Pics of an M&P after 1220 rds w/o cleaning...

This is a discussion on Pics of an M&P after 1220 rds w/o cleaning... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is not in response to the gun cleaning thread, nor do we need to resuscitate that discussion here. I have never shot a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics of an M&P after 1220 rds w/o cleaning...

Senior Moderator

Pics of an M&P after 1220 rds w/o cleaning...

This is not in response to the gun cleaning thread, nor do we need to resuscitate that discussion here.

I have never shot a gun this much without cleaning it, but I had a problem at 300 rounds and I intended to confirm that 'dirty' caused the problem or it did not. IT DID NOT.

To use an over-used cliche, the pics don't do it justice, so here's some verbage to go with the pics. First, after the single mal at 300 rds, I have now fired it 800 times without a problem of any kind.

The gun was dirty, but not like I expected. The frame and slide rails were clean like it had been shot more like 100 rounds than 1220.

Of course, some places had more dirt/debris than others and the pics actually look worse than seeing it face to face if you know what I mean. One absolutely amazing thing to me, was the feed ramp. In an M&P when a round feeds from the mag into the chamber, it nose dives into the feed ramp. I know, I know, I don't like that either, but that's the way it is. If you follow the slide with the least bit of resistance from your hand, the round hits the feed ramp and stops, holding the slide open. But, the feed ramp looked as if it had never been used! No sign of wear whatsoever.

Well the experiment ended yesterday. I cleaned it and fired another 75 rounds through it and it looks like I may shoot another 100 today - to celebrate the Super Bowl don't you know.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 4th, 2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Tangle I uploaded them for you into one of my ftp spaces.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Looks good and dirty, glad it works perfect for ya.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    That doesnt look bad at all. I thought for sure it would have crumbled in your hands at the 1k mark. LOL.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Seems often Ron - there is a break point where a gun in a sense does not get any dirtier thereafter.

Way back when my 226 was acting up - which turned out to be my ''grease drag'' problem - I went thru a bunch of ammo after oil lubing and no cleaning - just made sure lube was adequate. Once receiver area got sooted up after maybe just 100 or so rounds, from then on can't say it seemed to increase. Maybe around muzzle got a bit more sooty but ....... it became self limiting.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That doesnt look bad at all.
    That's kinda what I thought; I was expecting to see a lot worse. The pics are a little deceiving. Most of the 'dirt' is on non-moving parts. E.G. if you look in the slide rail grooves, there's hardly anything there. If you look around the grooves there's a lot of dirt.

Plus, some of what looks like dirt, esp. in one pic, is flashing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I thought for sure it would have crumbled in your hands at the 1k mark. LOL.
    LOL! I hear ya!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Seems often Ron - there is a break point where a gun in a sense does not get any dirtier thereafter.

Way back when my 226 was acting up - which turned out to be my ''grease drag'' problem - I went thru a bunch of ammo after oil lubing and no cleaning - just made sure lube was adequate. Once receiver area got sooted up after maybe just 100 or so rounds, from then on can't say it seemed to increase. Maybe around muzzle got a bit more sooty but ....... it became self limiting.
    That's exactly my impression. I'm not sure how to explain it, but that sure seems to be true from observation.

Tangle,
    One of the local PD's received M&P's for evaluation.
    Each weekend, after the USPSA match, we would burn about two thousand rounds through one of the M&Ps. It had been lubed at the start of the "test" and not cleaned, other than insuring the barrel was clear, through 12,000+ rounds.

There were a few stove pipes (3 or 4?) in that time period and it was with a specific round. We tried to intentionally to make it fail and really couldn't do it.

It's a good pistol.
    Dave

Glad to hear it seems to be working out and that the problem hasnt come back if i was to try a new tupperware pistol this would probley be in in 357 sig i think

As things pan out, it definitely appears as though the M&P will be a formidable alternative for the Glock and XD.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Was helping a new guy with his spanking new MP, man was the slide release stiff and so was the trigger, he wasn't even hitting targets from 7yards. Told him to buy snap caps and dryfire the snot out of it and get a .22cal pistol to practice with. He had been told by the gunshop guy never to dryfire and that .22cal pistols were a "girlie gun" sigh.......

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    Tangle,
    One of the local PD's received M&P's for evaluation.
    Each weekend, after the USPSA match, we would burn about two thousand rounds through one of the M&Ps. It had been lubed at the start of the "test" and not cleaned, other than insuring the barrel was clear, through 12,000+ rounds.

There were a few stove pipes (3 or 4?) in that time period and it was with a specific round. We tried to intentionally to make it fail and really couldn't do it.

It's a good pistol.
    Dave
    Stutter, stutter, gulp,....That is absolutely awsome! My little ole' 1220 rds seem insignificant. I oiled mine before each use if it needed it, but are you saying they didn't even lube it except at the start of the test!?

Administrator
    It's Running Great Now Tangle...I'd say that you can sure trust that baby now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Stutter, stutter, gulp,....That is absolutely awsome! My little ole' 1220 rds seem insignificant. I oiled mine before each use if it needed it, but are you saying they didn't even lube it except at the start of the test!?
    Yep! They lubed it at the start.

The last time I shot it, we had 8-10 magazines and were lined up simply burning ammo through it. We lined up and shot it as fast as possible. Some of the really fast trigger guys could get nine spent casings in the air before the first one hit the ground. I had to leave when we'd run about a thousand through it. The mirage was so heavy I couldn't really see the target.
    Great fun.
    Dave

me

It will have my money

Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    As things pan out, it definitely appears as though the M&P will be a formidable alternative for the Glock and XD.

Yesterday I finallized my decision to purchase the M&P over spring break. Sounds like I made a great choice. Monday the holster gets ordered. Thanks for the info Tangle.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Looks like the M&P is going to be some serious competition in the polymer market. I'd be curious to see how the frames and backstrap joints (at the point where they interchange) hold up over a couple of years of normal wear and tear - will the backstraps still lock in place solidly or develop some play? Any long term finish problems/excessive holster wear? Durability of the frames over time or with exposure to the elements (frame rail cracks, effects of rain/cold weather/hot weather, etc).
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links