Break-free CLP? - Page 2

Break-free CLP?

This is a discussion on Break-free CLP? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just as an update, I finally got an aerosol can of Break-Free CLP, and Break-Free Powder Blast. I tried the Powder Blast first, on the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Break-free CLP?

Just as an update, I finally got an aerosol can of Break-Free CLP, and Break-Free Powder Blast.

I tried the Powder Blast first, on the P22. Seemed to blow away just about all the gunk and residue in the gun, but Hoppe's did the same thing, till the gun dried. After I let the Powder Blast evaporate, I sprayed her down with some CLP. Make no mistake, this stuff is freaking awesome. Dissolved any remaining dirt/residue/carbon on contact, stayed put, and it doesn't evaporate so it acts as a lubricant and protectant. And to put icing on the cake, it's non-toxic and has a light, refreshing citrus scent! The P22 looks just about as clean as a whistle (I'm going to tackle the mags today after work). Now I just have to find time to take it to the range and see if functionality has been restored.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    Try s&w new foaming cleaning lub and protectant

I hate to tell you this but CLP isn't really non-toxic. We've always been told that it is a carcinogen. Granted that might just be because of the amount we use at work.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Just about everything is a carcinogen. I've seen welding masks sold at Harbor Freight that have a warning label on the box: WARNING: This product is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

If wearing a welder's mask causes cancer, I can't help but wonder what else does.

The main reason CLP might be classified as a carcinogen is because its manufacture involves the use of petroleum distillates, and petroleum is really a carcinogen. CLP is as benign as it gets, but because its manufacture involves using a carcinogen, they must label it as such.

PVC pipes are the same way: They're not carcinogens, but they must be sold as such because certain compounds used in its manufacture are.

edit; here's the MSDS for Break-Free CLP. Reading through, it seems like it's a very very benign chemical. No specific dangers to inhalation or skin contact apparent.
    Last edited by General Geoff; February 2nd, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Health=1; Fire=1; Reactivity=0

Not bad considering this is the aerosol version.

It is all I use on my weapons other than Sweet's 7.62 for copper cleaning or a electronic bore cleaner.
    Team WTFDTSG?

***** happens, it becomes the past. Live with it, learn from it and get on with it.

Administrator
    This product is known to cause cancer in the State of California.
    Good thing I live in Pennsylvania & not California...I'm safe!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey & Don't Forget About FP-10 ~ Great Stuff!

Firepower FP-1O Lubricant Elite TM
    Cleaner, Lubricant, & Protectant For Firearms

Firepower FP-1O Lubricant Elite TM is a petrochemical product specifically designed and formulated with the serious shootist, sportsman and professional armorer in mind. No other product can match the performance and unique qualities of FP-10.

Extensive testing and evaluation has proven that FP-10 improves bore accuracies due to its unique metal-treating capabilities and reduced coefficients of friction between the bullet surface and rifling lands of the barrel. This results in more linear bullet velocities and a more even distribution of chamber pressure (c.u.p.) during ignition and bullet flight within the bore. Secondly, the reduced coefficients of friction mean reduced friction-related heat and wear, not only within the bore, but on all moving metal parts of the weapon.

FP-10 contains Muscle MT-10 Metal Treatment TM to smooth and seal metal surfaces with no danger of build up or changes in tolerance. FP-10 causes an electrochemical reaction to take place upon the metal surfaces developing a cation* exchange of positive and negative ions. Metals are made up of metallic carbides (high surface areas of positive charge) and base metals (low surface areas of negative charge). When FP-10 is applied to a system, such as the moving parts or slide of an auto, there is a cation exchange of ions which fills up the low surface areas of the metal and alters the surface to create a totally positive state of polarity. When the metal surface polarity becomes uniform in charge, there is a reduction in friction due to the Faraday reaction of like charges. Likewise, in the case of FP-10, a similar reaction takes place within the bore as the treated static metals of the rifled lands assist in ballistic movement of the bullet due to reduced frictional coefficients. This causes a more even build of pressure during ignition due to the fact that the bullet sees less frictional resistance from the lands, causing an improved accuracy expressed in better average velocities, extreme spreads, standard deviations and bullet groupings.

