22 Conversion: Advantage Arms--What kind of 22 ammo has worked well with your kit?

22 Conversion: Advantage Arms--What kind of 22 ammo has worked well with your kit?

This is a discussion on 22 Conversion: Advantage Arms--What kind of 22 ammo has worked well with your kit? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As stated by Advantage Arms, CCI Mini Mags/Copper Round Nose/High Velocity has been flawless. I don't remember a single failure after maybe 400 rounds. As ...

Thread: 22 Conversion: Advantage Arms--What kind of 22 ammo has worked well with your kit?

As stated by Advantage Arms, CCI Mini Mags/Copper Round Nose/High Velocity has been flawless. I don't remember a single failure after maybe 400 rounds.

As stated by Advantage Arms, Remington Golden Bullets/ hollow points/ high velocity/ (36 grain?) have been very good. Maybe 5% failure out of 525 box.

CCI AR Tactical/ copper round nose/ high velocity has been very good. About 8-10 failures out of 200 rounds.

As stated by Advantage Arms, no Federal has worked well at all. Shot about 600 rounds of Auto Match. Guessing failure about 20-30% of the time.

AA recommends against any Winchester ammo, yet my wife shot a few given to her with good results. Also, a you tube review of the AA kit said Winchester Super X worked well for him.

What types have you tried and what were the results?

Thanks

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I've used CCI Mini-Mags exclusively in my G30 AA kit. Originally I would get a few failures at aboout 80-100 rounds from the gunk that built up. Since then I've switched to Froglube on the kit and it's worked much better. Haven't had the chance to try other brands.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Mini-Mags are the only ones I've found to work with any amount of certainty.
    *WARNING - I may or may not know what I am talking about.

From their website:

"Q: What type of ammo is recommended? A: The conversion kit works best with 40 grain High Velocity ammo, however, we have found Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets also work very well."

I've had this conversion for a while. 2 critical items to keep range time issues to a minimum.

Run clean and well oiled. Oil collects a lot of gunk. So I clean it after every use. I tend to do that with any firearm I go to the range with. It is as close to a must as it can be with the conversion kit.

I don't ever remember not having at least one issue every time I use it at the range. Normally 120 rounds. The ratio just tends to be one or two FTF or stove pipes.

Ammo:
    CCI tended to stove pipe is memory serves, never a FTF. Still 1 out of 100 average.

Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets run great in it. Still a 1 out of 100 / 200 with a FTF, stove pipe, and even an occasional failure to extract. Never really the first 20 to 40 rounds.

Some blame the ammo, especially the FTF, but I don't think that is it. The rounds always work on the second try. In addition, often I plink with a 10/22 with the same Remington rounds. More like a 1 out of 1000 rounds has an issue with the 10/22. Could be a combination of the quality of the rounds and some other factor (even me). I don't think it is just the rounds. Well other than how dirty 22 rounds are. That could be a factor.

As a side note, some may really question the value of this, but I've learned to appreciate the random FTF and stove pipes. I would never use the conversion as a planned sd firearm, so it is good training at clearing issues.

My $0.02.

PS - Conversion is picky, but that is an as advertised. Federal rounds failed. I've had No luck with Winchester .22lr rounds out of the AA conversion. From the 555 pack, super x, and wildcat boxes. What I had assumed, but thought I would give them a try. All ran fine from a 10/22.
    NRA Member

I have 6 AA Kits and only one works with most any H.V. ammo I shoot in it , even Federal Bulk and Winchester Bulk.
    The one that shoots most anything is a first generation kit for a 19/23 that has the funky looking mags. but it also works well with newer mags.

The other five only work with Mini - Mags and Rem. G.B's ( of all I have tried)

Can not see why the older kit works so well compared to the newer ones

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links