Defensive Carry banner

What do you have in your SHTF bag?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SixBravo 
#1 ·
A post I read yesterday got me thinking that I should start packing a SHTF bag and stop putting if off.

My question is what do you have in yours or what do you suggest should be in there.

I was thinking along the lines of:

AR15
2,000 rounds of ammo for AR15
utility knife
machete or long knife
flashlight with backup batteries
gun cleaning supplies

water
non perishable food
toilet paper
alcohol:image035:
some cash
first aid kit (actually a couple of them)

This doesn't include the stuff I have laying around such as the 1911, xd40sc or Mossberg and a couple hundred rounds for each of those plus a few pocket knives.

What would you add or what do you have in yours? Please explain why.

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything, but if it's a repost just let me know.

See less See more
#3 ·
#7 · (Edited)
This comes up every month or two. It usually sparks a debate about "bug in or out." I spend a lot of time outdoors and doing backpacking - thus I would feel comfortable bugging out with just what I can strap to my back. I have yet to post my entire gear list because it is so detailed and long. My SHTF packing list/bag is identical except I add a few items.

Ya know, I might as well post my packing list. I'll edit the post to reflect what I would bring.

-----------------------------------------
The edit....

Backpack:
ULA Catalyst

Overnight Equipment:
Tent: Sierra Designs Orion 3 AST
Sleepingbag: Campmor 800 Down Bag -20 degree
Ground Pad: Big Anges Insulated Air Core

Food / Stove / Cookware:
Titan 2L Pot (Titanium) - Coated in Black Hi-Temp Engine Paint
Titanium Coffee Mug
Lexan Spork
Supercat Stove (Not a brand name - its an ultralight backpackers stove)
Denatured alcohol for stove
MSR Miniworks EX +Iodine tabs
Accelerade or E-Mer-Gen-C for Electrolyte replacement
A baggie full of Centrum Complete

Clothing / Boots / Etc.
Good Hiking Boots - Your own preference.
Adidas Adissage for camp shoes
Sunglasses with strap (something durable - I use Oakleys)
Wool or wool/nylon socks - I use Wick Dry Off Road Qtr socks
1 set polypropelene underwear - When its cold enough
Wool Cap - I use my Gunsite cap
Heavy-Duty work gloves with liners - I use US Army D3A Shells and wool liners
Chamois - Camp Towel
Poncho - US Army Issue Ripstop

First(Last) Aid / Etc. Supplies
Custom First Aid Kit - I built mine for what I have access to in the wild around here. The other items in it are listed below.
Toothbrush - Cut the handle off to save weight
Foot Powder - Baking Soda (Can mix with salt for toothpaste)
Dry Handsoap
Singleply TP (bring plenty)
Moleskin - blisters
Climb-On Bar - AWESOME for blister prevention
Antiacid
Asprin + Ibuprofin - Asprin will do for aches, but you'll need an anti-inflammatory
Anti-Diherreal Medication - Absolutely 100% required. A bad case will kill you in 48 hours.

Other Neccessities:
Compass
GPS
Steel Ball Whistle
Headlamp
Batteries
Firestarter (I use a combination of Vasoline and Dryer Lint)
Lighters and matches
Sturdy Combat Folder knife w/ serrated blade
Monocular
200ft of paracord
OP Sack - I use an Aloksak... but you only need these and a bearcan if you have to worry about bears.
Duct Tape - 1/4 roll
Plastic Trowel - Dig your own potty

SHTF Items:
Yugo SKS + 120rds. 7.62x39 Hollowpoint
HK USP Compact + 150rds. .40 S&W Hollowpoint
Carton of Marlboro Reds - for trade
Bacardi 151 - multi use

Most people will prefer to bug-out with their cars or trucks. This is fine. You can carry a lot more. I only have myself to worry about so I am fine with this list should something awful happen. But as you can see, this is everything I am prepared to carry. In a SHTF scenario, I would dump a lot of the small junk like my sleeping pad, antiacid, Climb-On Bar, Monocular.... stuff like that. In addition to all this, I have laminated topos of most of the northern state. Minus my SHTF items, my pack weight is 36.2 pounds (including the backpack).

I should also note that some of the equipment I use is NOT for everyone. Especially the ULA backpack. It weighs next to nothing, but it is not built to take abuse or be tossed around.

My advice to those thinking about a serious SHTF bag:
-Use wool or silnylon. Do not use cotton. It won't keep you warm when it gets wet and it weighs a TON wet, too.
-Save weight where you can. Some of my list seems to counter that idea, but I am crazy enough that I cut the tags off my stuff so I can carry other items.
-I will bring books if I have to bug out. They can help pass time and their pages make great firestarters if necessary.
-Pack everything in color-coded freezerbags. This will compress all of your items. Along these lines, pack items inside of items if you can.
-I did not include food because that's a personal choice. I do not reccomend MRE's because of how heavy they are. Food can be done much cheaper, too, and keep just as long.
-Do NOT venture off into the wilderness with a SHTF bag unless you have maps and know how to use them. Knowing the terrain without a map would be preferable as well. As well, know how to use a compass with your maps. A GPS will eventually break or run out of batteries.
-To save weight, remove all items from their original packaging. Place them into plastic sandwhich bags and label them clearly in multiple places.

I'll add anything if it comes to mind.

#9 ·
Let's not forget the gas mask.

#10 ·
IMHO its all good , but what specificly are you buggin from and to . I carry enough in our work trucks to survive a day or two ( weapons rotate with me and are not stored ) and walk back home . ( in my case up to 32 miles ) We dont have katrina ect here in colorado so if you do your needs may well be different . but my point is ... Its great to prepair , but prepair for somthing , have a plan .. then make your kit fit the plan with up to 1/3 more for insurance . for instance i dont pack a lot of water , but i allways seem to have close to 20 50lb feed bags in the back , and a means to make fire so i can make water to drink . I pack heavy on meats and light on crackers since i figure my snacks need to be energy now . thing is with my area , and situation anytime i leave home i am equiped to get back there , and if my home is unliveable my bugout is less than 20 miles away and is a farmhouse . ( i have two of them in different directions , not due to any planning , but due to real life ) . This is what i expect , if you live where hurricains can change your life then your needs are different , but before you ask , tell us what the plan is .

#12 ·
I forgot to mention this earlier, but a similar thread was posted about why "Backpack Survivalists" will ultimately fail or something along those lines. What the thread boiled down to was that if you have a set plan for every circumstance, you're in serious trouble. Your best weapon in a SHTF scenario is your brain and the abilities to remain calm and BE FLEXIBLE will help you survive.

Also remember, your SHTF bag will still work if you bug-in. ;)

#13 ·
Thanks SixBravo... Lot's of good stuff!

Got me to thinking it would really depend on exactly what happened.

Natural disaster like Katrina, not likely to happen where I live, too far inland for hurricane strike, no other major natural disasters that I can think of that would happen here that would paralize the city.

I think the most likely scenario would be a terrorist strike. Hard to predict what exactly will happen then, but it definetly won't hurt to have the basics on hand at a minimum.

#14 ·
Never a problem, man! We're all here to help each other. :wave:

Dallas may be pretty far from a hurricane strike, and terrorism is another animal altogether.... but there are other items. The New Madrid fault is one of the biggest faults in the US and it runs through the midwest - roughly down the Mississippi River. A strong quake there will have serious ramifications down the line to all the surrounding states. The last time it had a major quake on it, the quake rang church bells in Boston (or so the story goes).

We can all prepare for what we think can happen - but its the ones we don't that will get us the worst. Just make sure the family has a general plan and a "bag" with the necessities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.