Winchester 94 32

Winchester 94 32

This is a discussion on Winchester 94 32 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My cousin came around this weekend to visit and do some plinking. She brought her Model 94 chambered in 32 WS. I've been vaguely aware ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By Jaeger

Thread: Winchester 94 32

Distinguished Member

Winchester 94 32

My cousin came around this weekend to visit and do some plinking. She brought her Model 94 chambered in 32 WS. I've been vaguely aware for some time that she had it but had never seen it. Wow. She's traced the serial number to between 41 and 48. The condition of the rifle, while far from perfect, is well above respectable. My range out back is better served for handguns so we did not shoot the rifle. I intend on changing that very soon.

I've done a brief bit of research on the caliber and from what I've read so far, it stacks up next to the 30-30 very nicely. In fact it exceeds the performance of the 30-30 just a tad. Placing two rounds side by side, 32 WS and 30-30, they are almost indistinguishable in visual comparison. The 32 is larger in diameter, obviously. It would seem that the 32 delivered some answers to some questions that weren't really on the minds of the shooting world, then and now. Slightly improved performance was offset by more felt recoil and a general lack of available ammunition. And while it probably doesn't matter, the only factory round or reload specs that I've seen so far limit the caliber to 170 gr. The 30-30 has a little more flexibility in projectile and charge. So it seems it was the right thing, wrong time for Winchester.

Any experiences with the 32 WS? I'd be interested in first hand knowledge. Thanks.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

OD*
    Honestly, the biggest difference between the two is rifling, the .30WCF is/was 1:12 and the .32WS is 1:16. You will find many claims on the internet stating the .32WS was brought out because it was easier loading it with blackpower (for the hand loaders), nowhere have I ever found Winchester making that claim in any of their old advertisements. What Winchester did state is that it was a replacement for the older blackpowder .32-40 which was actually one of the two original chambering's offered in 1894, the other being the 38-55 (the 30WCF wasn't offered until 1895). The .32 Winchester did offer slightly more powder capacity to the hand loader than the .30-30.

From Winchester's 1916 catalogue;
    The .32 Winchester Special cartridge, which we have perfected, is offered to meet the demand of many sportsmen for a smokeless powder cartridge of larger caliber than the .30 Winchester Center Fire [original name for the 30-30] and yet not so powerful as the .30 Army [aka, the 30-40 Krag].

I had a 1939 .32WS, but it couldn't do anything more than the numerous .30WCFs I had at the time.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    svgheartland, I had forgotten about Mic McPherson's article on the ol' .32WS, you may find it interesting;
    The 32 Winchester Special, What Makes It Special?
    AzQkr, SatCong and GhostMaker like this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    svgheartland, I had forgotten about Mic McPherson's article on the ol' .32WS, you may find it interesting;
    The 32 Winchester Special, What Makes It Special?
    That's a good read, thanks for the link
    OD* likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

One of the older gents I deer hunted with carried one. I shot it and the 30-30 one after another and really couldn't feel a difference. I tried buying it from him a couple of times but he really loved it. After he passed I heard his stupid kid sold it to a pawn shop for $100.

The wife has a .32 WS, and I shoot a .35 Rem. Both are Marlins.

There really isn't much difference at all between the three, 30/30, 32 WS and 35 Rem. Just simply shooting a little fatter heavier bullet, but shooting them out to 100-150 yds will give you the same result. After that you will get more drop with the heavier rds, but I don't consider any of the three long range guns.

I guess I am just an odd duck in that since the 30/30 is such a common round I opted to go with something different. The 32 WS was supposed to be for me, but the wife decided she liked it more than me, so I let her have it and got myself a 35 Rem instead. I got turned on to the 35 Rem from my dad, that is what he used to hunt with in Wisconsin. The woods in East Texas and Wisconsin are pretty similar so I thought what the heck.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the three, 30/30, 32 WS or 35 Rem for the type of hunting we have around here. All good calibers for their intended purpose. You can find ammo for the 32 WS online fairly easily, just buy enough that it would last you a long time. After all, most people don't go out plinking with these guns.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member
    OD, thanks. I stumbled up on the read over coffee this morning. Nice write up, I forwarded to my cousin. I'm going to have to encourage her to get it sighted and bring it out once deer season opens. I'd like to see her get some Williams on it.
    OD* likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    That's a good read, thanks for the link
    You're quite welcome.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

It really doesn't get much better than this 1903 M93 purchased new by my Great Grandfather at my Great Uncle's hardware store in Stephens AR. There is no telling how many deer it's killed through good times and bad, but I know it's filled hungry bellies on many occasions.
    image.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    There's no blue left, just brown, but the rifling is still crisp and sharp and it'll hold a group at 100 yds easily within a minute of deer. I've killed several with it myself, and whenever I go hunting I always pause and consider it when selecting a rifle. If I don't choose it (usually because I'm hunting in a place with open pasture) I'm always a little sad about it...
    svgheartland likes this.
    ďOf all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

It really doesn't get much better than this 1903 M93 purchased new by my Great Grandfather at my Great Uncle's hardware store in Stephens AR. There is no telling how many deer it's killed through good times and bad, but I know it's filled hungry bellies on many occasions.
    image.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    There's no blue left, just brown, but the rifling is still crisp and sharp and it'll hold a group at 100 yds easily within a minute of deer. I've killed several with it myself, and whenever I go hunting I always pause and consider it when selecting a rifle. If I don't choose it (usually because I'm hunting in a place with open pasture) I'm always a little sad about it...
    Nice Winchester.

Did you maybe mean a 1953 M94? The 94 pictured has the ramped front sight which wasn't introduced until circa 1936, it has the "short wood" forearm which began circa 1953 (around serial 1,940,000) and the receiver is drilled and tapped for the Lyman receiver sight which began around 1,900,000 (late '52 early '53). The magazine cap isn't slotted, Winchester used the slotted mag caps to around 1,500,000 or 1948-49.

If you'd give me the serial number, I'll check date of manufacture.

Links