. Having never fired any other .41 Long Colt before to compare it with, I can't say.

There's a uniquely satisfying quality to shooting 50-year-old (?) ammo in a 100-year old gun. It almost kinda takes you back a few years! I will definitely find a set of dies, start acquiring components, and will be reloading for this fine ol' caliber!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Very cool. I suspect Bryan will be along shortly to weigh in. I believe I'd get a serious bunch of fun out of that. Keep us posted.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sweet!
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Very cool. I suspect Bryan will be along shortly to weigh in. I believe I'd get a serious bunch of fun out of that. Keep us posted.
    Correct on all counts!

"Serious bunch of fun" is an excellent description!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

OD*
    That's not bad at all, congrats

I would imagine a Colt of that age had it's sights regulated to shoot a 6 o-clock hold.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Nice. I love slinging lead with an old firearm. Even just a few rounds. There's nothing quite like it.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nice find, and you'll enjoy working up a pet load for the old Colt.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OOOooo... I can't believe I missed this before.

Excellent shooting and useful accuracy at 50 feet. I'd proclaim the revolver and the .41 Long Colt a howling success in this instance.

Bet you're getting 700-750 fps from the ammo which, with a bullet in the .40 category and weighing 200 grains, wouldn't be insignificant on the receiving end. Elmer Keith claimed it was a pretty decent stopper. With good hits I suppose it would be and with bad hits no cartridge may be considered a reliable stopper.

Mimics a target shot up for an informal Colt Forum match, made with the .41 Army Special around here. An internet web site target of the type dictated by the forum thread was printed off and used. Two groups: the one on the apple was shot at 15 yards and the one on the smiley face shot at 15 yards. My Army Special hits just a dab to the left with its fixed sights.

Kilowatt3, AmmoFan01 and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Good looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    OOOooo... I can't believe I missed this before...

Mimics a target shot up for an informal Colt Forum match, made with the .41 Army Special around here. An internet web site target of the type dictated by the forum thread was printed off and used. Two groups: the one on the apple was shot at 15 yards and the one on the smiley face shot at 15 yards. My Army Special hits just a dab to the left with its fixed sights.

Howdy Bryan, and thanks for checking in!

Did you mean to say that both the apple and the smiley face were shot at 15 yards? I'm guessing that one or the other was either a shorter or longer distance(?). That apple is pretty impressive if it was at 15 yards! Your smiley face looks to be about the same group size as my 16-2/3 yard (50 foot) effort.

I was pleased to note that my sights appear to be spot-on for windage, particularly in the first group. As OD* pointed out, the elevation looks to be dialed in for a 6 o'clock hold, which is what I used for my second group.

I have downloaded & printed a few of the "William Tell" targets to try out - hopefully this weekend. We'll have to compare notes! The ol' .41 LC is really a kick to play with!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Beautiful weapon!

I would carry that revolver and load combo without hesitation.
    oneshot likes this.

Sorry. The apple was shot at 15 yards and the smiley face was shot at 25 yards. The type of target and the distances were designated in a Colt forum fun match for Army Special and Official Police revolvers. They didn't give prizes. Besides, I wouldn't have won anyway.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I likey!

Better than a .38 spl.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Sponsored Links