What do you have in your SHTF bag?

This is a discussion on What do you have in your SHTF bag? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A post I read yesterday got me thinking that I should start packing a SHTF bag and stop putting if off. My question is what ...

A post I read yesterday got me thinking that I should start packing a SHTF bag and stop putting if off.

My question is what do you have in yours or what do you suggest should be in there.

I was thinking along the lines of:

AR15
    2,000 rounds of ammo for AR15
    utility knife
    machete or long knife
    flashlight with backup batteries
    gun cleaning supplies

water
    non perishable food
    toilet paper
    alcohol
    some cash
    first aid kit (actually a couple of them)

This doesn't include the stuff I have laying around such as the 1911, xd40sc or Mossberg and a couple hundred rounds for each of those plus a few pocket knives.

What would you add or what do you have in yours? Please explain why.

I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything, but if it's a repost just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    2,000 rounds of ammo for AR15
    That seems a little heavy. Are you planning on carrying this if you have to bug out?

A look for bug out bag may return more results, although here is a pretty good thread on it.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...22bug+truck%22

I have most of my Bug out stuff in my truck's tool box for a 100 mile hop to my parents house if possible (I'm in college and most of my firearms and ammo are down there) in a SHTF scenario. The stuff I have in it is in this thread

Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    That seems a little heavy. Are you planning on carrying this if you have to bug out?
    Not really planning on taking off. Guess it depends on the scenario. If I do I wouldn't take that much, just what I can reasonably pack. I figure 500 is probably the minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    A look for bug out bag may return more results, although here is a pretty good thread on it.

I have most of my Bug out stuff in my truck's tool box for a 100 mile hop to my parents house if possible (I'm in college and most of my firearms and ammo are down there) in a SHTF scenario. The stuff I have in it is in this thread

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Not really planning on taking off. Guess it depends on the scenario. If I do I wouldn't take that much, just what I can reasonably pack. I figure 500 is probably the minimum.
    I'm a bit confused here. If you're planning for a bug-in situation, why are you putting stuff in a bag? I consider every object in my apartment part of my bug-in kit. The SHTF bag I'm putting together is in case I have to bug out. I do have disaster supplies concentrated in a particular closet, but unless it's something I would take with me if I have to leave, it stays on the shelf. I don't see any reason to bag it if it's not going with me.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    This comes up every month or two. It usually sparks a debate about "bug in or out." I spend a lot of time outdoors and doing backpacking - thus I would feel comfortable bugging out with just what I can strap to my back. I have yet to post my entire gear list because it is so detailed and long. My SHTF packing list/bag is identical except I add a few items.

Ya know, I might as well post my packing list. I'll edit the post to reflect what I would bring.

-----------------------------------------
    The edit....

Backpack:
    ULA Catalyst

Overnight Equipment:
    Tent: Sierra Designs Orion 3 AST
    Sleepingbag: Campmor 800 Down Bag -20 degree
    Ground Pad: Big Anges Insulated Air Core

Food / Stove / Cookware:
    Titan 2L Pot (Titanium) - Coated in Black Hi-Temp Engine Paint
    Titanium Coffee Mug
    Lexan Spork
    Supercat Stove (Not a brand name - its an ultralight backpackers stove)
    Denatured alcohol for stove
    MSR Miniworks EX +Iodine tabs
    Accelerade or E-Mer-Gen-C for Electrolyte replacement
    A baggie full of Centrum Complete

Clothing / Boots / Etc.
    Good Hiking Boots - Your own preference.
    Adidas Adissage for camp shoes
    Sunglasses with strap (something durable - I use Oakleys)
    Wool or wool/nylon socks - I use Wick Dry Off Road Qtr socks
    1 set polypropelene underwear - When its cold enough
    Wool Cap - I use my Gunsite cap
    Heavy-Duty work gloves with liners - I use US Army D3A Shells and wool liners
    Chamois - Camp Towel
    Poncho - US Army Issue Ripstop

First(Last) Aid / Etc. Supplies
    Custom First Aid Kit - I built mine for what I have access to in the wild around here. The other items in it are listed below.
    Toothbrush - Cut the handle off to save weight
    Foot Powder - Baking Soda (Can mix with salt for toothpaste)
    Dry Handsoap
    Singleply TP (bring plenty)
    Moleskin - blisters
    Climb-On Bar - AWESOME for blister prevention
    Antiacid
    Asprin + Ibuprofin - Asprin will do for aches, but you'll need an anti-inflammatory
    Anti-Diherreal Medication - Absolutely 100% required. A bad case will kill you in 48 hours.

