Any Decent New Or Used Pistols For $200?

This is a discussion on Any Decent New Or Used Pistols For $200? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My Moms friend is looking for a $200 pistol (Auto loader). Is there any available worth buying for that cheep? What are used Glock’s, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Decent New Or Used Pistols For $200?

Any Decent New Or Used Pistols For $200?

My Moms friend is looking for a $200 pistol (Auto loader). Is there any available worth buying for that cheep? What are used Glock’s, and Sigma’s running for?

2. Remove Ads

Well, partly it depends on what the pistol is gonna be used for. Sigmas run about $300 new, don't know about used (some people don't like them, I have one and it works just fine for me.) Police Trade-in Glocks usually go for a bit over 300. Kel-tecs and Bersa Thunder .380's both have pretty good reputations, and can be had for under $250 if you look around. If you can find a Mil-surp Makarov those are pretty good and can be found for under $200 sometimes. $300 bucks is really about where most of the good name manufacturer's base line autos start (Ruger, S&W, Taurus). Under $200 unless you find a good deal on a used gun its pretty much Ravens and Hi-points new, although I'm not sure I'd bet my life on either of those (never had the chance to shoot either actually, but they don't tend to be held in very high regard).

Your mom's friend should probably just save up for a little bit longer, remember that there are all sorts of extra costs (ammo, cleaning supplies, carry rig), that go with buying a firearm.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Stay far away from the Sigmas. You can buy a used Ruger in that ballpark, a Bersa Thunder maybe. Beware, there is a lot of garbage in that price range, and some goo buys too. I'm sure others will chime in....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Assistant Administrator
    Bargains can be found but certainly, don't buy too cheap - just on price alone.

A Bersa .380 could well still be found NIB $219 out the door. If a larger gun manageable then a P series Ruger might be found almost that low used. The Bersa is one of only a few I'd consider new in that price range.

Apart from finding a stellar used bargain - try to up the ante toward $300 - then the choices get much better and broader.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Check out the CDNN used bargains in their very good online ad.
    Likewise have a look at Bud's Gun Shop and Summit Guns.
    You will find that locally guns cost more than these online retailers, but you don't pay shipping and transfer fees so it is often even after that is taken into consideration.

Glocks aren't cheap, and Sigmas aren't very good, they have a trigger pull that can be a problem for some people.
    I recommend a used Taurus semi-auto, a Kel-Tec or a Hi Point. They are all ugly guns but they all work and are cheap.

I'd say either Bersa .380 or maybe find a nice makarov, they're still hovering around 200 bucks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    I'd say either Bersa .380 or maybe find a nice makarov, they're still hovering around 200 bucks.
    If you can find a nice Mak at around $200 grab it. I can find good Maks only from $275 up. Saw the Russian I traded in November on a table yesterday for $275. Saw 2 nice EG Maks for $299 each. You can get the dealer to come off a bit, but not much because they know that the supply has just about dried up.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    The new sigmas are fine to put hi points above a smith and wesson
    product is pure bull.I have a old sigma that very dependable that had
    several thousand rounds through it with no problems.I bought a hi point on a whim and they are junk.The only thing bad about the sigma is the trigger pull.Hi points fill a niche as do sigma but they
    are not in the same league period!

Makarov, Star, and Bersa are three names that come to mind.
    You can find some nice Stars' in 9mm (BM) for 2 bills. Maks are worth the search also. Bersa's are pretty much everywhere.
    If your friend changes his decesion for a revolver. A blued steel snub- nosed Taurus 85 (.38 spec) is pretty easily found for 2 bills also.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by Freedz View Post
    +1. I love my Bersa......it was almost $200 on the dot minus sales tax.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

I have a hipoint also. Mine goes bang every time with either powerball or ball ammo. It however doesn't feed a lot HP very well. It is under $200 new. Having said that I would suggest a revolver rather than an auto. A revolver is easier to learn how to use.

I Don't Buy Cheap Tools...

I don't buy cheap guns...

Don't waste your money...just save some more and wait!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    Makarov, Star, and Bersa are three names that come to mind.
    You can find some nice Stars' in 9mm (BM) for 2 bills. Maks are worth the search also. Bersa's are pretty much everywhere.
    If your friend changes his decesion for a revolver. A blued steel snub- nosed Taurus 85 (.38 spec) is pretty easily found for 2 bills also.

Star BM's are great pistols for the money....but if your Mom is not the most gun savey in the world then I would steer her away from a single action.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

+1 of the Mak or Bersa.

Sill, a good used .357 or .38SP revolver would be in the price range and would be a good defensive weapon.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Believe it or not I got my first Colt 1911 from a pawn shop for $250. It's a Colt MarkIV series 70. It needed a tad bit of work (not much - just the recoil spring etc...), but it's been good to me ever since. I've had it since 2001 and it's still going strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links