The First 48

The First 48

This is a discussion on The First 48 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a good show to watch and learn from because: 1. It shows you how they investigate a crime 2. Shows you how stupid ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: The First 48

  1. #1
    Member Array Maverick7340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    199

    The First 48

    This is a good show to watch and learn from because:

    1. It shows you how they investigate a crime

    2. Shows you how stupid BGs are

    A lot of the time the BG comes in for an interview, never asks for a lawyer and spills his guts. Most of the time the cops having nothing on him and the only chance they have for a case is a confession.

    It shows how the cops act like they are your best friend and someone you can trust to talk to. When they are actually getting something to use against you.

    When I watch that show it reminds me of the tactics cops are willing to use against you to close the case.

    A few weeks ago they had a case of someone who shot and killed in self defense. Lucky for him the barber shop had it on video and they could see he was right.

    I'm not for the BG trying to get away with something. It just makes you think of what we can all expect what will happen in a totally self defense situation that will need to be investigated.

    It puts in prespective the importance of shutting up and asking for a lawyer. No matter how innocent you think you are.

    From the moment you decide to draw your gun and shoot and everthing you do after that, can and will be used against you.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

    John Wayne


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array MNBurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,019
    Great show and I watch it all the time! Most perps are idiots and talk themselves into jail!
    MNBurl

    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Tubby45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Making ammo.
    Posts
    3,054
    I watch it whenever I can. Good show.

    Actually show what a lot of investigation is like.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,548
    Oh, God, guys, don't get me started.

    My line of work is defending people like that and what you guys say is absolutely right: once the idiot sets his mouth to "talk" mode, the game is pretty much over.

    You'd think it wouldn't matter much when the guy is guilty (most are) and when the Government can easily prove it (it usually can), and the guy is going to plead guilty anyway (most do).

    But you lose every bit of negotiating leverage you have as far as a better sentence, lesser charge, etc. when they get diarrhea of the mouth.

    Ugh. No, you don't have to be a genius to be a criminal. In fact, the smarter you are, the better the odds are that you won't be or aren't a criminal.

    Just one more reason why we say in the biz: "You have the right to remain silent. USE it."
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."


    Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Array Rock and Glock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado at 11,650'
    Posts
    12,785

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Just one more reason why we say in the biz: "You have the right to remain silent. USE it."
    This should be a mantra...."Use It"

    Good post, Randy. Good to hear an attorney!

  6. #6
    VIP Member Array Blackeagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    A lot of the time the BG comes in for an interview, never asks for a lawyer and spills his guts. Most of the time the cops having nothing on him and the only chance they have for a case is a confession.

    It shows how the cops act like they are your best friend and someone you can trust to talk to. When they are actually getting something to use against you.

    When I watch that show it reminds me of the tactics cops are willing to use against you to close the case.
    Another good example along these lines is the book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. It follows the Baltimore PD homicide unit over the course of a year (1987 IIRC), and was the basis for the TV series "Homicide: Life on the Street". It's got many examples of how cops rely on confessions, the tactics they use to get them, and how stupid a lot of criminals are.

  7. #7
    Member Array Tros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    489
    It is a good TV show, overall. It is rather amusing how often the perp talks themselves into trouble. I like what randytulsa2 said. It is so true.
    Beretta 92FS

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,054
    Keep in mind that it is a TV show. Everything is not shown.

    With that said, I like the show too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  9. #9
    Member Array mbj0186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    163
    Great show!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63


    Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

  10. #10
    Member Array CharlieMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central florida
    Posts
    310
    Yea! Great show!

    There is a point in every episode that either I or my fiancee would say, "NO! DON'T SAY ANYTHING! ASK FOR AN ATTORNEY!"

    They rarely listen.

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,548

    Hijack/Rant Alert...

    I've watched "The First 48", and I agree with what most people here have to say about it. It's pretty good. I also watch some of the other TRUE crime shows...A&E has a couple ("American Justice") and so does Court TV ("Cold Case Files").

    You'd think I'd be sick of the stuff after rolling in it every day at work, but I'm really not. The shows, IMHO, usually present a pretty good (though often severely truncated) picture of the case.

    I even knew one of the lawyers who represented the murderer (and one of the homicide detectives) on one of the shows once as it featured a (really awful) murder in Tulsa. The murderer's name was Garrison and he really did some bad, bad stuff.
    When the camera flashed to some of the downtown buildings, I recognized them all.

