what's a good touch up paint?

This is a discussion on what's a good touch up paint? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got my new EMP in today and like a dummy I scratched the frame putting the slide stop back in. What kind of touch ...

Thread: what's a good touch up paint?

I got my new EMP in today and like a dummy I scratched the frame putting the slide stop back in.

What kind of touch up paint is the best?

The frame is a blue finish. I believe acrylic will chip eventually and oil based is shiny, but the finish is not.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

bluing touch up pen?

JD
    Administrator
    Firearms are not painted, Birchwood Casey makes touchup pens for repairing an oops for blued or parkerized finishes, but I'm pretty sure the EMPs have "Armory Kote" finishes on the lowers, so a parkerization pen may not match up right.

And one more thing, over the life of your firearm you may end up scratching that spot multiple times, you may just leave it the way it is as a reminder to be careful :)

Well, I wouldn't care so much if I hadn't just gotten it today! Just sucks to save up that much and pay for something and scratch it within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box.

I'm sure I'll get over it. The good thing is you can't see it unless it's broken down. The slide stop covers it. I just thought there would be something available or some kind of "home remedy" out there.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Firearms are not painted, Birchwood Casey makes touchup pens for repairing an oops for blued or parkerized finishes, but I'm pretty sure the EMPs have "Armory Kote" finishes on the lowers, so a parkerization pen may not match up right.

And one more thing, over the life of your firearm you may end up scratching that spot multiple times, you may just leave it the way it is as a reminder to be careful :)
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

The first scratch on a new item is the worst, now that you have initiated it , go use it.

If you can't see it unless the gun is stripped leave it alone. A touch up could end up looking worse. I bet you won't do it again, because it will be a huge reminder to you to be careful.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbj0186 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't care so much if I hadn't just gotten it today! Just sucks to save up that much and pay for something and scratch it within 5 minutes of taking it out of the box.
    Now you guys should understand why I replied as I did in the thread talking about field stripping guns before you buy...

If it where my gun, I'd just leave it be. Sorry to say, its going to get more scratchs on it when you carry it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, the reason I scratched it was because I'm not familiar with the traditional take down of a 1911. My Para deviates from the norm by not having a take down notch on the slide. You just pop it right in.

On the EMP I was trying to push it in, not knowing the take down notch had to be lined up with the slide stop lever. I knew something wasn't right. I didn't "jam" it in, but I pressed really hard and it slipped and there you have it. Yeah....I cursed.

When I read the manual trying to figure it out, I was thinking to myself "what the heck is a takedown notch", because there were no pics showing what it was in the directions.

I'm over it. It just always sucks getting the first one as soon as you get it home. I was hoping to at least go a week without putting a scratch on it!

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    If you can't see it unless the gun is stripped leave it alone. A touch up could end up looking worse. I bet you won't do it again, because it will be a huge reminder to you to be careful.
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Sponsored Links