Keeps Weapons Functional in Adverse Conditions

Dramatically Improves Lubrication**

Cleans Firearm & Removes Leading

Removes Burnt Powder & Dirt

Shields Against Corrosion

Penetrates Remote Areas

Stops & Inhibits Rust

Breakfree vs. FP-10
    Wear tests were performed by an Internationally recognized ASTM Research Facility in San Antonio, Texas, between Breakfree CLP® and Firepower FP-10 Lubricant Elite™.

The test results show two categories of data. One being the load wear index, or scar on the bearing after the test reaches its maximum lubricity or seizure point. The second being the seizure point itself. As can be seen from the attached data, the load wear index of Break Free indicates 61.83 and a weld point (bearing seizure) of 315 kg. When FP-10 was run under the identical conditions, it did not seize, even at the highest load point possible on the machine (720 kg).

The results obtained from wear tests performed according to ASTM D 2783 are as follows:

Oil Code ____________Load Wear Index _______Weld Point. (kg)
    Break Free CLP __________61.83 _________________315
    Fire Power FP-10 __________N/A _____________No Seize at 720

Firepower FP-10 did not seize at the highest load available in this test procedure.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 2nd, 2007 at 06:57 PM.

i can second fp-10 it works great i still use it along with other stuff i have

Thank you sir, I stand corrected.

But wait...that would mean the military lied to me!
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

CLP always breaks gunk loose after Hoppes has stopped working. Down side of CLP is that it gums up in cold weather. Whether you use it in the winter or not should be dictated by your mode of carry. IWB keeps it nice & warm, but I wouldn't recommend it if the weapon is to be exposed to cold temps.

Eh? It's guaranteed functional down to IIRC -55 degrees celsius (-67F).

I've use various solvents to start the cleaning depending on if I'm shooting lead or FMJ, then I'll finish with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. Never anything left after that hits it. I will say my composite stock on my 10/22 didn't like it and it immediately discolored on contact. No problem on my wifes P22 which is OD/Green. G/S is a good working product, but I've often wondered what it's prolonged effects on both plastic and metal parts are. I know it prompted me to start wearing protective gloves when working with it.

Usually I use Hoppes 9 in the barrel, wait, brush it, then patch it out. Very lite spray or cloth with CLP including barrel, clean everything...wipe down lightly. Lightly and barely smudge a LITTLE grease on a the rails, hammer face and hammer interface (KelTec P380).

I have and occ use other famous and not famous stuff but this works easily, quickly and well.

I stopped using CLP a long time ago. Now I use what the troops in the sandbox prefer: militec acts like a dry lube because it bonds to the metal when it is applied in the heat (gun is HOT from firing). CLP is a grit attracter. http://militec1.com/miva/merchant.mv...ategory_Code=1 Militec will send you a FREE SAMPLE to try it. They also send it to the troops in a combat zone at a tremendously reduced price which they also extend to military families who buy to send to their soldier in a combat zone. There have been stories about how troops experienced the grit trouble I outlined above in the desert. So the unit wives held a bake sale to get money to buy the militec by the CASE and send it to hubby. Militec shaved a huge portion of the cost at that point. The stuff works. When I competed in the State IDPA match last year, I took a small bottle and used it right after each string because the gun had reached the necessary temp. I guess it's designed for use in the desert. Be sure and use a BORESNAKE to clean the barrel! Works far better than a rod and patch. And you can carry it with you when you shoot or hunt.

Also to take the residue off, try DISC BRAKE CLEANER. It's the same stuff as GUN SCRUBBER but at about a 75% savings. But ONLY use it on metal parts like the barrel.

GUNSLICK also offers a foaming type cleaner that works on all surfaces.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links