Jerk or not?

This is a discussion on Jerk or not? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sent an email to a particular distributer of a certain brand pistol to ask about availability and lay away. I got this answer on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerk or not?

Jerk or not?

I sent an email to a particular distributer of a certain brand pistol to ask about availability and lay away. I got this answer on layaway and I removed the name of the person and brand of the gun:

"After you provide the deposit, you can make payments whenever you wish. When you have paid in full, we will ship you a gun we have in stock or alot to you the next one that's due from XXX. And, of course, we take credit cards.

Thanks,

XXXX"

I then answered:

"Oh, so thereís not a time frame to get it paid off. Not that I would plan on waiting a long time but one never knows what can happen. Iím starting to see a XXXXXX in my future.:) I will see how soon I can have the deposit. Thank you XXXX, I will definitely contact you when I have it."

This person replied:

"Not really -- you misunderstood. If you want us to hold one we've got coming in, we need a $400 deposit. Payments can be made at any time provided the full balance is paid by he time the gun is scheduled to arrive. Otherwise, we can't hold it for you. We want to be flexible but we don't want to act as a savings repository for you either. It would be best if you went through a bank for that."

That to me seems like kind of a wisea$$ answer. Clarifying it I can live with even though the original answer was misleading, but the savings and bank to me seems unnecessary. Jerk or not?
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "Not really -- you misunderstood."

I'd say that first reply was not clear at all.
    And just sending you a Copy & Paste of their terms & conditions would have sufficed without the slightly smart a$$ subtle & condescending additional comments.

They would have lost a sale if they sent that to me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    There are lots of gun makers around the world. I would have to check out some of them.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Funny you should say that. This is the message I sent back:

"I did not misunderstand. You said “When you have paid in full, we will ship you a gun we have in stock or alot to you the next one that's due from STI” and you said “you can make payments whenever you wish” which means you stated it wrong as you said when it’s paid in full, not that it must be paid in full by the time it’s scheduled to arrive and payments whenever you wish means there is not time frame to get it paid off. There’s no need to be a smartass about it as the mistake was in how you said it. I never said anything about a savings repository or bank and now I wouldn’t buy one from you with cash on the spot."

Just wondering if I overreacted or if anyone would take theirs as a "jerkish" answer. Many people swear by this business, but I won't buy from them.

Mech this was from a "FULL LINE STOCKING DISTRIBUTOR", not the maker.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

The bank reply was out of line and I would take offense. Live by the sword ......, they just died by it.

bae
    Sounds to me like you are looking to take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportkcjc
    The bank reply was out of line and I would take offense. Live by the sword ......, they just died by it.
    That's the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sounds to me like you are looking to take offense.
    OK, so you must see what they said as not offensive. I did and that's why I was offended. I assure you I wasn't looking ot be, I had before that email made up my mind to send a down payment when I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Louis Rogers
    I agree that their reply was entirely out of line. I doubt it's worth worrying about. In my (admittedly limited) experience there are quite a few people out there who don't seem to understand the rules of customer service. For some reason many of these people find their way into that very field. Gun shop employees (and, apparently, at least one gun distributor employee) seem to fail the basic customer service tests with annoying frequency.

I'd shrug and take my business elsewhere.
    Done, my business is going elsewhere. The funny part is that the person has the same last name as the owner they are probably going to be there quite some time. I don't know if I should point it out to the owner or not since he seems to be a decent guy.
    Last edited by saltysquid; January 27th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Distinguished Member
    Caveat: I am getting old and intolerant (at least that what the wife says, I still think I am 16 and discriminating).

My answer: They can keep their product. I am old enough to know the difference between a bank and a gun store and a "jerk or not"

Jerk.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Caveat: I am getting old and intolerant (at least that what the wife says, I still think I am 16 and discriminating).
    Hehe, sounds like me. Is that Chroizo con huevos?:)

My answer: They can keep their product. I am old enough to know the difference between a bank and a gun store and a "jerk or not"

Jerk.
    I agree.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

All it takes is one smart-ass answer to foul it up for every body. I took it the same way you did. Especially the bank part. I've dealt with customers for years and there was no call for that remark. This was a remark from one person though and probly not the attitude of the whole company. If this happens again I would make it my goal to talk to the owner of the company. This person you wrote to might have had a real bad day. It happens.

Administrator
    I call them the way I read em & if that was their exact reply then it was intended as a smartass smug remark.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

That's the exact reply, I cut and pasted it completely. I don't know if the owner is on this forum or not.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think your right for no longer doing business with them. People might believe that because customer service seems to be becoming a thing of the past so you should just deal with it. I say NO! The reason customer service is going by the way side is because we don't demand it when it is properly due.

That was a smartass remark. I would address this with the owner of the company, and explain why I will no longer do business there and why I will never recommend them either.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

You voted with your feet - the most powerful vote for or against a business. They'll ultimately "get it", or someday fail. You did right.

nope i agree i would be p.o'ed also and go else where would be the first time i did you call all the local gun shops around me and ask when i last bought a gun you will find most will say a long time ya make me mad i go where im treated good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links