Interesting observation at local public range

This is a discussion on Interesting observation at local public range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; about getting shot at a range, than shot in a parking lot...chances in a range are better too... I now only go to one private ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Interesting observation at local public range

I Worry More...

about getting shot at a range, than shot in a parking lot...chances in a range are better too...

I now only go to one private range...extreme safety is on the front burner at ALL times.

It costs me about $150 a year for both my wife and I, but is is worth it. I've been a member there for 3 years now, and I've never seen more than 3 individuals on any line...and never a hole in the line cover...never!

I have been to ranges with 'holes' everywhere, or where the guy next to you points his gun at you while trying to clear a jam...damn!
    I stay away from places like that now...

It's a great range in Gainesville, FL...check it out...Gainesville Target Range...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

The worst one I saw at a local indoor was three guys shooting and having nothing but problems. They were watching me instruct my wife, and noticed I was hitting at what I was pointing at with each shot. As we were chatting, they asked if I could have a look over their guns to help understand why they were jamming. Being a nice guy, as they all were, I took the Beretta's apart, and the guns were absolutely filthy. I got my cleaning kit out, went over basic gun care, the old do this do that, and here is why. Long story short, they were all getting ready to go on the streets as LEO's for a local community. I quickly put their guns back together, told them to go to their armoror and get him to revisit their departments rules on gun handling and cleaning. I also reminded them that those guns are their life blood, so they really need to focus on that aspect. These young men were green as green could be. I hope they made it, as they seemed to have a real heart for the job from visiting with them. As I told them, experience is what you get from practice, and doing things correctly over and over.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    ... they asked if I could have a look over their guns to help understand why they were jamming ... the guns were absolutely filthy ... Long story short, they were all getting ready to go on the streets as LEO's for a local community.
    The world is what we make of it. But one must be conscious in order to result in good things happening. LEO's not caring one whit for the tools that will help to keep them alive when nothing else will? That's like being a skydiver and just shoving the 'chute into the bag after each jump. Two things are true of these guys: (a) the training system they went through was broken; and (b) they weren't thinking beyond the shiny badge and photos with the major. I, too, hope they made it.

On some occasions, I'll do my cleaning regimen at the range, after a shooting session. Often, one or more folks will step up to watch what I'm doing and to ask questions. Newbies, always, it's amazing how a simple cleaning regimen simply escapes people. I'm nobody's gift to cleaning technique, but I'm simple and thorough in the approach and use decent tools/lube for the job. Rod, tip, patches, bore brush / snake, good oil/grease, a good microfiber towel, and persistence to keep going until it's clean. I'm glad when someone begins asking questions, since that is one more person who will now have a greater appreciation for keeping a gun functioning flawlessly. To my way of thinking, it's just as much a responsibility as an opportunity to get intimate with a gun's function. Without that, it's hard to know a specific gun's limitations, whether it's functioning well or poorly. Particularly with a carry weapon, evading this responsibility can get you killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    A lot of the time I am the only person at the range because I will usually go right before close or I will go in the early morning while everyone is at work. I don't like shooting while other people are around. However, when I do see people there, it is usually new shooters or people being taught how to shoot. I see mostly .22's at the range... some .380.. usually smaller caliber. Of course when I leave there is just a thick layer of .40 everywhere.

Most of the shooters will goto pits or washs for shooting around here. More freedom and you can practice your own way. Going to these places will yield larger caliber handgun rounds. Many will generally make their own targets or shoot cans, etc. These places are a re-packers dream. They are just seas of brass.

