Dave Sevigny wins USPSA Limited with a G35! Why's that significant?

This is a discussion on Dave Sevigny wins USPSA Limited with a G35! Why's that significant? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the latest issue of American Handgunner , Dave Anderson's "Winning Edge" column discusses some interesting aspects of Dave's unprecedented win of the USPSA Limited ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

In the latest issue of American Handgunner, Dave Anderson's "Winning Edge" column discusses some interesting aspects of Dave's unprecedented win of the USPSA Limited division with a Glock 35.

What makes this so interesting is that this division has been dominated by 1911s and it has been assumed that DA type guns can't compete with the 1911s SA trigger. Now, the $2000 - $3000 highly customized 1911s have been beat by a lightly modified Glock 35 - well, in the hands of Dave Sevigny.

This may be an interesting situation to watch. This is the second time a non-SA gun has beaten SA guns. The first was Ernst Langdon one or two years back when he beat Rob Leatham, et al with a lightly modified Sig 220 ST with a DA/SA trigger.

I'm not knocking or praising guns here; I just found it interesting and am wondering if new shooting trends are emerging. Be interesting to watch.

im sure it was a bone stock glock to not

and what does it mean to me nothing its just a game nothing more nothing less

If I had the time and money I'd probably shoot my Glock a lot better than I do now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO ( and i strongly dislike glocks ) this is a case of " the man makes the tool " . Glocks are a fine journymans gun that takes minimal skill and cleaning to run to acceptable standards , so many of us look down on them ( myself included ) but they dont lend themselves well to the fine points of pistolcraft. . On one hand we have " $2000 - $3000 highly customized 1911s " and on the other we have " a lightly modified Glock 35 - well, in the hands of Dave Sevigny." .
    I would wager now that he could take a jennings .22 and outshoot most if not all of us lol .

Edited to add :

Congrats to him on the win , i know breaking with the pack was not an easy choice and i am glad it worked for him .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    IMHO ( and i strongly dislike glocks ) this is a case of " the man makes the tool " . Glocks are a fine journymans gun that takes minimal skill and cleaning to run to acceptable standards , so many of us look down on them ( myself included ) but they dont lend themselves well to the fine points of pistolcraft. . On one hand we have " $2000 - $3000 highly customized 1911s " and on the other we have " a lightly modified Glock 35 - well, in the hands of Dave Sevigny." .
    I would wager now that he could take a jennings .22 and outshoot most if not all of us lol .

Edited to add :

Congrats to him on the win , i know breaking with the pack was not an easy choice and i am glad it worked for him .
    He may be able to out shoot any of us with a jennings, but he was shooting against the best with the best.

forgot to add congrats to him and now i remember who he is

as said above this is a man makes the tool deal this guy could have probley won with a saturday night special

He may be able to out shoot any of us with a jennings, but he was shooting against the best
    We can agree on this part of your statement , and i guess agree to disagree with the part that says
    with the best.
    not that glocks are not fine , but you and i have different opinions of just why this feat is remarcable . I feel that a man has shown exilance in shooting to the point that what platform he chooses becomes moot . Hopefully his feat will introduce many more to glocks so they can decide ( as i have ) if a glock is right for them or not . If so fine , if not the search goes on . Personaly i would advise keep what you shoot now and apply range time freely lubricated with mass quanitys of ammo .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Senior Moderator
    You said that you disagree with the part that said, "with the best". You don't think the competitors in the national USPSA Limited Division championships had the best guns they could get?

depends who he was shooting with also some of them that are the best are old dave is a young guy that makes a lot of difference i think also

Senior Moderator
    So the tool makes no difference?

LOL tangle i was hopeing you would overlook that . Personaly i took the " with the best " as an equipment evaluation , not a competetor evaluation . He shot against top hands , he won with a glock . that is facts that no one can argue with . I am not a " weapons snob " nor do i coach folks into " my " guns , if they get along with any reliable pistol then that is the one for them . Howeaver winning a comp with a glock no more validates the action than does it for a 1911 personaly i dont carrry either .

Senior Moderator
    This wasn't about what's better, who's better. It was about a history making event. For the first time since the inception of the USPSA Limited Division, someone with something other than 1911 won it.

I don't know if it was the talent alone, the gun, both, youth versus old, I just don't know. I don't even know that it matters.

On that basis it is remarkable , and as i am shure he would say , you cannot buy your way to preformance , ... no matter what you carry , Just shoot it more and concentrate in the facits of shooting that matter to ccw. honestly i can still shoot a revolver faster and more accurate than i can an auto when i hurry , i do carry auto tho since i am " fast enough " with it and on target enough with it .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ........Glocks are a fine journymans gun that takes minimal skill and cleaning to run to acceptable standards..................
    My reason for three of them in a nutshell If I was more than a journeyman (at best), I might feel different, but right now in my life I like tools that work with minimal input from the grumpy operator......

I just wish I could shoot half as good as he, or many of ya'll here...

1911's are the most beautiful guns around. Nothing strikes the eye like a deep blued 1911 with rich wooden or ivory grip panels. However...in a self-defense mode that I personally have to be in all of the time (LEO) I carry Glocks exclusively! I do not trust my hyde to a 1911...and this is not an uneducated statement - I HAVE carried a 1911 on duty before and after one trip to the range for qualification day - JAM-O-MATIC!

A wise man once said..."1911's are like Harley-Davidsons...beautiful, expensive and ALWAYS needing work done on them!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links