Between S&W's M&P and Springfield's XD

This is a discussion on Between S&W's M&P and Springfield's XD within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I know everyone has their favorite. For an LEO duty weapon: For "this" post I'm asking if your ONLY choices in .40 caliber were ...

Thread: Between S&W's M&P and Springfield's XD

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar

Between S&W's M&P and Springfield's XD

Ok, I know everyone has their favorite.

For an LEO duty weapon:
    For "this" post I'm asking if your ONLY choices in .40 caliber were between the Smith and Wesson's M&P and Springfield's XD - which would you go for?

Comments as to "why" are welcome...

* Remember - Only between the M&P or the XD - no others please...

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ArmyCop; January 18th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
    For God, Family and Country!

2. Remove Ads

I've got an M&P .40 and an SA XD in 9mm.

In .40 for a LEO Duty Weapon? I'd go for the M&P.
    Here's why:
    1. Capacity. 15+1 vs. the 12+1 of the XD (the .45 holds 13+1! They really need to re-engineer the .40)
    2. Ambidextrous slide release, and changeable mag release
    3. Interchangeable backstraps

That's about it. They are both very tough, accurate combat weapons. For a single weapon that has to fit many people, the M&P wins hands down. It'll fit a large officer, a small officer, even a lefty! The only detractor is that it is new. S&W seem to have worked out the bugs now. I've got about a thousand rounds through my M&P without any problems. Course I've got over twelve thousand through my XD 9MM without a problem (except with Wolf Ammo). I love both guns, but for your specific purpose (and caliber), I'll vote M&P .40.
    Last edited by Exodus; January 20th, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a M&P .40 and my best friend has a XD .40, and I would have to agree with Exodus. Easier to shoot, mag capacity, grips, at many places is cheaper, plus you can't beat the warranty. Mine has many, many rounds through it and it has performed flawlessly.

If you start leaning toward the XD I'll have to start posting again.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Appearance

In addition to what was said above, I would add appearance as a reason to go with the M&P over the XD. The first time I saw the XD I thought it was even uglier than a Glock, which must have been difficult to achieve. The M&P is actually a streamlined, graceful gun.

Administrator
    The XD... its been around longer, and a little more proven.
    The M&P still says "sigma" to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The XD... its been around longer, and a little more proven.
    The M&P still says "sigma" to me.
    Agree, maybe the M&P in a year, once it has some real time on the range and in holsters.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yup it looks like a jerked over sigma to me. Ill take my xdsc thank you very much.

Sixgun

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I've owned the subcompact XD in 9mm. Great piece of machinery (8000+ rounds thru it, no problems). I own the XD Tac 45. Great piece of machinery (less than a 1000 rounds thru it). Nine tenths of the mechanical problems I have heard about with the XD where mostly with the 40.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hey, ArmyCop:

You didn't say we couldn't say "get both!"

But, OK, seriously, I'd say it depends on when you're going to get the pistol. If it was right now, today, next week or next week and I had to get one of 'em in such a near-term time frame, I'd say XD. Great ergs, great rep, etc., and it's been out a little longer

If I was going to wait a year or more, I'd say see what kind of luck other folks have with the M&P, then hold'em both, and if possible, SHOOT'em both to see which one feels best to you and shoots best for you.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Ok, I did it.
    Good comments for both the M&P and XD. I’d hoped I could shoot them both but I couldn’t find anyone I personally knew who owned one or the other. Local dealer has sold several of both. Local dealer also said they used to carry what the XD had been in the past before Springfield picked them up from Croatia. Dealer used to sell them a lot cheaper but hardly anyone would buy it because it came from there. Sales for the XD are way up now he guessed due to Springfield taking them in and good ads…

From checking them both out at my local dealer as well as I could without actually shooting them AND taking into consideration all the responses on this and other forums I posted on – the feel of holding – trigger and considering everything mentioned I said good by to my Ruger (hated to let it go) and - - - brought home the M&P.

Took it with me for a few hours duty as Auxiliary PD officer and the responses from “the guys” were mostly “Wow, Lemmie see that.
    Cool! Man, Feels better than my Glock.

When did they come out with this?
    I gotta try this out when you go to the range!
    It holds HOW MANY .40 cal’s? FIFTEEN? That’s great?”
    Very enthusiastic response’s about it’s feel, look and the ease of field striping.

** Not bad mouthing the Glock - some other officers liked it but said they'd never let go of their Glock for anything. Each to his own you know. One has a SIG and would never part from it...

I’m really anxious to get it to the range and try it out.

Oh, BTW – the trigger safety REALLY works. I didn’t see much movement at the hinge at all so I got a pencil and tried to pull it from the top without touching the bottom hinge part and it would not come back.
    No big deal to you guys I’m sure but I’ve never had much experience with this kind of trigger myself so I just had to check it out. Glad I did – added a little more confidence in that safety system for me.
    For God, Family and Country!

Congrats on the new weapon. Hope it works out well for you! To tell the truth, the capacity is what first caught my attention.

And hey, you can always do what I did. Get both!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Congrats ArmyCop, bought the M&P in 9mm for the wife and I have to say its a great shooting pistol. I have put 300+ rounds through it without a single hiccup.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Links