On another note, I was actually asked if I wanted to "shoot for steaks" by a gentleman on day. His deal was 6 shots, 21', tightest group to be judged by the guy workin the desk. I didn't get to take him up on it because I had to be somewhere, but he was astonished that I could shoot so well for my age. Turns out he was a former NYPD detective. I told him I shoot every week or so. Ive never seen tired eyes get that big.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    The worst one I saw at a local indoor was three guys shooting and having nothing but problems. They were watching me instruct my wife, and noticed I was hitting at what I was pointing at with each shot. As we were chatting, they asked if I could have a look over their guns to help understand why they were jamming. Being a nice guy, as they all were, I took the Beretta's apart, and the guns were absolutely filthy. I got my cleaning kit out, went over basic gun care, the old do this do that, and here is why. Long story short, they were all getting ready to go on the streets as LEO's for a local community. I quickly put their guns back together, told them to go to their armoror and get him to revisit their departments rules on gun handling and cleaning. I also reminded them that those guns are their life blood, so they really need to focus on that aspect. These young men were green as green could be. I hope they made it, as they seemed to have a real heart for the job from visiting with them. As I told them, experience is what you get from practice, and doing things correctly over and over.

Well at least they went to the range and were willing to ask for advice, so there is hope for them. I wished some of our LEO's would come to the range and actually practice and learn that gun owners aren't nutbars!

Indoor Range

I work at a small indoor range, and most of the trigger pullers are just there turning money into noise. Not uncommon to see shotgun pattern sized groups at 25 feet. Many people seem unable to hit a 10 x 10 inch bullseye target at that distance. We have holes in places where there should not be holes. Knock on wood there have been no serious injuries since I've been there. One minor cylinder gap injury and too many slide-bites to thumbs to count. Actual Shooters are rare lately. The public outdoor range is worse, and has had several injuries. I watched a lady shoot her ammunition box off of the bench while cocking her revolver. I've disarmed two people there for my own safety. One of them did not understand why. I don't shoot there much anymore. Is Musketeer around here somewhere? He has PTSD from the outdoor public range. I think he has a permanant itch between his shoulder blades from feeling like he was about to be shot in the back one day while changing targets.

Now I'm just the gunsmith, I don't make any money selling guns and such, and mostly the "job" is what you'd call Daycare if I was a toddler. I make no extra money giving lessons, so if I think someone will like the advice, sometimes I offer. Not all are receptive, so I mind my own business then. Most people improve slightly over 6,000 percent with a simple lesson in grip and trigger control. There is not a really easy way to tell someone they cannot shoot. Attention American men, you are not related to the Duke, or Dan'l Boone. You were not born with shooting skill. The movies are wrong, face it. Also, your laser sight is not like the one the Air Force uses. THEIRS guides a projectile to the target, YOU must still do a little bit to get your projectile near your laser dot.

Another thing I thought I'd mention...Don't try to teach your wife, girlfriend, baby-momma, son, daughter, uncle, partner, etc, to shoot if you could not hit a bull in the butt with buckshot while holding his tail. You are creating another poor shooter who will have a lifetime of bad habits. Also, your first time shooter should probably not start off with your .44. Probably not your .357 either. There is a small possibility that your significant other should not learn from you even if you can shoot well. There is an Ego thing here. Don't say I didn't try to warn you.

On a positive note, we have way too much brass on our range and have trouble getting a reliable person to haul it all away. If you're in the central Florida area...

Reality check time, seriously. I have noticed that even poor handgun shooters improve significantly with a carbine or rifle. Even the worst trigger jerker benefits from good advice and quickly improves. As Shooters, are we really doing all we can to share our sport with newbies and amatures. Keep trying to make a difference. If I have described you above, I appologize. I repeat, there is no easy way to say it. Get some training, make you and yours safer. Do not be embarassed to ask. We will keep your secret. You are endangering everyone, including me, that is around you. If you canot shoot, but think you can, and you screw up in public, you endanger countless gun owners by reputation.

Sorry, long night at work on an overtime shift. Lots of Nascar tourists and I'm at a busy house. Please excuse the rant.
    Last edited by Superhouse 15; February 10th, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo

Administrator
    That was beautiful superhouse. It brought a tear to my eye.

Finally, someone who understands
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I was shooting today and a new guy that showed last week with a brand new M&P was there, on my advice he went and bought a .22cal pistol (A very nice Ruger Target pistol) He can now get hits on the paper at 7m (7yards+a bit) I spent half-hour working on his grip last week and he remembered 50% of it. He was very thankful to get help and I am going to encourage him to go shooting with my instructor.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links