    Anyway, the shows I DO NOT like and CANNOT STAND are those !@#$#@$% @#$$@#$%$ @#$%#@$ "CSI" shows.

    My wife loves them, and she watches them all. The one set in NY, the one set in Miami (where the detectives drive a department-issued Hummer...yeah, right, you LEO's out there tell us how real THAT is), the one set in Vegas.

    Folks, I am here to tell you those shows are (if you are looking for how things really work) ABSOLUTE SHULL - - BITT. Nothing happens as fast they make it out and no LE agency has all the stuff at their fingertips (or the expertise to utilize it) like they depict on those shows. LE labs are usually badly underfunded and overworked. They just don't produce stunning miracles every hour on the hour. They can't.

    Lab stuff for defendants (except really rich ones) is usually even far worse than that.

    I can't even be in the same room when those shows are on for more than five minutes.

    Ugh. Rant off. Soap box down.

    Thanks for listening (or not).
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."


    Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

  12. #12
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    20,054
    LOL, Randy! I cant stand CSI! If I had a dollar for everytime someone tells me "we'll they did this on CSI, why wont you do it to find who TP'd my house?" (Or insert any other minor crime that you want.)
    I would retire, and live happily ever after like a king.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,148

    Now I'm Disappointed...

    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I've watched "The First 48", and I agree with what most people here have to say about it. It's pretty good. I also watch some of the other TRUE crime shows...A&E has a couple ("American Justice") and so does Court TV ("Cold Case Files").

    You'd think I'd be sick of the stuff after rolling in it every day at work, but I'm really not. The shows, IMHO, usually present a pretty good (though often severely truncated) picture of the case.

    I even knew one of the lawyers who represented the murderer (and one of the homicide detectives) on one of the shows once as it featured a (really awful) murder in Tulsa. The murderer's name was Garrison and he really did some bad, bad stuff.
    When the camera flashed to some of the downtown buildings, I recognized them all.

    Anyway, the shows I DO NOT like and CANNOT STAND are those !@#$#@$% @#$$@#$%$ @#$%#@$ "CSI" shows.

    My wife loves them, and she watches them all. The one set in NY, the one set in Miami (where the detectives drive a department-issued Hummer...yeah, right, you LEO's out there tell us how real THAT is), the one set in Vegas.

    Folks, I am here to tell you those shows are (if you are looking for how things really work) ABSOLUTE SHULL - - BITT. Nothing happens as fast they make it out and no LE agency has all the stuff at their fingertips (or the expertise to utilize it) like they depict on those shows. LE labs are usually badly underfunded and overworked. They just don't produce stunning miracles every hour on the hour. They can't.

    Lab stuff for defendants (except really rich ones) is usually even far worse than that.

    I can't even be in the same room when those shows are on for more than five minutes.

    Ugh. Rant off. Soap box down.

    Thanks for listening (or not).
    You mean to tell me that when the 'CSI Folks' found that peanut shell, and analyzed it...were able to tell from the shell, the field it was grown in...the company who processed it...the store who sold the peanuts (with the day and date of purchase)...and the video of the BG buying those exact peanuts...they can't do this?
    Now I'm disappointed...

    Thanks for the update...now my CSI bubble has burst!

    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,129
    I love "The First 48" on A&E and I watch it every week and anytime I happen across a rerun. Heck, if there is nothing else on I will get a couple on the A&E on demand channel to watch while I am on the Nordic Track at night.

    I like it for the same reasons you guys do but I also have a reason that you guys may not have for really enjoying the show. I get to see so much of the town that I live near almost every week on the show. Has anyone else noticed that it is a rare week that goes by where one of the murder investigations followed ISN'T in Memphis? I think the First 48 crew has their own office at the Shelby County Justice Center at 201 Poplar!

    Heck, on the one that was on last Thursday, where the guy beat and dragged the woman from his Dodge minivan, when they towed his van I saw in the shot in the background the lighted sign of an electronics supply store that I have to go to all the time to pick up parts and supplies for work. So I knew right where they were.

    Memphis seems to keep the production staff of that show busy as far as murders go.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

first 48 barber shop
,

first 48 barbershop

,

first 48 columbia sc

,
first 48 episode barber shop
,

first 48 self defense cases

,

first 48 south carolina

,
first48 in south carolina
,
frist 48 in miami,fl in thebaber shop in 2006
,
full episodes of first 48 of barber shop shooting in miami fl
,
south carolina first 48
,
the first 48 self defense
,
the first 48 south carolina
Click on a term to search for related topics.