Dave Sevigny wins USPSA Limited with a G35! Why's that significant?

This is a discussion on Dave Sevigny wins USPSA Limited with a G35! Why's that significant? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; srfl, You know I hate to say this, because I know you and I both love Berettas, but the other day I decided to carry ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dave Sevigny wins USPSA Limited with a G35! Why's that significant?

Senior Moderator
    srfl,

You know I hate to say this, because I know you and I both love Berettas, but the other day I decided to carry my 92FS with the new 18 round mag. I put 'er on and thought, my goodness I don't remember this being so heavy.

I weighed my 92FS with 18 rounds and my M&P with 18 rounds and the 92 weight almost 8oz more. Then I measured the lengths and the Beretta was a good inch longer, but the sight radius on the M&P was slightly longer.

Sniff, I'm carrying the M&P now. Kinda just lost interest in my other guns. I miss my Beretta.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    srfl,

You know I hate to say this, because I know you and I both love Berettas, but the other day I decided to carry my 92FS with the new 18 round mag. I put 'er on and thought, my goodness I don't remember this being so heavy.

I weighed my 92FS with 18 rounds and my M&P with 18 rounds and the 92 weight almost 8oz more. Then I measured the lengths and the Beretta was a good inch longer, but the sight radius on the M&P was slightly longer.

Sniff, I'm carrying the M&P now. Kinda just lost interest in my other guns. I miss my Beretta.
    My first off-duty carry gun was a Beretta 92F Compact; down the road I discovered the joys of plastic guns and started off-duty carrying a Steyr S40 which was lighter. I had a minor daliance with a Beretta 92 FC Type M (8-shot magazine), but the fantastic Steyr won me over. I have two Steyr M9's as "game" guns....so buddy, I hear ya!

....I really need to try an M&P!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    If I had the time and money I'd probably shoot my Glock a lot better than I do now.

Ohh, if ever there was a statement that is true of me. . .

Software, not hardware.
    Give the same guy a good sa trigger, or a good da trigger and he'd win with it as well.

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; February 6th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Software, not hardware.
    Give the same guy a good sa trigger, and he'd win with it as well.

Dan
    Are you saying that a $550 G35, with a smoothed trigger and FO sights is just as good as $3000 1911?

Senior Moderator
    Here's something interesting:

A PD has now gone to the M&P:
    http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.p...204-B1-05.html

There are some things said in the article that is a little hard to believe, one for e.g.
    "...Police said the .40-caliber strikes a balance between speed and stopping power.

They had some problems with the .45 not penetrating heavy clothing. Once, a suspect’s wallet stopped a police bullet. Police didn’t want to go to a 9 mm, Corcoran said, because those bullets tend to pass through a person without stopping them..."

Then this is pretty amazing if you ask me, that thing must have been so hot it was smokin'!
    "...During testing, police dropped the guns, banged on them, even put 2,500 rounds through one in 40 minutes......."The gun got very hot, but it still functioned appropriately," Corcoran said.....

Sure, if it fits his hands and puts the time in on it ( and he obviously did). I have seen 'Super' Dave Harrington shoot a stock Baretta 92 series gun like it was full auto. Jerry Muculek (sp?) shoots a tuned da revolver with a full strength trigger return spring faster than 99.9% of anyone with a sa 1911.
    Not sure what price has got to do with it. The article did say the Glock had been lightly customized, so you could add a few bucks. The article finished with the idea that there are certain competitors at that level who could at any time finish first place.
    If shooting a handgun is a matter of doing the basics perfectly every time and getting the time and practice in to get faster and faster, then it stands to reason the same top competitor, given most any functioning hangun, and given the time and rounds to really get to know that gun, has a chance of finishing first.
    Hey, I'm the first guy to tell you I love my STI Tactical (@$1990). I'm also the first guy to tell you my lightly modified g19 (grip redux, night sights, ext mag release and slide release) at $425 shoots just as well, and just as fast in the right hands (not mine).

