Those that just don't understand...

This is a discussion on Those that just don't understand... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Argh, I get so frustrated some times when people always look at me in disgust, or whatever it is, when they find that I'm interested ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those that just don't understand...

Those that just don't understand...

Argh, I get so frustrated some times when people always look at me in disgust, or whatever it is, when they find that I'm interested in guns. My father, for one, didn't understand why I wanted to get a handgun, he was even worse when I went through the process to get my CHP, and just does not understand my interest in guns or why anyone would ever need one etc etc.. I can explain till I'm blue in the face it makes no difference!!

It kind of shocks me considering the fact that he was in the military (didn't go to Vietnam however) and is an "unofficial" Republican. He is a strong Christian as am I, but I don't see anything wrong with owning guns and being a devout Christian, I can see why some might possibly?

I've also had people see such and such gun while browsing ar15.com and ask me "Why in the world do you want something like THAT!?" (like it's any of their business to look at my screen), like it's some kind of SUPER BAD ASSAULT RIFLE (thanks hollywood), I always reply with some sarcast comment like "In case the zombie's come out" to brush it off, but it's still very annoying..

Just a vent post mainly, bla.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Bottom line - some (many) just will never rid themselves of their apparent aversion and dislike. Can't even seem to get thru to most on a self defence level - either they are ''can't happen to me'' and/or ''no one should have guns''.

Funny tho - they always seem to forget about the bad guys!

It remains sadly ''them and us'' and the middle ground is sometimes hard to find and see.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

New Member Array Giggety-Giggety's Avatar
    That's why you have www.combatcarry.com to help relate with what you're going through.

Senior Moderator
    Sometimes people have an abnormal fear of what they don't know or don't understand. Sometimes it's because they've been mislead about guns.

In a friendly way, invite him to go shooting with you. Tell him you'd like his opinion. I've heard of a lot of gun illiterate people takin' to guns after they shoot one.

Administrator
    My opinion is slightly different.

There is no convincing some people but, you honestly only need to convince yourself.
    It's your life & if you're an adult and it's your personal opinion that your precious life is valuable enough to you that you're willing to take on the personal responsibility in order to protect your life should the need ever arise...then that is all that you need be concerned with.

With your family there is no reason why you cannot keep a low and unobtrusive profile with your carry firearm.
    It's very good practice for you.
    Keep it under & keep quiet about it.
    People (in general) should never know that you are carrying unless you intentionally want them to know for some specific reason.

Hopefully, this won't sound harsh but, if you're an adult then you no longer need Dads "nod of approval" on your major life decisions.
    If you live under your own roof and you feed yourself then you make your own decisions and you live with those decisions.

That's the way it is & that's the way it should be.

We get pushed out into a wacky world with one life and we either take that life and make it or we break it or somebody else will try to break it for you. You have obviously decided that you do not want to let some scumbag to break your life for you so you have decided to protect yourself. That's great but, you do not need to make a national advertising campaign out of it. Stay low Stay safe.
    Last edited by QKShooter; February 7th, 2007 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My opinion is slightly different.

There is no convincing some people but, you honestly only need to convince yourself.
    It's your life & if you're an adult and it's your personal opinion that your precious life is valuable enough to you that you're willing to take on the personal responsibility in order to protect your life should the need ever arise...then that is all that you need be concerned with.

With your family there is no reason why you cannot keep a low and unobtrusive profile with your carry firearm.
    It's very good practice for you.
    Keep it under & keep quiet about it.
    People (in general) should never know that you are carrying unless you intentionally want them to know for some specific reason.

Hopefully, this won't sound harsh but, if you're an adult then you no longer need Dads "nod of approval" on your major life decisions.
    If you live under your own roof and you feed yourself then you make your own decisions and you live with those decisions.

That's the way it is & that's the way it should be.

We get pushed out into a wacky world with one life and we either take that life and make it or we break it or somebody else will try to break it for you. You have obviously decided that you do not want to let some scumbag to break your life for you so you have decided to protect yourself. That's great but, you do not need to make a national advertising campaign out of it. Stay low Stay safe.
    Sounds about right, the only people that know I carry are my father, mother, brother, and fiance, thats it.

