Daddy-daughter date at the skeet range

This is a discussion on Daddy-daughter date at the skeet range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My oldest daughter has taken a sudden interest in shotgun sports. So, like the good dad, I'm trying to throw her in with both feet. ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 11 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Daddy-daughter date at the skeet range

My oldest daughter has taken a sudden interest in shotgun sports. So, like the good dad, I'm trying to throw her in with both feet. lol She walked the sporting clays range with me a couple weeks ago. Then shot about 20 rounds at a static thrower and managed one bird with an old single shot 20 ga with full choke. Yeah, that's tough. I ordered some gauge reducers to bring my 12 ga Citori down to 20 ga. She shot the sporting clays course the next week and shot a 10. We were going to head back to sporting clays but a buddy invited us down to his club and offered to let Lauren shoot a couple of his guns. She shot his 1100 in 20 ga the most and has decided she wants a semi auto instead of O/U now. That's fine with me, probably best anyway. And it's the type gun she wants which is what matters. So, for a few pics.

We camped her out at the low house and she went through about 3 and a half boxes of shells. Mostly 20 ga and half a box of 28 ga. She managed quite a few birds and did very well. My buddy provided some excellent instruction too.

After a while he put me in the coaching spot and I did not get any more pics but got a short video of her busting one.

http://vid206.photobucket.com/albums...psd8a3f46d.mp4

Then she took my phone and snapped some great shots while we ran the skeet course for 3 rounds.

Low house bird crossing.

In this one she got the smoke, wad dropping away, shot, and the bird coming in. All I had to do was crop in a bit so you can make it all out.

And a couple of dead birds.

We had a great day. She was all smiles, all day. Shoulder is bruised and sore and still smiling. Take a kid shooting.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Love this. My niece is living with us right now while she goes to college here in Corpus. I took her shooting for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's great passing it on.

Well done, chief! I think an 1100 in 20 ga is a wonderful choice for a a young gal starting out. It's lighter than the Citori for sure and the gas operation is easy on the shoulder, without the fatigue of mounting the heavier gun. Plus there are scads of 1100s around and everyone knows how to fix 'em. Appropriately choked, the 20 will give up maybe a couple birds per round of skeet compared to a 12, but that's an acceptable handicap for a beginner.

Maybe there's something in the water out there, but my boss (in FL) mentioned his college-age daughter just caught the clay-shooting bug recently as well!
    nedrgr21 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good dad.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

VIP Member
    That looks like a lot of fun to have with your kid.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    You'd better watch out. Before you know it, those youthful, eagle eyes and quick reflexes can humble you.

We try to have a "Youth Day" at the skeet range, twice a year. I don't know who has the most fun, the experienced shooters or the kids. Seeing a target shatter seems to bring great joy and builds their confidence. The look on their face is priceless when they get an "Alabama Talcum Powder".

Way to go Dad..Keep up the good work...
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

She could barely lift her arms today. Still smiling about it though. I bet she want's to shoot some next Sat too. Now to shop for a shotgun.....
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Sponsored Links