Wheel guns

This is a discussion on Wheel guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Been thinking about this f/while. I shoot wheels better than autos I think because there is no movement f/slide to get muzzle off target. I ...

Thread: Wheel guns

Wheel guns

Been thinking about this f/while. I shoot wheels better than autos I think because there is no movement f/slide to get muzzle off target.
    I also shoot shorter barrels better since I see less movement of front sight. This is contrary to popular thought that longer barrels are more accurate due to longer sight radius.
    Anyone find similar results ?

2. Remove Ads

I also shoot the small barrel snubs better than the small compact auto's. Just seems natural to me since I learn to shoot first with them. Steve48

VIP Member
    I like a 4-6 inch barrel in a revolver and a 5 inch in a pistol , shorter barrels seem ok out to 10 yds.

Senior Moderator
    I shoot most revolvers better than I do most autos too. This could be becuase I learned to shoot revolvers.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Which revos? Its not a trick question- with the hammerless models, you can choke up on the frame to the point where the barrel is direcly in line with your forearm. You can't lower the bore axis much more.

Revolvers seem to easyer shoot and take a lot hotter loads but theres something about autos. I guess its because they are harder to master.

I love wheelguns and have started buying a few just, "because".

If I get my new job I will be carrying a "slabsides" again, but off-duty I will carry my N-Frame on my CCW.

Biker

Assistant Administrator
    I ''teethed'' on revo's and used to enjoy practical competiton with revo only ........ and I think they can be more accurate. Certainly my N frame shooting used to be pretty good.

But - a good semi with plenty of practice will in the end I think score over them - not just capacity either. Perhaps not quite as ''ready to the hand'' for someone starting off.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I always tell newbies to start with a good K or L Frame Revolver. Once the wheelgun has been mastered, IMO, I think it's easy to switch to autoloaders.

It seems to be much harder to go from an autoloader to a wheelgun for a newbie. At least this is what I'm seeing. What about you all, are you noticing the same thing?

Biker

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I always tell newbies to start with a good K or L Frame Revolver. Once the wheelgun has been mastered, IMO, I think it's easy to switch to autoloaders.

It seems to be much harder to go from an autoloader to a wheelgun for a newbie. At least this is what I'm seeing. What about you all, are you noticing the same thing?

Biker

Absolutely. I think a revolver helps teaches and ingrains the fundamentals that get so easily forgotten with an a semi-auto. Without constant supervision and instruction, semi-auto's with all of the advantages, IMO, tend to create a lot of bad habits and practices for the novice that are very difficult to break down the road.

Liken it to learning to drive a car. Those that started out driving a clutch and stick shift never have a problem when switching to a car with an auto transmission. However if you put someone in a manual car who has only driven automatics before, you should plan on replacing your clutch.

Just my opinion.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I shoot a wheelie better than autos or i used too seems my accuracy with autos is getting dang close to my wheelies

My father-in-law use to only shoot revolvers and can shoot a nats ass off with his model 15-4. I'm ok with the 15-4 and my M60. They are fun to shoot and my wife likes the M60.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links