I wasn't asking for his approval, I was attempting to talk guntalk with him today (recieved upper reciever for an AR15 I am building in the mail), I guess some people don't get so excited over these things haha :D

You may find as time goes on, that some within your circle of friends and family will ask you about the steps they need to take to legally carry even though they might be opposed to doing so now.

My dad and then later, my father-in-law, asked how they could get their license. Both of them were put in situations that made them change their mind about carrying. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes something scary happening to make you realize you are ill-prepared. Until that time, it is quite common to think it can't happen to me and to take a dim view of those who choose to carry.

Rick

VIP Member
    Why would you want such a thing? I have a better one. Why would someone want - to go to the opera, ballet or symphony, collect early Rock and Roll, collect videos, or books, or knives, or baseballs, or coins, or stamps, or oil painting, or antique furniture, or, or, or

Some of them make sense to me and some don't. Fortunately we are all different and some of us share interests with some people and not with others. I have friends who are into fishing - I'm not. I have friends who are into hunting - I'm not. I have friends who are into guns as I am. I have friends who are into science fiction as I am. When I am with friends who are interested in fishing I don't try to pretend I am, but I do take an interest in their enjoyment. There are people who have interests that I can't take any interest in at all. Some of those are my friends and we talk about our shared interests not about the things I just can't really even understand why anyone would be interested in.

I just don't bother trying to talk about guns to people who have no interest in guns. That doesn't stop them from expressing a stupid opinion sometimes. When they do I usually say, "That'sa nice." (post 18) Realize that they are sheeple and hope that they never need to defend themselves.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

pax
    When I first got interested in firearms for self-defense, my mom commented in a negative way that I "sure have a lot of fears." She thought I was paranoid.

Last summer, she and I took a road trip together. She asked if I had my firearm with me. Upon being told I did, she smiled and said, "You know? I feel safe when you're around."

One of these days it is going to occur to her that I feel safe when I'm around, too.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

"That'sa Nice!!!" hahaha, I keep saying that to my self in Borat accent..

that movie was horribly funny..

I had a friend say something to me also about my wanting a ccw.
    he said "your not gonna be one of those a--holes that go to the grocery store with a gun are you?!"

I SAID "YEP"!!

Administrator
    dr_cmg hit a home run with his post.

Sheeple view this is a hobby/sport, maybe it is, but it has very practical benefits.
    I think the only reason people get their panties twisted up over this topic is due to the political climate. If there were a push to ban baseball, would you get upset if some one asked why do you want you to play?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    I had a friend say something to me also about my wanting a ccw.
    he said "your not gonna be one of those a--holes that go to the grocery store with a gun are you?!"

I SAID "YEP"!!
    Drop the lettuce!!! haha

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

My wife still seems amused by my love of guns,

and I can accept that. I grew up in a small town in the 50's where guns were the norm. Most kids would receive a 22 for Christmas or Birthday and it marked a rite of passage into adulthood for them. When I joined the Army I had already been using guns most of my young life, they were a not a weapon to me but a tool for sport. The Army taught me to use the gun as a weapon and in Vietnam I put that teaching into practice and into training young soldiers for combat in later times. I will not bow down to or cow to anyone who thinks I'm a barbarian, a redneck, or a thug simply because I chose to carry a gun. I am the guardian standing at the gates and evil shall not pass, it will not cast it shadow on me and mine, and I will not fear it. Trite? Yes, but when it comes right down to it the right to bear arms is also a burden.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

The media in this country, both electronic and print bear most of the blame for the disdain of firearms. With the advent of instanteous video and news, they can get as much sensatialism as they choose. This can be combated, as long as it is done in a logical manner. Most liberals there is not anyway you can inject logic, they just don't get it. Others, controlled conversation has ways of turning opinion. My wife was one of those, and now she carries, shoots with me all the time, and has a great affinity for guns. She now talks to her women friends, which helps them understand things better coming from her. It is the same with all things in life I reckon....
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links