Colt in a lot of financial trouble. Again.

This is a discussion on Colt in a lot of financial trouble. Again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here it is from the Wall Street Journal. Gun Manufacturer Colt Warns of Possible Default - WSJ - WSJ Could this be Colt's last days?...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree203Likes

Thread: Colt in a lot of financial trouble. Again.

Here it is from the Wall Street Journal.

Gun Manufacturer Colt Warns of Possible Default - WSJ - WSJ

Could this be Colt's last days?

With a very minimal line of guns and the DOD slashing budgets I'm not surprised. Many other companies building ar15 style rifles. They don't have a polymer carry type pistol. Lots of people making 1911 pistols. And often for a very competitive price. I'm not at all surprised by this news.

Emotionally, it would be a travesty for such a storied company to fail. The businessman in me realizes that a company that rests on its laurels is doomed to fail. Should they fail, I'm confident that some entity will buy the brand. How the new owners proceed...only time will tell.
    msgt/ret, Aceoky, WHEC724 and 5 others like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member
    I would hate to see such a company go under. It's been such a mainstay in the business, but you can't loose money forever.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

In my opinion, to survive in this market a company has to adapt to demands, and i dont think colt has done that. For me, a Colt is no better option in a 1911 than a Sig or Springfield. Ive owned'em all and ive had just as good luck with other brands for a lot less money. For $1000.00 i can get a great gun with alot more bells and whistles that runs just as good. Colt makes great guns but so do other companies. You can only "ride" a name for so long.
    Czombie, msgt/ret, Lbox88 and 4 others like this.

It's amazing, considering the advantages Colt has had in terms of original designs and name recognition, that it has historically had so many problems making money. Serious and chronic mismanagement.

I mean, come on, look at the Python. Obviously huge demand, bolstered in pop culture by "Walking Dead," selling used for about $1500 on the bottom end. Why not make more?!? Either whoever is running the company doesn't see it because they're stupid, or they lack the manufacturing capacity to tool for it, because they've been stupid in their investments.

End of the day it doesn't matter how good your products are if you don't know how to make money with them.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

ó Captain Bellamy

I hope they simply downsize, reinvent themselves and get back to producing the _consistent_ quality firearms they used to.
    diggler1833 and Recon1342 like this.

I would love to see them bring back the Python. Thing is, they would bring it back as the Python of today, not the Python of the seventies.
    It would have cheap parts, poor finish and poor machining, albeit better than their current line of revolvers. Then there would be Wiley Clapp Pythons and Talo Pythons in an attempt to get them where they should be. Then Colt would flood the market with Tier I, II, III... Pythons.

I'd like to see them temporarily shut down operations, relocate the entire operation to TEXAS and rebuild from scratch, with new management, no unions, and the old revolver lines. They made a terrible mistake when they dropped the revolvers and put all their eggs in one basket.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'd like to see them temporarily shut down operations, relocate the entire operation to South Carolina and rebuild from scratch, with new management, no unions, and the old revolver lines. They made a terrible mistake when they dropped the revolvers and put all their eggs in one basket.
    Fixed it for ya

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I'd like to see them temporarily shut down operations, relocate the entire operation to Tennessee and rebuild from scratch, with new management, no unions, and the old revolver lines. They made a terrible mistake when they dropped the revolvers and put all their eggs in one basket.
    Whec, there, fixed it even better.
    If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quick! Everyone on this forum go out and buy a Colt 1911! That should put them back in the black.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Hah! I already said I was buying my last new Colt after the poor QC of the last one I bought. Simply put they are hit or miss anymore.
    SIGP250 likes this.

Senior Member Array Crescentstar's Avatar
    They drop their iconic revolver line, and then cite "declining demand". I agree with others, they would probably be nothing like the originals.
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

OD*
    Colt did not make a mistake when they dropped the Python (or the whole revolver line), they made a smart business decision that kept the company afloat. Back in the 1980s Colt still had traveling reps, when the reps told us they were dropping the revolver line our first question was why? Quite simple, people wouldn't pay the price Colt had to charge to make them profitable. Very few people back then would pay two and a half times the price of a Smith & Wesson "L" frame "when they were just the same" (which we all know was BS). Only the true connoisseur would pay the price of the Python back then, and there weren't nearly enough back in the 80s.
    Aceoky, Jaeger, airslot and 1 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links