S&w Quality

This is a discussion on S&w Quality within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has the quality of S&W revolvers deteriorated lately? I recently purchased a new Model 22 that had to be sent back to S&W for warranty ...

Thread: S&w Quality

S&w Quality

Has the quality of S&W revolvers deteriorated lately?

I recently purchased a new Model 22 that had to be sent back to S&W for warranty work. In twenty years of carrying I've never encountered any problems like what this new in the box lemon has saddled me with.

In short, light primer strikes, sights way off (not an ammo issue), and a malfunctioning Clinton Lock. This was a brand new revolver that I was looking forward to carrying. My 686 and 442 have never given me problems, nor had the numerous S&W's that I bought prior to 1989.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Bump

I'm bumping this because I never got a response to my question.

I got my Model 22 back from S&W and couldn't be happier. Sights replaced, lock spring replaced, firing pin replaced and some other stuff too. I will have to wait for the "paperwork" to catch up with me since S&W didn't ship it with the gun.

S&W "lost" the paperwork when it went from the warranty repair side to the Performance Center for some custom work. I had an Action Job done as well as having the Hammer "Bobbed" and rendered Double Action Only.

I'm happy with the work S&W did and love this Revolver, but truth be told, I don't think it should've had to go back in the first place. So, are you guys and gals seeing a decline in quality and workmanship on the newer stuff?

Biker

VIP Member
    It's sad that they couldn't do it right the first time...

At least you were lucky with the customer service.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

So far i have been lucky with their wheelies and not had to use service and i bought 6-7 the past 2 years

I do not know about a new revolver with a Model 22 name. There is a Model 22-1 which is a 22LR semi auto which I own.

Are you sure on the model?
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

It's a 22-4. I use 22 to keep it short.

Yes, I'm sure of the caliber. It is 45 acp and uses monn clips.

While the Model # isn't important to me, I was just wondering if anyone has noticed a decline in quality in the last few years or so. This is my third revolver in less than six months and won't be my last.

I was impressed with S&W's commitment to honor their warranty and how fast they got it turned around. My personal feeling is, it's a manmade item. Manmade items break and fail. In short, stuff happens, deal with it.

I grew up with S&W Revolvers back in the 70's and 80's and don't remember an issue like this from when I was a kid. I also don't remember them having the kind of warranty service they have now.

Biker

All my S&W's are older models and I have not experienced any trouble with mine. Steve48

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Can't say anything regarding quality of the revolvers, however I did buy my wife a S&W M&P in 9mm a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. The gun is solid, shoots really well and hasn't had a single hiccup through 700+ rounds.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

New S&W

One of the employees at the gunshop bought a new snub .357 and it was horrible. Wouldn't go around the cylinder once without hanging up. Also just had a new Model 10 that had to go back (new out of the box) with rotation problems and poor barrel/cylinder gap. I have a few older S&W's that I've had no problems with. Don't know what that small sample set means.

Distinguished Member
    I have said before that the only revolvers I have had to have repaired for poor workmanship or failures have been S&W. One for a timing issue (m629) that S&W could never fix, even after 3 times and I have a m29 that has a sticky cylinder release lever that is going back soon.

I have had lots of Rugers, numerous Taurus' and no problems. I have owned 2 S&W and both have or had problems.

These were older guns (80's & 90's) bought new at the time.

EDIT AFTER THOUGHT NOTE: my duty weapon in the Marine Corps, as a pilot, was a M-10 38spl for 5 years and I never had a problem with them.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

S&W quality has really declined. Compare ANY older Smith to Any new one, and you'll see the difference. Part of the problem (the major one) is that the company is on a kick called "Lean Manufacturing". What that is really, is buying cheaper materials, less inspections, and getting the product out the door ASAP, regardless of quality. Their one and only concern is shareholder value. The other problem is the Human Resources Department is committed to "diversity" - which is a great idea, but the experienced people are passed over in order to fill a quota.

Links