Insurance companies are scamming gun owners!

Insurance companies are scamming gun owners!

This is a discussion on Insurance companies are scamming gun owners! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wowwww, read this article. Enservio: Gun Owners Lie About Their Insurance Claims - The Truth About Guns A handgun worth $186? On what planet? Even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Insurance companies are scamming gun owners!

Angry Insurance companies are scamming gun owners!

Wowwww, read this article. Enservio: Gun Owners Lie About Their Insurance Claims - The Truth About Guns

A handgun worth $186? On what planet? Even Hi-Points are worth more than that. On top of that they are claiming that people who have their guns stolen or damaged in a disaster are over exaggerating the value of their collection. The audacity of these guys!!!

And people wonder why no one is in favor of mandatory gun owner insurance...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    When i filed a claim for stolen guns, I submitted documentation of costs or proof of replacement value. Insurance coughed up, no problem. What they will not agree to is emotional value. That beat-up rabbit-eared 12 gage double with the broken firing pin your great granddad left you is not made of gold nor worth $1000 on the open market.
    Last edited by OldVet; December 12th, 2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Kasey88, Ianthin, Bama61 and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The cash value they are claiming is probably what a dealer would pay someone for it. Cost to replace it is a different story. What kind of policy do you have.

The article is bogue IMO. They are stating the ACV which is original purchase cost less depreciation over the years. Just like a car. Get a policy that pays Replacement Cost. Better yet, look at your renters/homeowners and make sure you will get paid the whole RC. Many renters and HO's pay up to a limit (for ex....1000K). Get a Valuable Persaonl Property Policy or similiar and make sure you get it written for the RC of all items.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Insurance companies will screw you on other stuff besides guns too - if you let them. When I mentioned guitars and guns to my insurance broker he interjected with, something like, "you need replacement cost insurance." Yes, that's what I needed so that's what I got.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have fought insurance companies 3 times over the value of totalled vehicles, and although i had to take one to court, won my independant appraisal amount over their lowball every time. I could do the same with a weapon, "replacement value" has more to do with condition than location. Take pictures of your insured property.
    american23 and ShooterGranny like this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Agree with others on getting replacement value insurance. That is really the ONLY way to have insurance that is worth paying for!

AND - check to see if there are limits on firearms. We have additional firearms policy through NRA: Lockton insurance company. You aren't covered unless you have done your homework and read the entire policy!
    ccw9mm and american23 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

sounds like that company and so-called "26 year gun guy" called up a Detroit pawn shop to get their estimated values.
    american23 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    The cash value they are claiming is probably what a dealer would pay someone for it. Cost to replace it is a different story. What kind of policy do you have.
    That is "exactly" what is used. That's where their info comes from, and it's wholesale values.

I use a "stated value" type policy..... they pay what's "stated" in the policy and the agreed value up front for each item.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Where is the govt now?
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vice87 View Post
    sounds like that company and so-called "26 year gun guy" called up a Detroit pawn shop to get their estimated values.
    I was going to say consulted with a Chicago gangbanger on the ASV...Actual Street Value.
    vice87 likes this.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    I always wonder how these bean counters come up with firearm values. A few years ago a married couple that are friends of my wife filed Chapter 7 and the Trustee made the husband "buy back" some of his paid for guns from his creditors. I see that here in Oregon the debtor can only exempt "one rifle or shotgun and one pistol, the combined value of which cannot exceed $1,000". Wow, generous. So much for leaving someone going through hard times with means to put meat on the table and defend your home. I know that the guy had an SKS, a .38 special revolver, a 9mm HiPoint, at least one 22LR rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun. I didn't ask because it was none of my business, but I wonder how much extra he had to pay to get his debts discharged.

Quote Originally Posted by american23 View Post
    I was going to say consulted with a Chicago gangbanger on the ASV...Actual Street Value.
    haha. in that case wouldn't it go in the opposite direction? I've heard a Hi-point was worth a grand on da' streets.
    american23 likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Distinguished Member
    I keep pictures of each gun along with a copy of the receipt showing what I paid for it. I haven't had one stolen but I've talked with my insurance agent and he's said this is all I need and they'll cover that cost. I hope he's right.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

IMHO insurance is just another scam to separate one from their cash.
    Bama61, Zralou and american23 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links