Homemade Targets

This is a discussion on Homemade Targets within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I hadn't seen a thread like this in awhile and we have a lot of new members. But to the point, I want to hear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Targets

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Homemade Targets

I hadn't seen a thread like this in awhile and we have a lot of new members. But to the point, I want to hear about those of you who shoot someplace other than a range. Those of us who truck out to gravel pits, dry river beds, just off the road & down the way, or in your own backyard. What kind of targets do you use? Did you build your own? Or do you just shoot trash like 2L bottles?

This weekend I will be building metal (thick iron) targets to shoot at. My friends and I who took Gunsite in December have been looking into building replicas of the targets we shot there and we are also looking for inventive ideas from you guys.

We used to shoot fruit, cans, bottles, whatever we had laying around but Gunsite put us in a different mindset for putting rounds downrange. Although Cliffh introduced me to shooting potatoes and that is still just cool as hell. lol

What say you?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

My targets range from photos of Osama Bin Laden to tincans and plastic bottles. I learned to shoot playing 'Skip The Can' and shooting empty ammo casings with BB gun and 22, still do it.

I always try and clean up the forest when I go out, bring back more then I take.

paper plates mostly
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I collect old, worn out shirts, hang them on hangers from tree branches overhanging my range, and shoot them. I try to aim for the V on a V neck, or a top button on a button up shirt.

Josh <><

I go here to print targets: http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf.html
    I spend time at a local indoor range, but I also go to our family farm. Target selection is based on whatever items we wrangle out of the trash.

I haven't tried a potato- but I'll bet it's fun.

Senior Moderator
    I use scrap paper from work and print targets on them.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have an outdoor range set up at home with a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I use it to either staple gun targets to or spray paint 3" dots on for practice.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

VIP Member
    attach a stake to a board , drive it in the ground and tape a tgt to the board, also, plastic bottles so I won't get cut cleaning up.

VIP Member
    I build target stands from PVC and use wooden furring strips to staple targets to. You would be amazed how long the furring strips will last even if hit. The plans came from an article in the May 2006 issue of American Handgunner. There was a thread last April that mentioned the article and I build mine just a few days later. You can see what mine look like at the thread PVC Pipe Target Stand Posts 17 & 21.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Cmg those look great!!!! Less than $20 into each target you say? Sounds like perfect stuff for practicing El Presidente shoots! We can cut three of them up and use them for that.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

i use the firring stips, and pvc stands as above they are great, and easy to transport.

VIP Member
    I have the PDF of the article and will email it to anyone who sends me a PM with their email address.

I am still using the original furring strips, but some shooting with an M4 in full auto did a job on the vertical tubes on one set. I cut two more from the PVC that I had left and we were ready to go.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I usually use paper plates, old paint cans (really neat if partially full) or milk jugs - and popping turtles with a .22 on the stock tank is a blast. (If the illegals don't stop breaking into my hunting cabin, I may upgrage to more rewarding targets!!).

just a suggestion. do a search for free targets on the web. find the ones that interest you and make a copy. this becomes your master copy and you can then make your targets using your master and a copier machine. These I tape to the backer on my target stand.
    Cliff

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capbuster View Post
    just a suggestion. do a search for free targets on the web. find the ones that interest you and make a copy. this becomes your master copy and you can then make your targets using your master and a copier machine. These I tape to the backer on my target stand.
    Cliff, Midway USA has free downloadable pistol and rifle targets in PDF format. They print great on a laser printer. Look on the right near the bottom.
    George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links