Interesting observation at local public range

This is a discussion on Interesting observation at local public range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by packinnova I immediately field stripped his glock and tossed the barrel out into the field of fire. That's great. I'd have loved ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting observation at local public range

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I immediately field stripped his glock and tossed the barrel out into the field of fire.

That's great. I'd have loved to see the look on his face.

Luckily the club I go to is primarily there for guys to zero in thier deer rifles and shoot clay's. So there aren't even many people at the pistol range and none yet have been a saftey hazard.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

2. Remove Ads

Formerly OKC, OK; Currently Karlsruhe, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I immediately field stripped his glock and tossed the barrel out into the field of fire. When he was done with his "***'s" I explained my actions calmly...

That's a great story! I hope he learned something...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I know where you are comin from but - one reservation. Now and again I see as I expect others might, some ''idiot shooters'' ........ and those I do want to pay attention to in case they decide that my direction is where their loaded gun will sweep!

I am lucky and rarely shoot on a crowded range but - oh my - there have been a few times when I could not concentrate fully on what I was doing, because of the need to monitor potential idiots. Blatant ones will usually and hopefully get sent on their way home but there are others who might not be quite as obvious idiots but who are still a liability.

I am convinced there are a few folks in indoor ranges who consider the lane separator baffles are bullet proof!
    I agree with everything you said. That is why I wear a level II vest at the range with side protection.

I prefer my out door range at the cabin.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    I frequent an outdoor unregulated range maintained by the conservaion dept. To be honest I've been reletively impressed by the behavior of other shooters there. I often go if I have a day off during the week and am the only one there. Every now and then a "ya-hoo" will show up who only wants to see how fast he can empty a 30round mag through his AK from the hip while his girlfriend video tapes for a youtube spot, but they are the exception and not the rule at this particular range.
    Sounds like Pigeon Hill Conservation Area, just outside St Joe. I used to go there, until even during the week, some bubba would show up, beer cooler at the ready, crack a cold one and begin to fire up the place. Safety was a bigger concern than being able to practice multiple rounds into multiple targets. Now I go to Parma outside Parkville, paying three dollars an hour and a good range crew seems to keep the bubbas away for the most part.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Senior Moderator
    You know, yesterday I decided not to get into this, because I thought some were exaggerating a bit, and that may be true, but yesterday evening I went to the range help a lady learn to shoot better, and while we were there, two guys and a lady came in and I've never seen such horrible shooting.

There wasn't anything that resembled a 'group' unless you considered the whole target as a group. The lady was using a laser sight and she didn't do any better than the guys.

I couldn't see them because of the 'booths' but I couldn't help but wonder how many times we were swept with the muzzle.

I joined an indoor range a few weeks ago at Mi Tech. Lots of experienced young shooters there. 90% of us handload.

It is a practical pistol club loosely aligned with IDPA. Draw and Mozambique drills at 50 feet run about 3-3.5seconds including draw. These guys are good. Haven't seen a range idiot yet.

ETA: Lots of 1911s in 45. A few Glock 40s. Couple of Berettas. I have the only G30. I am the only one who shoots 10mm. I should have my Kimber in hand and reamed to 10mm by next week. I am going to unleash a firestorm of 10mm hell that range has never seen before. I have plenty of Double Tap 135gr screamers left over to convert some people to 10mm. With my 5" Para I had, people had to move two lanes over because the shock wave was affecting their concentration.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You know, yesterday I decided not to get into this, because I thought some were exaggerating a bit, and that may be true...
    I dont doubt any of the stories here, I've spent to much time on a public range, and have seen most of this first hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Heh - makes one wonder doesn't it? I used to go to an indoor range in Chantilly VA, but with all the holes in the partitions between stalls, holes in the ceiling, the floor (BEHIND the firing line) I just don't like going to the range anymore unless I know everyone there.

HOLY CRAP! Which one was that?! Feel free to PM if you don't want to "out" anyone.

I typically tend to sticking with private land now, I know the people I shoot with, they know me, and all is well. Most of the time they ask me for tips and instruction given my military background and the fact that I'm a fair shot.

Every once in a while I'll hit up the NRA range. They keep things locked down pretty tight there safety-wise; my only complaint is that it's crowded almost every time I go, especially on the weekends.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I have to admit that the range I shoot at is dominated by .45, but then that range is in the woods behind my house. I haven't been to a public range in almost 10 years, and don't want to go back.

I don't have to ask if anyone minds if I pick up brass either.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    HOLY CRAP! Which one was that?! Feel free to PM if you don't want to "out" anyone.

I typically tend to sticking with private land now, I know the people I shoot with, they know me, and all is well. Most of the time they ask me for tips and instruction given my military background and the fact that I'm a fair shot.

Every once in a while I'll hit up the NRA range. They keep things locked down pretty tight there safety-wise; my only complaint is that it's crowded almost every time I go, especially on the weekends.
    Yeah that's why I don't even try to go there anymore...The NRA range is great and they keep it locked down, but it's always crowded because it's great. I don't always have all evening or afternoon or whatever to wait for a lane. I go whenever I can get a chance to get away..which is why I usually end up visiting relatives just over the WV border. I have no problem outing the other folks... the one where I disassembled the guys glock was out at Sleepy Creek WMA out in Berkely. The indoor range was BRA in Chantilly...I heard from a friend though that they recently upgraded their facilities, so I don't know what it looks like since they renovated (part of the problem there was that there was never an RSO on the line in there unless there was already some sort of class or instruction going on) -though they did have SO's out in the store front area. Perhaps I should take a trip out there and see what's going on since they renovated --unless one of you fine folks has been there recently?

I fail to see what is so bad about "rapid fire", actually, thats what I practice, is trying to become as accurate as possible with rather quick 3 shot sets..

If you encounter a BG, you aren't going to hold your breath, shoot, release, wait 2 seconds and repeat..

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by garn View Post
    I fail to see what is so bad about "rapid fire", actually, thats what I practice, is trying to become as accurate as possible with rather quick 3 shot sets..

If you encounter a BG, you aren't going to hold your breath, shoot, release, wait 2 seconds and repeat..
    Nothing is wrong with rapid fire, as long as the shooter can do it well.
    To many noobs go out and try and run a marathon before they master walking.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nothing is wrong with rapid fire, as long as the shooter can do it well.
    To many noobs go out and try and run a marathon before they master walking.
    Exactly! I saw that very thing just the other day at the range. Guy comes in, sets the target at about 15 feet and blazes away. There's no sign of a group. Hits are literally all over the target.

We got to talking and guess what? First time he'd ever shot. He was eager to learn and receptive to a few pointers and naturally things got better. I find that a lot though; people simply want to shoot faster than they're ready for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Exactly! I saw that very thing just the other day at the range. Guy comes in, sets the target at about 15 feet and blazes away. There's no sign of a group. Hits are literally all over the target.

We got to talking and guess what? First time he'd ever shot. He was eager to learn and receptive to a few pointers and naturally things got better. I find that a lot though; people simply want to shoot faster than they're ready for.
    lol hahaha, I haven't run across this because I like out in the middle of no-where and just go out back to shoot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links