Cleaning brush with new pistols...WTH?

This is a discussion on Cleaning brush with new pistols...WTH? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen several manufacturers that include a single cleaning brush with new pistols. What's the point of that? I suppose using that brush through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning brush with new pistols...WTH?

Cleaning brush with new pistols...WTH?

I've seen several manufacturers that include a single cleaning brush with new pistols.

What's the point of that?

I suppose using that brush through the bore is better than no cleaning at all. But, I would also assume that the owner's manuals for these guns call for a more thorough cleaning than can be accomplished with that little brush alone.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    So you want your gun to come with a complete cleaning kit?

I suspect they do this so you have a bore brush for that particular caliber, everything else in a cleaning kit is pretty much universal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    So you want your gun to come with a complete cleaning kit?
    No, I want the gun to be a $1 cheaper because they don't include a brush

If you're that stuck for a dollar you need to get a second job.

I would rather that the gun came with abox of ammo than a brush. I can get brushes at Wal-Mart for near nothing. Ammo on the other hand is getting a little pricey.

Administrator
    Then the price of the gun will go up to whatever the cost+profit of the ammo is. While we are at it, I want my new gun to come a new truck and one of those mail order brides.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    If you're that stuck for a dollar you need to get a second job.
    One dollar per firearm over a lifetime of firearms collecting is one more firearm the way I see it!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

My Taurau 945 came with a Mag cleaning brush. I guess they were giving a hint that one should clean the mags now and then.

I'm not worried about a brush, if I get one or not.
    I do however think that all the 'free' stuff you get with an XD could be replaced with an extra magazine or two.

All guns should come with more than 2 mags.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    I'm not worried about a brush, if I get one or not.
    I do however think that all the 'free' stuff you get with an XD could be replaced with an extra magazine or two.

All guns should come with more than 2 mags.
    I'll go along with that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+1 on the xd gear it is a little cheesy.

Sixgun

The brush is included as a finger saver. A few limp wristed sissy shooters can get thier finger all the way down the barrel. I cant. The factory bean counters have averaged out the cost and agree that most of thier preferred customers cant either. Before you shoot the new from factory gun check the barrel by sticking your finger down the full length to check for obstructions, if you can you are SPECIAL.SPECIAL PEOPLE can send me the gun brush and I will forward them in bulk to the bean counters for a refund,(60 to 90 days days before you call to check) Everyone else should read the manual and run the bore brush the full length of the barrel before OPERATING the weapon.

As a side note. The early Smith and Wesson screw drivers are very collectible and many are now worth more than the original purchase price of the weapon( included free). I do like your post, and only the smart poeple get my humor. Now how do I find the politically correct term for "limp wristed sissy shooters"(Glock bean counters want to know too).
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

VIP Member
    Come on guys, your reading to much into this. It's called a 'gimme', when people buy any item, they are pleased when they get something a little extra.

For those of you over 30 (you younger ones just aren't old enough to have been around), remember when you bought a firearm & it only came in a cardboard box? The gun was probably wrapped it oiled paper & that was it, other than an instruction manual (that didn't tell you much).

As the years have progressed, manufactured added little 'gimmes' to help mollify their customers into thinking they were getting something. So they start adding things like a bore brush or like S&W adding a unloaded chamber indicator (little orange barrel plug). Now makers put there handguns in nicer plastic or cordura cases that are lockable (they also come with gun locks that can used for all sorts of other things). Then semi-auto makers started to add premium 'gimmes', like extra magazines. Revolver makers did similarly with extra caliber cylinders.

These don't cost the maker hardly anything, but most people like getting something 'extra'......now it seems it's become expected by the customer & they feel slighted if it isn't worthy.......

As to the cheap bore brush........think about it guys (& gals...don't want to forget the other demographic), most people buy a gun & MAYBE shoot it once & put it up in the closet & forget about it. There is only a small percentage that shoot enough to need better cleaning equipment.

If you're so upset about only getting one cheap brush, get over it & go out & spend the money to get the proper equipment. Besides, cleaning kits are CHEAP. I probably have all the original brushes that have come with my guns. I've never used any of them. Out in my garage, I have all the original boxes of every gun I ever bought & the only thing missing from those boxes is the firearm & magazines. (Except for one of the plastic brushes from one of my Glocks......my wife uses it to brush the dog's teeth.)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    didn't get a bore brush with my pistol, but he mustache brush it came with sure is nice.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Then the price of the gun will go up to whatever the cost+profit of the ammo is. While we are at it, I want my new gun to come a new truck and one of those mail order brides.
    My witty comment was misunderstood due to my lack of using a smiley or two . I certainly understand that prices would reflect the "add-on". Now the new truck thing, that might not be bad . The mail order bride I would pass on. Not only would my wife not understand why there is this second woman, but I need another wife like my wife needs more shoes .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links