Who's Afraid of the Housekeeper?

This is a discussion on Who's Afraid of the Housekeeper? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Big dust up on a local board about using housekeepers or cleaning services when you have firearms stored in the house. As you can imagine ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Who's Afraid of the Housekeeper?

VIP Member

Big dust up on a local board about using housekeepers or cleaning services when you have firearms stored in the house. As you can imagine the two camps were divided along the lines of no problem or no way.

Truthfully I had never given it much though before since we have been using the same cleaning service for 10-12 years now without any issues or concerns. We use what I would guess to be a mid size company that sends the same crew out every time and they do our house and the neighbor's house on the same day. They have access to the Stove Palace with a key for the regular lock on our front door but not the deadbolt. They don't touch the basement/mancave as we take care of that (half finished, half unfinished laundry room/storage) and that is where the main safe is. All safes are locked and the ones in the bedroom hidden.

The "no way" camp claims that it's not the cleaning personnel that you have to worry about, it's who they tell that you might own firearms.

Interesting debate locally, what say you, DC?

1) My wife and I are the house cleaning services, so that's not a problem.

2) I miss the Mel Brooks avatar. It was much better than hypocrite Feinstein you use now.
    I know little on the subject so I'll speak at length.

VIP Member
    I had workers in my house and my safe was in the laundry room , well every air conditioning guy and , washer guy would say to my wife ohhh your husband collect guns . So when i was doing a lower level re-hab i moved it in a walk in closet that has a lock on the door . No one sees it now no more comments .

I say it can be either , or someone friendly with the cleaners . IMHO i don't trust prying eyes .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    It's definitely something to think about. I wouldn't like the idea of people at my house without me there. I am curious to see others responses, I have never really given this much thought.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Strangers in the house always afford an opportunity for miscreants to do their thing. No matter, that they're technically hired to be there.

IMO, it just highlights the utility of having an off-limits room or two, having a good safe that's hard to take and where it's unknown it's there, having videocam recording of activity while you're not present, etc. Lacking those things, I'd have problems with unfettered access as well. Who wouldn't?
    Yetiman likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    I don't worry about our cleaning lady. But my wife gets mad when I accidentily leave my gun on the night stand the day our cleaning lady comes to clean the house.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    I had workers in my house and my safe was in the laundry room , well every air conditioning guy and , washer guy would say to my wife ohhh your husband collect guns . So when i was doing a lower level re-hab i moved it in a walk in closet that has a lock on the door . No one sees it now no more comments .

I say it can be either , or someone friendly with the cleaners . IMHO i don't trust prying eyes .

This can actually be a positive. We use a "handyman" that came highly recommended. Great guy, does fantastic work for the things that I don't have time or the want to to do. Over the holidays he was in the basement doing some painting from the water damage episode and saw the safe. He is also a gun guy and we got to talking about our favorite topic and the conversation evolved into how to get a carry permit here in the People's Republic. The next time he came back he told me that he has already set up his training class and I am going to help him fill out his paperwork.
    ccw9mm, welder516, hick63 and 6 others like this.

VIP Member
    My brother had pavers put in by a contractor a couple years ago , and told them they could go in his garage and get water from the refrig. , one of the guys seen his 5 gal water jug with change in it and stole it . My brother guesses approx. 500.00 . He confronted and got a confession and did not pay the owner of the company the 500.00 portion of the bill .

Thief's all around us , even the people patting you on the back .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

an old accounting proverb: "In God We Trust....All others We Audit". When it comes to guns or money, trust no one and take security measures accordingly.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    We have a housekeeper. Friend and fully bonded. I don't worry for a moment. She has been with us 5 years. She needed extra income but was not desperate. I would not have gone with a stranger.

We love it.
    Sister likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    an old accounting proverb: "In God We Trust....All others We Audit". When it comes to guns or money, trust no one and take security measures accordingly.

Mrs. Stove is firmly in this camp, she vets everyone who does work for us back to their mother's cousin twice removed or darn close. I'm more of the let me sit down and have a conversation and get a feel for you type.
    welder516, Aceoky and Sister like this.

I would never hire a cleaning service. Cleaning companies typically don't pay well for what is fairly hard and rather unpleasant work. There tends to be a very high turn over for these exact reasons and not always a lot of high quality applicants for these companies to choose from. I say these things based on my experience and observations with the cleaning company from a former job. No way would I want the majority of people that worked there in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by puffy_cat View Post
    I would never hire a cleaning service. Cleaning companies typically don't pay well for what is fairly hard and rather unpleasant work. There tends to be a very high turn over for these exact reasons and not always a lot of high quality applicants for these companies to choose from. I say these things based on my experience and observations with the cleaning company from a former job. No way would I want the majority of people that worked there in my home.
    I would say the opposite of the cleaning people I know. Most like what they do and the fact that they can set their hours around kids , school, their spouse, etc.. Most have been at it for awhile. I have seen a few shady types but they don't stay long. And the kinds of company's that hire shady people don't stay in business long.

I'm not bothered by people knowing I have guns, or that I have several safes. But We are like the Stoveman family We check out everyone that comes to our house. DR
    Stoveman likes this.

My mom cleans houses part time. She is also self employed. Her houses don't need to worry about leaving their guns out, she has her own and we have plenty in our home.
    Stoveman, Aceoky, momsy and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    Thanks Stove Dude! This is one problem I don't have, you made my night!
    Stoveman, Aceoky and Sister like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links