Did I make a mistake??

Did I make a mistake??

This is a discussion on Did I make a mistake?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After much discussion with a local gun dealer I purchased a used S&W model SW9C. I took it to the range today and out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did I make a mistake??

After much discussion with a local gun dealer I purchased a used S&W model SW9C. I took it to the range today and out of approx 50 rounds, it misfired almost 10 times. When I fired the last 2 rounds of the 50, the slide would not stay open. I had to manually push the catch up into position.

My intent is to return to the store and find something else but wanted opinions on why this is happening and is it worth fixing. Being used, my choice is credit for something else at the store or send it in for repair.

Thanks in advance...

pass on the sigmas there junk

Get the trade in value.
    A used Taurus will probably cost the same and be far more reliable.

Administrator
    Yes, You made a mistake. Welcome to CC, we'll try and set ya straight for the next time around. Take the credit, and find something else. Run it by us if you want to, we have good knowledge base here, nobody here wants you to make these kinds of mistakes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Take that thing, clean it up, and then, RUN back to where it came from. Tell them you changed your mind, the wife won't allow guns in the house, you are allergic to it, anything, get it gone. Take your time then, come here and ask questions. tell these guys what you want to do with it, how much you would like to spend, what caliber, etc, etc,. Post it in the morning and come back around 8 or 9 in the evening. There will be many suggestions for you to sort thru. Toss out the "You must have" suggestions, "The only guns I buy are -------" suggestions, and then read the rest. The people here will show you the way. If you have a place that rents, go there. Got friends, talk to them. This is my thoughts.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

THe smegmas',..uh....sigmas' always left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Good luck on getting back yer funds...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your unsuccessful gun purchase. If you can't get your money back, there is a small chance it is just finicky on the ammo or that it just needs a little work. I would start with ammo, then maybe try a new magazine, and last hand it over to a good gunsmith. Good luck and post here what you do with it.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Smegmas and bad taste in your mouth? I somehow don't think you really want to make that analogy.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    Smegmas and bad taste in your mouth? I somehow don't think you really want to make that analogy.
    OY!!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Hello Rosgood DO NT FEEL BAD THERE SO VERY Nice
    IN THE HAND & A 9MM to boot.... most were made in 380

I bought one and had the same happen to me! first time to range stove pipes, FTF,
    I had bought one like new in the box that was so nice "extra clips" & blue S&W tuperwhere & paperwork the first time to range my hand was so sore I had to put ice on it..ooooh faaa "no wonder it only cost 150.00 from this nice old lady! ANYWAY I did find a a great guy at he gun show that loves them and gave me a great trade on a jframe.

'get that store credit for something else"
    lots of good buys out there right now but get J frame in 38 or the
    SP101 2/12 or 3" in 357 everyone should get one or the other for
    full time or backup

Also lots of 9mm glocks & with night sights & like all my Taurus cdnninvestments.com < take a look at there police trade in and find a dealer that will only charge you $20-$30 to do the paper work for you.

Let me know what happens & have a great week!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    LOL...I figured someone would catch it...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    LOL...I figured someone would catch it...
    Artz, the master of double entrende!

Welcome to the forum. Yes, unfortunately the Sigma was S&W's Edsel - so many were problematic they gave the company an image problem while the folks at Glock quietly snickered. If the shop where you bought it will give you credit toward something else, take it and do it soon. There are plenty of inexpensive, quality handguns on the market so it just depends on the features you want and your price range.

As far as "why" the gun's malfunctioning it could be something as simple as a weak mag spring failing to engage the slide stop, a worn out recoil spring affecting cycling time, a weak firing pin spring that isn't strong enough to ignite an overly hard cartidge primer (Sellier & Bellot is know for having harder primers than most), all or none of the above. It could also very well be torsional instability within the polymer frame so there's a good chance that even if you replaced every spring in the gun it'd still have the same problems. It's simply a design where the Engineers at Smith & Wesson failed miserably. Sorry it isn't better news but you aren't the first person to get burned by a Sigma.
    Jack

Well, I have a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9VE that was manufactured late last year and I picked up at a real good price new. I bought it because I was looking for a 9mm to shoot, not neccessarily as a carry weapon. Several hundred rounds through it (I think the 7-800 range, haven't really kept track), a couple of malfunctions in the first hundred or so, flawless since. The trigger pull on it is very heavy, but I can deal with that. It's been carried a few times, but is for the most part a range gun, and fills that role very well. My understanding is the early runs were junk, and recent ones are actually pretty well made, but the damage to the name has been done, and most people have long memories for such things.

Yours sounds like a lemon, and is probably one of the older ones because I don't think they make the "C" models anymore, at least there aren't any on S&W's website. Try to trade it in.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

...all I can say...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links