Quotes From Clint Smith and Jeff Cooper

This is a discussion on Quotes From Clint Smith and Jeff Cooper within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking that what we need is some pearls of wisdom from the men who know the most about our subject. The defensive ...

Thread: Quotes From Clint Smith and Jeff Cooper

1952 - 2006

I have been thinking that what we need is some pearls of wisdom from the men who know the most about our subject. The defensive use of firearms.
    So here are two of the best in the business. Clint Smith and Jeff Cooper.

Clint Smith, director of Thunder Ranch, is part drill instructor, part stand-up comic. Here are a few of his observations on tactics, firearms, self defense and life as we know it in the civilized world.

Tactics:
    "So a guy says, ĎIím good! I move, I shoot, I communicate.í Yeah, but can you do it on the ground? Because thatís where youíre gonna be in a fight."

Gunfights:
    "Itís real different when the bad guy shoots back. It doesnít mean youíre going to lose, it just makes the story more interesting afterward."

Caution:
    "The best example of good training is to never get in a fight."

Defensive Driving:
    "If youíre accosted, donít get out of the car. Put it in some other gear and put both feet on the gas. Clintís school of driving-add power!"

Running Out Of Ammo:
    "If pointing an empty gun at your opponent makes him duck, you may live for an extra two seconds-and who knows? I may find another gun, the bad guy may give up, or the ammo fairy may drop me a magazine."

Target Recognition:
    "If weíre going down a hall and I see the end of a double barrel shotgun, I better communicate to my partner, Ďcause I can be pretty sure itís not the Easter bunny on the other end."

Marksmanship:
    "Open up the ground between you and the threat. At armís distance, your opponent doesnít have to be good, he just has to be lucky."

Coordination:
    "It doesnít do me any good to have a partner and shoot Ďem-although Iíve had some partners Iíd like to shoot."

Verbal Skills:
    "You better learn to communicate real well, because when youíre out there on the street, youíll have to talk to a lot more people than youíll have to shoot, or at least thatís the way I think itís supposed to work."

Big Bore Sixguns:
    "...He asked, ĎDid you hit him?í Hey, I donít know, but he was smokiní when he ran outta here."

Counting Your Shots:
    "Itís our experience that in a fight you will continue to shoot the gun until the threat goes away or until the gun is empty."

Hesitation:
    "Donít be a deer caught in the headlights of the Kenworth of life!"

Long Guns Vs. Handguns:
    "They say you canít use a rifle or shotgun indoors because a bad guy will grab the barrel. Yeah? Well, he better hang on, Ďcause Iím gonna light him up and itíll definitely be an "E" ticket ride."

Conserving Ammo:
    "People ask, ĎWhat do you do if the guyís on drugs?í Shoot Ďem! ĎBut what if it doesnít work?í Shoot Ďem some more!"

The Defensive Mindset:
    "The only reason we would plant our feet is to dig Ďem real good so we can run, Ďcause weíre about to get the hell out of here."

The Survival Instinct:
    "Anyone can understand shooting to protect themselves. You give me five minutes and Iíll make anyone on this planet mad enough to shoot me. The real question is, will they have that much time in a fight? You need to make that decision before you start to fight-only your life depends on it."

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911
    ďThe 1911 remains popular because itís an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, Iíve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911ís than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals Ė policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on itÖMe? Iíve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. Itís a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, Iím not concerned about tight groups. I donít bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesnít have to expand to be effective.Ē From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

More:
    "The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight. Iíd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Every time I teach a class, I discover I donít know something."

"Donít forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but heís gonna have to beat me to death with it, Ďcause itís going to be empty."

"If youíre not shootiní, you should be loadiní. If youíre not loadiní, you should be moviní. If youíre not moviní, someoneís gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."

"When you reload (in low light encounters), donít put your flashlight in your back pocket. If you light yourself up, youíll look like an angel or the tooth fairy - and youíre gonna be one of Ďem pretty soon."

"Do something. It may be wrong, but do something."

"Nothing adds a little class to a sniper course like a babe in a ghille suit."

"Shoot whatís available, as long as itís available, until something else becomes available."

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. Thatís ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

"Donít shoot fast, shoot good."

"You can say Ďstopí or Ďaltoí or use any other word you think will work, but Iíve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someoneís head is pretty much the universal language."

"You have the rest of your life to solve your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it."

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family."

Jeff Cooper Quotes
    One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street... these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.

The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.

We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in certain circles, that armed robbery is okay as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene.

"The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.Ē
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

DC Founder
    Every one of those are great quotes and many will probably find their way into signatures. Thanks, acparmed!
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

excellent qoutes

Thanks, those are awesome ACPArmed.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Loved them all, thanks much acparmed.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

You want Cooper-isms? Buy a book titled The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip it's a book of quotations compiled by Cooper but by a number of authors. 700 pages of stuff.

Gems like: "Blessed is HE who in the face of death thinks ONLY of the Front Sight!"

"We refuse to consider "WEAPON" a bad word. We were raised to believe that among God's greatest gifts to man are the contemplation of good books, fast cars, beautiful women, real music, great wines and fine weapons."

"As long as one doesn't get into a fight, a nine is fine."

"Peril, not variety is the Spice of life. Cowardice, not cupidity, is the root of all evil."

"One difference between a LIBERAL and a pickpocket is that if you demand your money back from a pickpocket, he will not question your motives!"

"The M16 was designed because the genes of Sergeant York died out. Not only is the average American unable to shoot straight, he won't shoot at all unless the target is close. So we had to develop a spray gun."

"Life is hoplessly complex for people who have no principles."

"Traveling unarmed is like boating without a lifejacket."

"Safety is nice, but it's not first. Life is first and life is not safe."

"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

"The ability to cope with the unforeseen is the measure of a man."

"In war, peace in itself is not an acceptable goal. If you want peace, you should not go to war."

"Carrying a double action 9mm automatic pistol for protection is like playing golf with a tennis racquet. You can do it, but why should you?"
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

1952 - 2006
    Thanks ExSoldier. I love these things.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Here is the website for COOPER'S COMMENTARIES: http://www.dvc.org.uk/~johnny/jeff/
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Sponsored Links