legal technicalities in regard to conversions

This is a discussion on legal technicalities in regard to conversions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope this is the right place to post this If not, mods feel free to move it. When I was 13 and lived on a ...

Thread: legal technicalities in regard to conversions

Hope this is the right place to post this If not, mods feel free to move it.

When I was 13 and lived on a ranch, I received a blackpowder revolver replica from a family member of mine and I practiced with it quite a bit and seemed to like it. Well, blackpowder revolvers have come a long way and are more reliable now; they also have conversion cylinders available for most models.

Times for me have changed as well; instead of living out on a ranch I live in the city :-( and have to frequent firing ranges instead of my good ol' homemade shooting gallery. :) Now here is the big question:

I'm 18, and I know that it would be okay for me to bring the blackpowder revolver to the outdoor range in town and fire it, but what about when I stick the conversion cylinder in? Do the laws pertaining to transportation and posession suddenly change? I asked a security officer I work with about it (not just your average rent-a-cop; he's commissioned by the PD and has worked PD before; in fact, he's going back in a few months) and he said he didn't see any problem with it since I could buy it legally, but agreed that the Missouri statutes may make it a little cloudy. What do you guys think?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IANL but imho the installed conversion cyl makes it a modern firearm subject to the same laws and restrictions that apply to all , ie if it can shoot modern ammo it will legaly be treated as a firearm not a curio as black powder firearms are.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    I agree - the conversion effectively makes it into a ''firearm'' in the sense of legal age of possession etc.

I am happy to be corrected but this is how I always read it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    The above posts are correct. Don't risk it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I kind of figured so as well; thank you for the quick replies!

While we're on the subject, just how should I go about transporting the pistol in its blackpowder state?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Lead Moderator
    same as any other gun. If the cylinder is loaded, take it out, or atleast remove the caps.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Most states have laws that allow someone under 18 to shoot a pistol as long as they are under the care of a responsible adult over the age of 21.

Just bring a friend that is over 21 and call it good.

Dont try it by yourself. If someone questions the act, you could be charged with "minor in possession of a handgun" amd that charge could follow you around for a long time.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah...I know that it is ridiculous, but thats the way it is...

While we're on the subject, just how should I go about transporting the pistol in its blackpowder state?
    In a case like any other.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    For transport i would pop the locking wedge , and seperate it into its 3 component parts , then case it . That way there isnt much that the powers that be can complain about .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Links