Proper use of Break Free CLP?

This is a discussion on Proper use of Break Free CLP? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a bottle yesterday and it still has the old cap that allows only a drop at a time? $2.99 at Gander Mountain...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proper use of Break Free CLP?

I just bought a bottle yesterday and it still has the old cap that allows only a drop at a time? $2.99 at Gander Mountain
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Am I the only one that just dumps it on a brush and scrubs the heck out of whatever I'm cleaning?
    Well, that's another option, of course.

The problem is, it used to be much easier to "dump it" on a brush with the old droplet nozzle, and now with this . . . Idunno what to call it nozzle, it's a big mess.

I wish someone from product development at Break Free was reading. GO BACK TO THE OLD BOTTLE, YOU FOOLS! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!

BUMP!

I owe it to BreakFree CLP to update this with new information.

I apologize if I cast the product in a negative light because of my own ignorance.

Today I was lubricating my carry gun and for some reason I just tried randomly to poke that little straw into the hole . . . The tube is thicker than the hole is wide, sure, but with a little pressure, the hole turns out to be expandable, and the tube actually goes in and makes a sealed fit and can be used very effectively.

If you have been frustrated like I was because you thought that the cap with the hole was rigid and could not accommodate the tube, check it again but push that tube with a bit of force into the hole and it will penetrate and work well.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I remember when Break Free CLP came in bottles that had a different type of cap. They were the kind that could release a single droplet at a time.

Now, the cap has a sort of divot in the top, and the bottle comes with a plastic tube (pipette?).

How is it supposed to be used?

The tube, in every case, is significantly thicker than the hole in the cap.

You can't stick the tube into the cap (at least, I haven't been able to).

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    Am I the only one that just dumps it on a brush and scrubs the heck out of whatever I'm cleaning?
    I do the same. Marine Corps habits are hard to break. :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

ill be damned. i always wondered *** the little straw was for. I thought the company was retarded or something. it never fit!

Yep, I discovered by sheer bullheadedness ("This HAS to work!!") that the straw does indeed go into the hole in the cap.

ALL this time, I was frustrated and had to use the messy methods.

That said, I still prefer the old "dropper" style bottle tip. Why? Because you can lose the straw, that's why! Without the straw, the bottle is not very good at all. With the straw, you can aim your oil right into the slide rail cutouts, etc. very effectively.

I don't remember if the old bottle came with, or could accommodate, a straw. I have to check, as I have one old bottle (gotta be 7 or 8 years old!) that I can try it with.

But at least the mystery of how to use the new-fangled bottle, for me, is solved.

I never had any problems with it, but I guess it would help if they provided some sort of instructions. I always just used the little red straw thingy. Can get it out a drop or two at a time or squeeze the bottle and turn it into a fire hose.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by jednp View Post
    honestly, when I use it I just put a few drops on a Qtip because I find it to be difficult to use easily too, without making a mess.
    Given that I can't use it at all without making a mess, I like the paint tray method. In the shop on a covered area of the work table, put all parts into a large, shallow paint tray, spray down with CLP, use a stiff-bristle brush to loosen and remove all embedded gunge, etc. I've usually got a dozen Q-tips, and my squeeze bottle is the little 1oz variety. Proper use? Get the job done but don't get any on ya. If you can do that, then that's proper use. How best to do that? Dunno. Haven't found a foolproof method yet.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links