Releasing the Slide

Releasing the Slide

This is a discussion on Releasing the Slide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all. I was reading a thread where the OP is relating a problem with the decocker activating intermitantly when using the slide lock to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releasing the Slide

Releasing the Slide

Hey all.

I was reading a thread where the OP is relating a problem with the decocker activating intermitantly when using the slide lock to free the slide to move forward.

In an earlier post I was made aware of the error I was making by manually inserting a round into the chamber rather than letting the slide strip it out of a loaded magazine. I have thusly corrected that practice.
    BTW shooting a SA XD.40.

My question today is this.

Is there a problem looming in the future if one were to simply pull down the slide lock lever with their thumb after swapping out magazines, rather than using the "slingshot" method?

thanks
    MikeV
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 19th, 2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Assistant Administrator
    I don't personally think use of a slide-lock lever is usually a problem - altho on some 1911's it does seem to result over time in some ''upset'' of the metal on rear of the slot in the slide - which is mostly cosmetic.

''Slingshotting'' does add a small extra distance for slide to travel but does not IMO make that much of a difference overall. I am tempted to think that if a gun HAS to be slingshotted as only way to achieve full battery - something must be amiss.

True enough - loading a chamber and then dropping slide can be prejudicial to extractor claws. More on some guns than others. Best always to strip off mag and then ''top off''.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Either is correct. Try to be consistent though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

P95CARRY

ok, the reason that I ask this question is due to the fact that, while taking a class The instructor displayed an older 1911 that would basically automatically release the slide upon seating a magazine whether its loaded or not.

In no way did I mean to imply that My XD will not go into battery unless I used the "slingshot" method. My XD functions just fine either way. I was more concerned that I may be inflicting minor assaults that over time could cause problems with the gun over time.

Thanks again
    MikeV
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 19th, 2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh - OK Mike.

My ref to not going into battery was aimed as a general observation actually ....... sorta in passing

Your mention re mag insertion making for a slide release BTW - not at all uncommon it seems. Some Glocks seem to do this and have seen it - plus Bersa .380 also will react this way if mag slammed home. With some 1911's I reckon if the notch in slide is worn enough then they too could release from mag going in - like the one you mentioned.

Actually if a consistent event it's rather useful for quick reloads - but not necessarily gonna happen every time.
    Last edited by P95Carry; January 19th, 2007 at 03:44 PM.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    "The instructor displayed an older 1911 that would basically automatically release the slide upon seating a magazine whether its loaded or not."

That particular firearm would be a pistol in need of repair and having some parts changed out.
    That is NOT typical or normal for even an older 1911 pistol.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have used Simmunitions in an M9 (the 92F) during actual FoF training. I've found (for myself) during "the push" I'll loose my fine motor skills. I'll try to release the slide using the slide lock, only to get a weird alien-like swiping motion from my thumb. When I switched to the slingshot method, Ive found all I have to do is grab the whole slide with my weak hand, pull it back, and let go. It works for me.

I've also found, releasing the slide using the slide lock has actually rounded the edge (of the slide lock lever), and has made it unable to retain the slide in the locked position. In my 1911, It's been rounded to the point where after my last shot, the slide lock won't hold the slide back. It's an easy fix, just replace the lever with a new one. But you have to take into account I'm the most laziest person on earth.

However (comma)

I've found that releasing the slide using the slingshot method while under stress can have it's own drawback. Namely with pistols with slide-mounted decocking levers. With the M9, I have on several occasions gripped the slide where the palm of my left hand mashes up against the whole left side of the decocking mechanisim, when I release, the decocking lever gets pushed to decock. Trying to fire that freshly chambered round, and getting the "***?!?" feeling isn't something you'll easily forget. During FoF, it happend several times. However, back at the armory's cleaning station, I tried it about 20 times and could NOT successfully duplicate the tripping of the decocker.

Just my experiance.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The instructor displayed an older 1911 that would basically automatically release the slide upon seating a magazine whether its loaded or not.
    A 1911 in need of attention since someone bubba'd up the slide stop .

I carry kahrs so i use the slide stop over slingshot tho the way i sling the slide i have never had a mis feed with a kahr or any other auto . Brisk is the key for feed no matter the action , if you slingshot it do it birskly , never ease a slide down in any way . and btw NEVER hand load a chamber on any auto . I once ( with witnesses ) had a S&W 5906 fire doing this , with no mag in it and the safety on , just enough primer wipe to make a ND . oO( dammed near shot my knee off on that one , was loud inside too , but all worked out well since muzzle was in a safe dir )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I would agree that either is correct to do but I have seen rounded off slide stop's from dropping the slide stop with your thumb when used a lot in this manor.

In training the instructors have moved us away from dropping the "Slide Stop" as that is what it really is. IMO as well as most any trainer I have trained with will tell you that the "Sling Shot" method is the better way to do it to save stress on part's such as the slide stop.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    sling shot or slide release. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I like to be able to operate my pistol w/ one hand , so opt for the slide release. Also I feel the sling shot method slows the reload sequence.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I am with Rocky. Practice like you are going to fight and I might have to fight one handed.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

The training I have recieved has been to not use the slide stop to drop the slide after a mag change, if it can be helped.

I do agree however, to do it as you have been trained or feel most comfortable with.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    FWIW:

The slide lock is only designed to be just that - a slide lock. All rounds should be chambered by racking the slide in a normal manner.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

"Sling Shot" method is the better way to do it to save stress on part's such as the slide stop.
    Dude it's chunk of metal. It's built to handle stress. I can understand babying a safe queen, but a carry weapon? Next you are going to say don't shoot your weapon, you'll wear out the springs, the trigger assembly, and the firing assembly. Or don't use a holster, else it'll wear out the finish. Or only insert the magazine slowly, so you won't damage the lips.

The slide stop will wear just by shooting to slide lock. The slide impacts the slide stop everytime that happens.

The slide lock is only designed to be just that - a slide lock.
    Er... is that why you only lock your doors, but never unlock them? Do we have to call them "unlocks" before we can unlock them? Hehe. And who's calling them slide locks, are you sure all firearm designers designed that part to be only used for locking the slide? If I didn't want people using it to release the slide, I'll make it internal, or as a push button so I can only lock but can't release.

I think both methods are perfectly fine. As others have mentioned, it's a matter of tradeoffs, and I think there are no significant benefits or disadvantages to either.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I use the sling shot method for two reasons:

1. You don't wear the parts prematurely. Some guns are more susceptable than others, and some are easier to fix. One problem with the part wearing down is that the gun may stop staying open when the magazine is empty. This would slow your reload reaction, expecially if you are not used to reloading with the slingshot method. Your gun may also fail to remain open for any number of reasons.

2. When clearing a malfunction, you have to slingshot the action. That little lever on the side won't do you any good. It is good to become proficient in what is going to save you in combat. If you start introducing 2 or more methods for the same task, you only serve to confuse yourself when you need clarity.

Some people refered to the possibility that they may be reloading one handed so that you should use that lever. Out of curiosity, I wonder how many people here know how to a one handed malfunction drill?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links