Defensive Carry banner

Canik TP-9 SA 9mm - Reviews

18K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Boomer928 
#1 ·
Howdy. Just wanted to point out this new-to-market Turkish made Canik TP-9 SA 9mm imported by CAI.

It is an exceptional value for the price and some even expect the price to go down some more. This is the second version of this pistol. The first was similar to the Walthar PPQ. This one is more refined and some say it's a HK VP9 clone. They come with an entire case full of goodies and 2 mags. It shoots as soft as a CZ 75 which is really saying something. Made to ISO 9000 standards and tested to 50k rounds so this is a long term pistol in single action only. The first version, the TP-9, was a DA/SA. It's certainly worth a look for anyone looking for a tough 18+1 capacity full size semi-auto. I was able to make some very nice palm size groupings right out of the box at the time I picked mine up and I'm not an expert shooter by any means.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/tp9-sa-black-new-model-18rd-hg3277n

If you go to the above link and scroll down you will see a long list of reviews listed by Classic Firearms.

If you need extra mags; the TP-9 mags with Beretta M9/92 base plates work great until Mec-gar releases extra mags for the TP-9 SA.

See less See more
Reactions: 47Gabe
#2 ·
Looks good and at that price, WOW. If even half the accolades are true, it is a good deal.

Thanks for the heads up.

#5 ·
I'll see what I do about getting some pics. Shooting at approx. 15 yards.

I seen one in person,dry fired it a few times..nice gun but explain to me why the rail is pointing downhill
In the pic and the one I fondled
Looks like an optical illusion to me.

#8 ·
Oh, and the M9/92 +2 base pads will make these 20 rd mags for those wanting the most possible.

I've read where some folks are having trouble getting that 18th round in so I imagine the +2 base pads would make that spring light enough let all 20 rds in.

#10 ·
Thank you. I realized I should have at least wiped it down before taking the pics because the smudges really show up with the flash.

One thing many wonder about is the decocker on top. Since it doesn't go into DA mode and one round is in the chamber but the trigger does not connect; to make it go into SA mode again requires a round check type slide movement. It doesn't take much but it isn't really a practical way to carry. For those who balk at pulling the trigger to get the slide off; the decocker on this one will do. Seems to be the only real function the decocker has unless someone really practiced at doing the round check before going on target if that makes any sense.

If this settles in at around $300; Glock should keep an eye in its rear view mirror because this pistol should give it some competition. Even breaks down the same way as a Glock except easier.

#13 ·
There was one video blog they bought five of them each a different color( Talk about matching your accessories to what your wearing that day)

#14 ·
I was so impressed with the TP-9 SA that I just had to have the first version while they are still available. Still waiting for it to come in.

#15 ·
Well heck. After shooting the first version today I have to say I was really disappointed. Version 2.0 is waaaay better. Maybe I just got a bad one. Hard to say until I shoot another one but for now; the v.2.0 is the one to get.

I will reserve further judgement until I shoot both with the same kind of ammo. I was shooting cheap ammo through the first version today and it had quite the snap to it.

I will check back in when I can do a better comparison but for right now; the second version rocks for sure and the jury is still out on the first version TP-9. They are both rock solid reliable though and I do like the SA/DA of the first version. I just find it safer to carry even though that first shot takes more effort.

#18 ·
I really don't remember. I tend to buy them in bunches of 3 at a time filling in the sizes I have used and just use what fits best. I think this one was a large size. I find them to help me get a better purchase on the grip.

Wish I could be more help...

#20 ·
#29 ·
TP9SA best gun around.

Picked up a TP9SA at my LGD yesterday for $350. Took it to the range today. Straight out of the box 15/18 rounds dead center at 25 yards, and I'll admit it, I'm not the best shooter in the world. The gun ran flawlessly after I dumped the cheap perfecta ammo I had tried running in it. It seems to prefer 124gr. ammo but the 115gr. of a good quality will work fine as well. 150 rounds down the pipe in less than 30 minutes, not one single malfunction, all exactly (or almost) where I wanted them. This gun has one of the best, if not the best trigger I've ever felt on a pistol. This thing hands down puts Glock to shame. You'll hear Glock fanatics and people who mistrust new guns all gripe about the decocker on the top of the weapon. Talk about how it could disengage the weapon coming out of the holster in a need for defense situation. This I have to tell you now, is a load of crap. I didn't experience this once during my shooting session. What they fail to tell you is that the decocker has anywhere between 7-10lbs of required force to disable the trigger and it sits flush with the slide and must be pushed into a well below the slide for it to function. Don't believe the haters out there, if you are looking for a god quality firearm at an affordable price that can fulfill the roles of range gun and EDC or self defense, this is the gun for you. Go to your LGD and ask to see one, feel the smoothness of the trigger, and realize like I did, you just couldn't leave without one of the beauties.

#30 ·
Picked up a TP9SA at my LGD yesterday for $350. Took it to the range today. Straight out of the box 15/18 rounds dead center at 25 yards, and I'll admit it, I'm not the best shooter in the world. The gun ran flawlessly after I dumped the cheap perfecta ammo I had tried running in it. It seems to prefer 124gr. ammo but the 115gr. of a good quality will work fine as well. 150 rounds down the pipe in less than 30 minutes, not one single malfunction, all exactly (or almost) where I wanted them. This gun has one of the best, if not the best trigger I've ever felt on a pistol. This thing hands down puts Glock to shame. You'll hear Glock fanatics and people who mistrust new guns all gripe about the decocker on the top of the weapon. Talk about how it could disengage the weapon coming out of the holster in a need for defense situation. This I have to tell you now, is a load of crap. I didn't experience this once during my shooting session. What they fail to tell you is that the decocker has anywhere between 7-10lbs of required force to disable the trigger and it sits flush with the slide and must be pushed into a well below the slide for it to function. Don't believe the haters out there, if you are looking for a god quality firearm at an affordable price that can fulfill the roles of range gun and EDC or self defense, this is the gun for you. Go to your LGD and ask to see one, feel the smoothness of the trigger, and realize like I did, you just couldn't leave without one of the beauties.
Very glad you're happy with it as are most who own one. I agree with your comments on the decocker as well.

One thing though. I think you may have paid a little too much but that's a minor thing and supporting your FFL is important.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.