Other Neccessities:
    Compass
    GPS
    Steel Ball Whistle
    Headlamp
    Batteries
    Firestarter (I use a combination of Vasoline and Dryer Lint)
    Lighters and matches
    Sturdy Combat Folder knife w/ serrated blade
    Monocular
    200ft of paracord
    OP Sack - I use an Aloksak... but you only need these and a bearcan if you have to worry about bears.
    Duct Tape - 1/4 roll
    Plastic Trowel - Dig your own potty

SHTF Items:
    Yugo SKS + 120rds. 7.62x39 Hollowpoint
    HK USP Compact + 150rds. .40 S&W Hollowpoint
    Carton of Marlboro Reds - for trade
    Bacardi 151 - multi use

Most people will prefer to bug-out with their cars or trucks. This is fine. You can carry a lot more. I only have myself to worry about so I am fine with this list should something awful happen. But as you can see, this is everything I am prepared to carry. In a SHTF scenario, I would dump a lot of the small junk like my sleeping pad, antiacid, Climb-On Bar, Monocular.... stuff like that. In addition to all this, I have laminated topos of most of the northern state. Minus my SHTF items, my pack weight is 36.2 pounds (including the backpack).

I should also note that some of the equipment I use is NOT for everyone. Especially the ULA backpack. It weighs next to nothing, but it is not built to take abuse or be tossed around.

My advice to those thinking about a serious SHTF bag:
    -Use wool or silnylon. Do not use cotton. It won't keep you warm when it gets wet and it weighs a TON wet, too.
    -Save weight where you can. Some of my list seems to counter that idea, but I am crazy enough that I cut the tags off my stuff so I can carry other items.
    -I will bring books if I have to bug out. They can help pass time and their pages make great firestarters if necessary.
    -Pack everything in color-coded freezerbags. This will compress all of your items. Along these lines, pack items inside of items if you can.
    -I did not include food because that's a personal choice. I do not reccomend MRE's because of how heavy they are. Food can be done much cheaper, too, and keep just as long.
    -Do NOT venture off into the wilderness with a SHTF bag unless you have maps and know how to use them. Knowing the terrain without a map would be preferable as well. As well, know how to use a compass with your maps. A GPS will eventually break or run out of batteries.
    -To save weight, remove all items from their original packaging. Place them into plastic sandwhich bags and label them clearly in multiple places.

I'll add anything if it comes to mind.
    Last edited by SixBravo; February 14th, 2007 at 03:26 AM.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm a bit confused here. If you're planning for a bug-in situation, why are you putting stuff in a bag? I consider every object in my apartment part of my bug-in kit. The SHTF bag I'm putting together is in case I have to bug out. I do have disaster supplies concentrated in a particular closet, but unless it's something I would take with me if I have to leave, it stays on the shelf. I don't see any reason to bag it if it's not going with me.
    The bag would more or less just be a way of planning it out and having it together. It also keeps it out of the way as I live in an apartment. Yes, everything in my apartment would be part of my bug-in kit, but looking at what I need to buy to be prepared.

IOW, looking at more of what I need to buy and have, not what I need to pack in a bag.

Let's not forget the gas mask.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO its all good , but what specificly are you buggin from and to . I carry enough in our work trucks to survive a day or two ( weapons rotate with me and are not stored ) and walk back home . ( in my case up to 32 miles ) We dont have katrina ect here in colorado so if you do your needs may well be different . but my point is ... Its great to prepair , but prepair for somthing , have a plan .. then make your kit fit the plan with up to 1/3 more for insurance . for instance i dont pack a lot of water , but i allways seem to have close to 20 50lb feed bags in the back , and a means to make fire so i can make water to drink . I pack heavy on meats and light on crackers since i figure my snacks need to be energy now . thing is with my area , and situation anytime i leave home i am equiped to get back there , and if my home is unliveable my bugout is less than 20 miles away and is a farmhouse . ( i have two of them in different directions , not due to any planning , but due to real life ) . This is what i expect , if you live where hurricains can change your life then your needs are different , but before you ask , tell us what the plan is .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Subscribing.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but a similar thread was posted about why "Backpack Survivalists" will ultimately fail or something along those lines. What the thread boiled down to was that if you have a set plan for every circumstance, you're in serious trouble. Your best weapon in a SHTF scenario is your brain and the abilities to remain calm and BE FLEXIBLE will help you survive.

Also remember, your SHTF bag will still work if you bug-in. ;)
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Thanks SixBravo... Lot's of good stuff!

Got me to thinking it would really depend on exactly what happened.

Natural disaster like Katrina, not likely to happen where I live, too far inland for hurricane strike, no other major natural disasters that I can think of that would happen here that would paralize the city.

I think the most likely scenario would be a terrorist strike. Hard to predict what exactly will happen then, but it definetly won't hurt to have the basics on hand at a minimum.

Never a problem, man! We're all here to help each other.

Dallas may be pretty far from a hurricane strike, and terrorism is another animal altogether.... but there are other items. The New Madrid fault is one of the biggest faults in the US and it runs through the midwest - roughly down the Mississippi River. A strong quake there will have serious ramifications down the line to all the surrounding states. The last time it had a major quake on it, the quake rang church bells in Boston (or so the story goes).

We can all prepare for what we think can happen - but its the ones we don't that will get us the worst. Just make sure the family has a general plan and a "bag" with the necessities.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Links