Range log.

This is a discussion on Range log. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I keep a log of how much and what caliber ammo I shoot at the range. It was suggested to me by my CCW instructor ...

Thread: Range log.

Range log.

I keep a log of how much and what caliber ammo I shoot at the range.
    It was suggested to me by my CCW instructor as a prudent move should I ever be involved in a self defense court case, if I can prove I regularly practiced and was fully competent with that particular firearm it would be better than if it was a gun that I seemed to rarely use and was unfamiliar with.
    But there is a second reason I log my range visits, there was a thread here earlier asking for data on Kahr firearms and numbers of rounds. The answers were all ballpark figures mostly. It is very useful to know how many rounds your gun has fired, even if you bought it used. You can predict any spring failure or other replacements.

It takes me a minute to write down the information each time, and about 5 minutes every page to carry the totals over.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Alias, that's a ******* an idea. That's all good info to have, for lots of reasons.

An idiot persecutor could take the logs and "demonstrate" that you were "rehearsing to kill people" or some such junk, but I don't think it would fly too well.

You've made a convert (me) !
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

An idiot persecutor could take the logs and "demonstrate" that you were "rehearsing to kill people" or some such junk, but I don't think it would fly too well.
    Yes I thought about that.
    If my lawyer decided that it might go that way then we could simply not present them, better to have and not need.

I do something similar - a notebook on the reloading sessions, updated after range visits.

Helps me figure out what works and what doesnt.

I keep a note book for reloads and for rounds shot though each gun and how many what day

That way i can track # of rounds gun has for spring replacement etc etc

Administrator
    I do for rifle, but not for pistol, I would go through notebooks to much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just started to keep a range log in a miniature composition notebook on my XD45. I wish I would have started to keep a log earlier so I had some info for all my firearms but live and learn. Once I get back from the range I input the info from my notebook into my spreadsheet. Here are the column headers.

(# of Rounds) (Manufacturer) (Brand) (Grains) (Type) (Date Fired) (Problems?) (Bullseye) ($ Spent)

then I have my totals

(Total Rounds Fired) (Bullseyes) (Bullseyes %) (LBS. of Bullets Fired) (Total $)

I also have full size copy of the targets the local range uses. I use these to make digital recreations of my targets in photoshop, that way I don't have to keep hundreds of targets for recording purposes.

http://www.gonefission.net/images/xd_forum/Targets/

I am not that good of a shot, but at least I can hit the paper ( I have seen some bad shots at the range).

I keep records so that I know how long between cleanings and how many total rounds they have. I also keep records of parts changes so that any parts/mag/ammo changes I make can be linked to any malfunctions or improvements (1911). It helps me to recall what I have done when I am having problems (such as POI/A adjustments), to see if I have done it and how I fixed it before. Also, if I make an error in a match or something, I record it to read it later and remind me how to avoid doing it again. When I had a balky, used 1911 that I was trying to get to run, I found it especially useful to record exactly what types of failures, with what magazines and how often to see if changes helped and to tell the factory repair shop exactly what was going on.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I keep a log of total rounds what guns I shoot. Type of shooting such as target testing or defence shooting. And I jot down any failures with what gun if any.

Sixgun

I keep a spreadsheet for each of my weapons, tracking location, reason for shooting (class, range visit, PS shoot, etc.), # of rounds, type of ammo, and noting any malfunctions. The latter is the main reason I track this stuff, to get an idea how reliable my carry gun is in a statistical sense. As it happens, I haven't had any action on that front. My USP has 896 rounds through it with zero malfunctions.

Great! I'm not the only anal gun guy here.

I keep a separate log for each gun. I record the date, the type of ammo, number of rounds and any problems I experienced. I also make an entry when I have any work done on the gun or replace anything major.

Links