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; February 6th, 2007 at 09:24 AM.

One thing I will add to my disjointed previous thoughts, is that a good trigger return (by that I mean a consistent break AND a good, quick reset are huge factors).
    The 1911 with a tuned trigger has this quality, as does a Glock, as does a good da revolver. I'm sure there are guns I havent mentioned, but IF the gun does not have these traits, even a great competitor will have a hard time finishing anywhere near first.

Dan

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    ...but IF the gun does not have these traits, even a great competitor will have a hard time finishing anywhere near first.

Dan
    I think we're on the same page but you said initially that it wasn't hardware but software; now you're sayin' hardware does make a difference.

I think the implied hardware/software analogy you make is excellent. The best, fastest computer in the world can't overcome sluggish software, and conversely the best, most concise, fastest software can't make up for slow hardware. It really takes both. I like the example of NASCAR, there's not a driver that could win a NASCAR race with a truely stock car.

I love the Glock trigger, esp. the way it resets. In fact, I'm gonna have to quit talkin' about Glocks or I'm gonna have to go shoot mine.

Yeah,
    I did sort of contradict myself. What may be a more precise explanation would be: quality of equipment being equal, software, not hardware.
    I believe that good 1911's and Glocks are equally suited to good shooting. Prices certainly vary, but quality of equipment doesnt. What I was getting at is that a TOP competitor, given 2 different platforms of equal quality can win with either. Not nececarily(sp?) that he could win with crappy eq, although he will stil probably fare better than average because his software is bettter than average. Make sense?

Dan
    Last edited by jdsumner; February 6th, 2007 at 10:08 AM.

Julie is now some sort of marketing director with S&W. Since joining S&W she has captured a couple more major titles.

I have had the opportunity to watch both Julie and David shoot a couple of matches. They are very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    im sure it was a bone stock glock to not

and what does it mean to me nothing its just a game nothing more nothing less
    Bud, this is not meant as a flame but I disagree with the statement about this being just a game and nothing more or less. I realize that you can pick up some bad habits in competitive shooting but I think the skills you can sharpen in this activity are priceless.

I took two defensive courses a couple of years ago after shooting IPSC for several years. In both classes I was the most accurate shooter. This was because of the practice shooting on the move that you do in IPSC. And before you think I am bragging, I am just a lowly "C" shooter. My current rating is about 52% - need to get to 60% to move up to "B".

The things I needed to work on were the defensive moves such as reloading behind cover when possible, etc.

Now if I can just lose weight and move better!

Besides several in law enforcement are top competitors: Scott Warren (Senior Training, FBI Hostage Rescue Team), Phil Strader (Firearms Instructor US Capitol Police) among others.

I think any activity that lets you practice shooting helps defensive skills.

As for Glock vs 1911, I agree with the statement that you have the best against the best in these competitions. The fact that an "out of the box" Glock took the title says something about Glocks (and NO I don't have a Glock, I am a 1911 guy).
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Senior Moderator
    Sure it makes sense - well to me anyway.

I think there's been a perception, that at the top levels of competition, Glocks could not compete on a level playing field with 1911s. And, again this is not intended to be a Glock vs 1911 at all.

To say that a top competitor could do just as well with a G-35 as a highly customized 1911 goes against popular belief and past results.

Debunking myths and breaking traditions is how 'new and better' always happens. It gets us out of stall mode.

Dan

You could lightly modify just about any ccw-worthy pistol and end up with a trophy at one of these events, I gather (assuming you were competitive in the first place). The Glock 35 in question is also a specifically designed COMPETITION pistol. I doubt you'll find anyone who actually carries one, as they're much larger (mainly longer barrel/slide) than standard issue Glocks.

You can get just as drunk off of whiskey as you can vodka. Name your poison.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

I use my Glock 35 all the time in competition. You don't have to fumble around with the saftey and its really lighter than my 1911. Steve48

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links