Firearms survival kits?

This is a discussion on Firearms survival kits? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone else noticed a trend of firearms makes making "survival kits" that come with their guns? I've seen a couple of em recently, and ...

Thread: Firearms survival kits?

Firearms survival kits?

Has anyone else noticed a trend of firearms makes making "survival kits" that come with their guns? I've seen a couple of em recently, and while the idea might be good in concept, I'm not exactly sure how much I would rely on the stuff they put in them. Here are a couple of examples for y'all to look at:

Smith and Wesson's new "Disaster Ready Kit":
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...13&isFirearm=Y

Thier "Emergency Survival Kit", w/ some light reading for when for when you get attacked by a bear :
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...07&isFirearm=Y

And Mossberg has their "Just in case", including a marine option:
    http://www.mossberg.com/press/detail...on=media&id=30
    http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=27188
    http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-...roductID=27187

Any thoughts on any of these? Or does anyone know of any other companies starting to do this? I know bug out bags are popular, but what do you folks think about this attempt at pre-made ones?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    With knowing that i have not so much as viewed any link provided , the concept of a " survival gun " or kit , is pure marketing , for instance a bug out bag in my location and situation is stupidity, I know this , but wrap a nice package of stuff up ( most of that i dont need ) and sell it to me as being prepaired .. makes me feel good that i purchased it , and also makes me not purchace the actual things i need ... after all i just bought this " survival gun and package " didn't i ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I know bug out bags are popular, but what do you folks think about this attempt at pre-made ones?
    I'm not against the idea of a pre-made BOB, but I think including a firearm has the potential to get certain people in trouble. I can see somebody with little or no firearms experience buying it, never taking the firearm out of the package, learning how to use it, practicing with it, cleaning it, or learning about the legalities of self defense. Then, when the SHTF, they'll pull out the gun and either won't be able to use it properly and get shot, or use it when they shouldn't and get thrown in jail.

One of Jeff Cooper's quotes (which someone on this board has in their sig) comes to mind, "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a piano makes you a musician." These pre-made bugout bags aren't really a problem for anyone who knows how to defend themselves with a firearm, but anyone who knows how to defend themselves probably has a firearm that they'd prefer use for that purpose already, so there's not much reason to purchase one of these kits. I'd be far more confident in my EDC than in a gun that stays locked up inside a bugout bag.

The mossberg ones arn't to bad. I make a similar survival kit for my friends . I use a plastic pipe 4in in diameter 20inch long. I don't put a shotgun in it but I do put a short machete, small hunting knife, Opinal folding knife and small pair of pliers (a folding tool would be better), Firestarting materials, first aid supplies. This is just the basics. Other things are then included in the bag as needed.

I think the Mossberg kits would be a good adendum to add to a BOB but not a kit in itself. I like the cruiser.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    guys , lets take a moment and think , now not to be bug out at all , but having a bug out bag implys a plan and normaly a plan is for a specific set of conditions , now lets take weather , just as a for instance since it is the thing that might make folks migrate in the usa . But weather , the leftists going nutz , or whateaver , stop and think on a bug out actualy,,,, where am i going to take my famly , and how much do i need to do so . For us here ( in southeast colorado ) our bug out is pretty much bug inn , its less than 45 miles but on a different leg of the power grid , and we have generators too . ( heck ya got too out here if you dont have 220 you dont have any water ) anyway in my situation bug in ( within a circle ) seems to be the answer , since a blizzard is the natural disaster for here , and you cant move after it hits , nor can i before ( due to livestock issues ) . I guess my point is before you go to a lot of work and expense for a bug out bag .... ask youself just what is it supposed to do , and where is it supposed to get me . a bag to get you walking 80 miles to a retreat is not the bag you want to get you back home to pick up your family . Nor are the bag(s) you start out from your home, family in tow , likely to be the same bag you have at reach everyday . BOB is an easy thing to discuss online , but kinda harsh to actualy prepare for , not the least of is to establish if you actualy want or need to bug out or bug inn . Just food for thought . but in my estimation the BOB like your carry gun caliber is the least of any planning for defense .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i love that smiths kits except the wheelies use the crappy sigma what a joke

Links